GT athletic dept has amassed $229 million in debt

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The is off the rails. There is something that just doesn't feel right about all of this. I don't feel this way exclusively about GT, but college sports in general.

"Georgia Tech, an athletic department that depends on mandatory student fees to help pay its bills has amassed $229 million in debt, records show.

In 2014, Georgia Tech athletics collected about $5.1 million from students, which covered about 7 percent of the department’s spending. Spread proportionally across the entire athletics budget, that means students covered about $980,000 of Georgia Tech’s $13.3 million annual debt payments on sports facilities including an indoor football practice field, upgrades to the basketball arena, a basketball practice facility and a softball field."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...384dd4-a558-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Student fees for "athletics" is ridiculous. too many schools opening up Pandora's Box only because they can force students to pay for them if they can't make $'s on tickets, donations, etc.

Ask most of the students at KSU (Kennesaw) how happy they are to have increased fees becasue of football or other sports and you'll find they aren't too happy.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Does that shiny new toy really help Colorado recruit? From the results it sure doesn't look that way.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The only way for schools like us and say Wake Forests and Northwesterns and Vanderbilts or Iowa State or Rutgers to survive is by letting the Alabamas of the FBS break off into there own leagues in the future. Let them have there playoff and let us keep the bowls or vice versa. If we are that much in debt I'm sure other smaller schools that do not generate the kind of income like Bama, Oregon or S Cal have to be in a similar spot as us. I'm not saying we need to drop to the FCS but the playing field as far as money is so uneven it's going to kill the mid level P5 programs in years to come. I could be way off base but that's how I'm seeing things.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just read the linked article and came away with this gem..."every dream starts with a dreamer." I am stunned and maybe even transformed. This link is a must read for all.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I just think GT has to be much more innovative and creative in regards to athletics. Embrace innovation and be ahead of the curb instead of playing catch up.

Vanderbilt gutted its AD and since has seen better results in baseball and hoops. Derrick is putting together a great defense and the team is slowly improving. GT will have to think of ways to be cost focused and strategic while being innovative and competitive.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
It is only right for the students to support the school's sports program. If you really want to screw up things even more, toss out the fees. What is the matter with having a little school spirit. We all got into athletic events by using our student ID, and we did not gripe about it, we were proud of the fact that we could go to the games as part of our tuition. GT has gotten to the point that it's students don't have pride in being a Rambling Wreck on Saturday afternoons in the Fall. And that is a damn shame.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The fee is in addition to tuition and other b.s. charges. Some of the fees has gotten ridiculous...and they now have to pay additional if they want football tickets.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Student fees for "athletics" is ridiculous. too many schools opening up Pandora's Box only because they can force students to pay for them if they can't make $'s on tickets, donations, etc.

Ask most of the students at KSU (Kennesaw) how happy they are to have increased fees becasue of football or other sports and you'll find they aren't too happy.

Georgia Southern put expanding its stadium on the backs of its students.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I just think GT has to be much more innovative and creative in regards to athletics. Embrace innovation and be ahead of the curb instead of playing catch up.

1. Replace Coach Paul Johnson & any other AA employee making over 250k with with Computer Paul Johnson & Apps;

2. Travel via hyper loop instead of chartered flight (hey, it's at least theoretically possible, unlike #3);

3. Stop paying Paul Hewitt 1 Million a year; and

4. Invest entire endowment & quasi endowment (see link below) in Bitcoin.

Or,

Kick the debt can down the road. Then, hop on a unicorn and ride in the opposite direction of the can.

#AmericanDream

http://fin-services.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/FY2015 - GTAA - Audited Financial Statment.pdf

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The numbers cited are only part of the story. The headline grabbing amounts of $229million and $13.3 million looks like GT is drowning in debt, but the reality is GT is no where near defaulting on debt payments.

The total owed on the facilities and other projects is $229 million, and the annual debt obligations on the total is $13.3 million (according to the article). What they leave out is the fact that facilities like our indoor practice facility and other projects are financed for the most part by commitments from generous donors like the Brocks (http://patch.com/georgia/midtown/techs-new-football-facility-nears-completion). Also keep in mind, GT is also paid by TV/media contracts, which alone pay for the annual debt service. That's all not including ticket sales, merchandise, marketing agreements, etc. GT has been very good about allocating funds to cover future debt and contract commitments.

I get the gist of the article that schools feel the need to extend themselves to compete with each. The fact is, the athletic department is a business, as are other schools athletic departments. Like businesses from any other sector, everyone needs to invest in infrastructure, staff, and research to compete in their respective sectors.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Have the fo0tball coach post the following notice n all appropriate posts:

"Tryouts for the Georgia Tech varsity football team will be at 10:0 am Saturday July XX, 2016."

End of money problems.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
The numbers cited are only part of the story. The headline grabbing amounts of $229million and $13.3 million looks like GT is drowning in debt, but the reality is GT is no where near defaulting on debt payments.

