GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree that is not his natural position but he might end up at PG at least early on. Tough for a freshman PG in the ACC unless a superstar. He may be the only option for a few games. He is more of a spot shooter but has gotten better with his ball handling. I was at the Duke game in Durham his freshman year. He was dribbling to the right of the key without much pressure on the ball and literally just lost the ball off his right hand. Almost happened a couple other times. He has really improved that part of his game since then. I also think he is one of those kids that just doesn't show his emotions. Jose will be hard to replace in lots of ways. It will be interesting to see who is at the point next year.

Did you just forget about Sturdivant?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sturdivant is a good player and will be very important next year. I had not paid attention to him at the point this year. Seemed like Bubba and Devoe were doing most of the ball handling out front when Jose was out (which wasn't very often) this year. Yep we could see him there.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the comparisons between Gregory and Pastner. The standard isn't to be better than Gregory - that doesn't matter. The standard is can Pastner get us to be a routine NCAA tourney team. End of the year we will take stock recognizing that with the current financial position of the AA due to the football commitment AND no fans for revenue sports, Pastner ain't going anywhere.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m very embarrassed for him.
I agree that this team is better than '15-16' but I do miss Adam Smith though. It was a fun season. He could absolutely stroke.

I was at the ACC Tournament comeback against Clemson screaming my head off. The entire arena was behind the Jackets that night.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the comparisons between Gregory and Pastner. The standard isn't to be better than Gregory - that doesn't matter. The standard is can Pastner get us to be a routine NCAA tourney team. End of the year we will take stock recognizing that with the current financial position of the AA due to the football commitment AND no fans for revenue sports, Pastner ain't going anywhere.
Maybe we’ll get bailed out by another team like we bailed out Dayton and Memphis.

Deleted member 2897

Why do some of you want to fire Pastner? Every year the talent on the team gets better. This year we’ve seen we compete with anybody. We’ve taken great teams like Virginia down to the wire. We’ve beaten other great teams. The only single game we’ve not been in was with 1 day off. Last year was our first year over 0.500 in ACC play in like 20 years and we finished 5th. We’re trending to be around the same this year despite bull**** scheduling. We’ll have the most national top 150 guys on our roster that we’ve had since I can remember.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Sturdivant is a good player and will be very important next year. I had not paid attention to him at the point this year. Seemed like Bubba and Devoe were doing most of the ball handling out front when Jose was out (which wasn't very often) this year. Yep we could see him there.
Definitely! He is a pure point guard. I love watching him bring the ball up the court. He’s your typical pass-first PG from what I can tell.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Why do some of you want to fire Pastner? Every year the talent on the team gets better. This year we’ve seen we compete with anybody. We’ve taken great teams like Virginia down to the wire. We’ve beaten other great teams. The only single game we’ve not been in was with 1 day off. Last year was our first year over 0.500 in ACC play in like 20 years and we finished 5th. We’re trending to be around the same this year despite bull**** scheduling. We’ll have the most national top 150 guys on our roster that we’ve had since I can remember.
I am not 100% convinced we should fire Pastner, but mostly for practical reasons about the fact that the alternatives could be even worse. However, I have been lost as a dedicated GT basketball fan, and that is ashamed. I find that I have become very negative about the program under Pastner (and who wants to hear that cr@p?).

For me (and I am no basketball expert), we lose too many games where it looks to me like we have better players than the other guys. Our talent is improving and if we keep Reveno we can continue to get better, but imho, Reveno is really the guy who develops our bigs, and that is where I see the most remarkable player development (not so much in our guard play). And frankly, when we lose Reveno (and we will...someone will give him a shot at being the head coach somewhere soon) then i expect a stiff step backwards in the program.

Pastner's propensity to lose games not only to the Georgia States, Gramblings and Mercers of the basketball world helps make us a bit of a joke but then losing games like Clemson and (this year) Duke are also embarrassments. Losing games where you're better than the other guys is the mark of poor coaching, and makes you miss the Big Dance. Again, and again. And this pattern has been pretty consistent for 5 years now.

Add to that the cherry on top...some of his off court decisions. The way the Institute simply kicked LeBarrie to the curb for his mistake really pi@@ed me off. We let these guys go, they wind up going other places and effectively torturing us for the poor choice we made. LeBarrie did not deserve that.

Ultimately, I see Pastner as an immature coach who doesn't yet have the cohones to step up for the guys around him who might have made a mistake but deserve better, and that he has a ceiling at GT. And this year probably represents that ceiling as a program.

My own take is that we should likely keep him on one more year to see what he can accomplish next year with the 3 incoming recruits, but if it is simply another year like this one (or worse) then I would be spending the intervening months seeing if we could marshal the financial resources to make a change and who might represent a better option.

Deleted member 2897

I would be spending the intervening months seeing if we could marshal the financial resources to make a change and who might represent a better option.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. We do not have the resources to hire a coach at a significant upgrade, nor is there any proof we could even convince someone like that to coach here. Even if someone thinks we can do better (a legitimate feeling), you have to have an alternative.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here is where the rubber meets the road. We do not have the resources to hire a coach at a significant upgrade, nor is there any proof we could even convince someone like that to coach here. Even if someone thinks we can do better (a legitimate feeling), you have to have an alternative.
No argument there. It is why I said it the way I did. But it surely would be depressing if we kept a coach because....this is the best GT can do. It feels like surrendering.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This is a hilariously bad take
The ACC was way way better at that time. Pastner has had 2 seasons to make it work in a bad version of the ACC and he can’t put more then 6 guys on the court. These are all his recruits and we can’t even play a legit 2nd rotation.