GT Athletics Hackathon

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GT embracing being GT

Georgia Tech Athletics Is Looking for a Home Run With New Sports Innovation Hackathon

In partnership with Your Ideas Are Terrible, Georgia Tech Athletics presents The Sports Innovation Challenge, a free 24-hour hackathon focused on innovation in sports and athletics.

During the challenge, teams will build new products or services to fix an existing problem, all within a day. Participants will pitch their final projects to a panel of school and community leaders to win prize bundles full of tech goodies including VR headsets, drones, video games, DraftKings gift cards, game tickets, and a spot in the CREATE-X’s Startup Launch program (which includes $20,000 in seed investment). Participants keep the IP of anything they build.

While open to any sports or athletics-related idea, three main focus areas will include:

• Athletic performance: wearables, data collection, performance analytics, optimization, injury prevention, apparel, equipment, talent evaluation
  • Fan engagement: in-game engagement, deepen relationships/segmentation, communications, sales
  • Operations: ticketing, game-day operations, parking, security, concessions, managing crowds entering and leaving the stadium, venue management
Georgia Tech Athletics has proposed a few specific challenges to consider tackling:

• GT Athletics Student Awards Program: GT students currently do not have a loyalty and rewards program for attending GT Athletic events.
  • Recruiting: Build a platform to find and evaluate student-athlete talent based on GT needs. Subject matter experts (GT faculty, football recruiting, recruiting companies) will be invited to share insights to help teams come up with a workable product.
  • Softball Scouting Report: Ideally, a reporting platform would pull available game score sheet data to auto-build an opponent scouting report. GT currently does this, but it is a manual and laborious process and does not capitalize on data analytics.
The hackathon will be held November 3-4 and will offer participants free food, meetings with professional players and coaches, and a chance to meet with team executives for potential agreements with sports organizations.

Who should participate?

This event is open to students, engineers, developers, designers and anyone with experience or interest in sports, athletics, and solving problems. There are no limits on team size, but 3-5 people are recommended. See here for full rules.

Here’s your chance to hit it out of the park. Register here!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this for those who want to share their good ideas with GT as well as the aspiring Athletic Directors we have on the board. Now's your chance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One way to get more students to attend, especially like at a school like GT? Give them "attendance credits" towards registration. If students attend a certain percentage of a team's (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) home games, they earn say a max of 3 hrs per semester of credits towards their standing with respect to registration times. Obviously it doesn't count towards graduation, but it helps the students earn hours that helps with a better registration time. I think Football would benefit the most since there are fewer home games.

Students must be there for the start of the game, and at least 50% of the second half (for football or basketball) and certain amount of innings for a baseball/softball game.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Let’s build an offensive line full of Shaq Masons, that never gets hurt, and has unlimited eligibility. If we have anything left over left build a QB that can throw the ball as well as Tevin Washington.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is seriously interested in forming a team, I'm in. I am a data warehouse architect with a background in both dimensional and relational data modelling. I can help with any back-end database work. I just don't have the data capture/front end experience.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It’s a shame they didn’t schedule this event on a bye week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

I admit I didn’t read all this, but if Todd Stansbury had any hand in this I wouldn’t be surprised. It really seems like he’s been listening to anybody with an idea, and willing to try just about anything.
This is really great. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see his name in the article, but maybe it's some type of wizardry that only a GT grad who comes home to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, but ran out of gum in the hallway before the interview, can do.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The winning submission was NetPositive, an interactive interface that allows volleyball coaches to utilize data collected from myVERT wearable devices, which are worn by Georgia Tech volleyball student-athletes. NetPositive pulls data from myVERT, uploads it to a database and generates analytics that allows coaches to correlate player statistics with various outputs, monitor season-long trends and even view impact data in an effort to prevent injuries.
This is just really weird to me because what is described here sounds exactly like what the myVERT device is meant to do to begin with. If a group of 4 students were able to make a better analytics tool in one hackathon then the company producing the tool, I am very concerned with said company's likelihood of success down the road.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This is just really weird to me because what is described here sounds exactly like what the myVERT device is meant to do to begin with. If a group of 4 students were able to make a better analytics tool in one hackathon then the company producing the tool, I am very concerned with said company's likelihood of success down the road.
Well I guess I take it back. I guess the business is doing well, though maybe they have no competition.
Used by over 350 universities, colleges and professional teams VERT technology offers player management solutions for individuals and teams.
It seems really awesome they improved this system used by so many teams in one event.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Maybe future employees? ;)
If it’s a good enough product it’d be more profitable to try and sell it as an add on service to other customers (though I’m guessing they signed over their work as part of the hackathon) and then hope to get bought out by said company. So yeah, future employees works :)

I will say that these types of projects are great ways to land jobs in general. Each member of my senior design project was offered to work for our advisor after graduation.