The total owed on the facilities and other projects is $229 million, and the annual debt obligations on the total is $13.3 million (according to the article). What they leave out is the fact that facilities like our indoor practice facility and other projects are financed for the most part by commitments from generous donors like the Brocks (http://patch.com/georgia/midtown/techs-new-football-facility-nears-completion). Also keep in mind, GT is also paid by TV/media contracts, which alone pay for the annual debt service. That's all not including ticket sales, merchandise, marketing agreements, etc. GT has been very good about allocating funds to cover future debt and contract commitments.

I get the gist of the article that schools feel the need to extend themselves to compete with each. The fact is, the athletic department is a business, as are other schools athletic departments. Like businesses from any other sector, everyone needs to invest in infrastructure, staff, and research to compete in their respective sectors.

I was going to make this point in my OG post. But when I looked at the stats that I was going to use to make my argument look legit, well, I realized it was 45 pages of financial analysis and I didn't care enough to dive into the rabbit hole. However, browsing the future outlook and numbers, I have concerns about GT's AA. I'm not even going to touch the debt payments for capital assets. See page 33 of the link in my OG post. It seems like those donations have essentially been used to pay off old debt, which is subsequently turned into new, larger debt, which in turn pays for the new facilities. I mean, that's American economics 101. I don't have the time or knowledge to say it won't work. It seems like GT knows what it's doing with it's debt service too. I trust them.

The larger problem, it seems, is that we are dependent on the fruit of this space race, i.e. our financial livelihood depends on the Clemsons since our entire future budget is projected on the assumption that TV revenue will continue to exponentially increase. Also, we assume that Students/Alumni will continue pitching in what $18 million a year + tickets (actually, the report hints that we need that number to go way up). Correction: this isn't a space race. In a space race, we'd actually invest the money into discovery, knowledge, things of future use. Lazy rivers and laser tag investments are prob better classified as a bubble/waste.

I love GT football and sports. I think it can and does create goodwill for the institute. I'm thankful for the players, coaches, and memories. But i can't deny that these numbers give me a sense that somewhere in this system we've built, someone's get paid major paper w/o providing their due return. That isn't only unjust, it's bad business.

2014-2015 Operating Revenue
Businesses Sources

$27 Million from ACC (TV)
$7 Million from advertisers (although it appears IMG gave GT the "Park Atlanta" deal)
$12 Million from customers (ticket sales)

Alumni & Student Donations/fees
$7 Million from Donors
$9 Million for "Contributions" (I think this means the money paid by club members?)
$5 Million from students (fees)

2014 - 2015 Operating Expenses
$24 Million in Salaries
$7 Million in Administrative expenses
$7 Million for Travel & Recruiting
$9 Million for player scholarships
$3 Million for other Events
600k for Equipment (PLEASE GOD DO NOT TELL ME WE PAY RUSSEL ANY MONEY).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Yesssss. The problem with this article is like a lot of them on debt, both private and public: it looks at debt and doesn't see what it buys.

The main thing about debt it that you incur it to buy assets. The interest on that debt is the price you pay for progress. If you build things that depreciate at a low rate (stadiums, other athletic facilities, equipment for the program, ect.) you are actually building up your capacity. Even the short term stuff can be quite useful. I see why the the journalists focus on this kind of thing; it's all click-bait these days. Still it bothers the dickens out of me when I see it.

Apologies to those out there who are studying how to or actually run businesses; I know you people live with this every day.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Yesssss. The problem with this article is like a lot of them on debt, both private and public: it looks at debt and doesn't see what it buys.

The main thing about debt it that you incur it to buy assets. The interest on that debt is the price you pay for progress. If you build things that depreciate at a low rate (stadiums, other athletic facilities, equipment for the program, ect.) you are actually building up your capacity. Even the short term stuff can be quite useful. I see why the the journalists focus on this kind of thing; it's all click-bait these days. Still it bothers the dickens out of me when I see it.

Apologies to those out there who are studying how to or actually run businesses; I know you people live with this every day.

I don't think anyone in the banking industry really cares what the public thinks. To the extent that they do care, they'd much prefer that the muppets click on the bait rather than spend that time learning what a leveraged buyout is. Or looking up AIG's dividend history. Or learning what the bailout actually paid for.

But even all that is beneign compared to the unholiest of questions - do debt & interest still need to exist? Digital currencies can do to monetary policy what the Internet did to telecommunications. Ignoring political hurdles, digital money could solve the liquidity trap & defeat the ZLB iff the units of currency were coded to expire. (Essentially, this would mean hitting savers with the "stick" until they invest their money instead of offering carrots to the hoarders of capital to invest their $)

@BigBankFanBoys I hope you're right, especially now that this is a thing http://www.americanbanker.com/news/...ivacy-but-banks-can-restore-it-1078492-1.html

@GTFans sorry for the off topic ramble. I'll self-Censor myself from this thread henceforth