GT AA Board

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is my argument.

His relationship with his players has been frayed the last few years (see the already linked article). 7 of his last 11 signees have transferred out.
His performance has degraded significantly from his early years as he has had to rely more on his recruits and moved up in level of competition.
His record against top 25 teams is abysmal. I believe it is currently like 6-25.
His two highest rated recruits last year came only because he hired their dad as a coach.

We are simply granting a lifeline to a coach who is in trouble - like we did 5 yrs ago.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we are going to go through with this, imo this is what we should do.

No more than $1.5MM per yr. No buyout at all (or at least 1 that is gone after 3-4 yrs).
He has to hire at least 1 former HC as an asst (his X and o's are not strong)
At least 2 local guys.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That looks eerily similar to Daytons 5 years ago. Pastner has a ton more upside though. For the first 16 months the recruiting will be more interesting than the basketball.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Memphis.PNG

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know much about Pastner, but it seems to me like many of the problems he had at Memphis were due to the pressure from fans and AD. We should at least give him a chance and maybe he'll do much better without all the stress. He definitely has the potential to build our program with his recruiting ability so we should just be patient and watch it happen

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea,sure I will call / write / email but,

- will ask that Peterson be canned if MBob is

- will want to know why we expect to drive a Cadillac on a Chevy budget

- want to know why we have as many Students voting on these matters as we do Alumni (people with real world business, working experience). Have checked the BoD of 3 of our biggest rivals and none have such a setup, Maybe we are just trying to be sweet to the lil darlings. Sadly, it could well be hurting very important decisions but what does that matter?

Student Athletic Fees provide as much (if not more) funding to the AA as alumni. It would be ridiculous for the student government to not have a voice on the AA board, especially since they have no choice in paying the fee.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ok I’m as unimpressed with this hire as anybody but to say MBob, who has a proven history of hiring excellent coaches whether I agree with him or not, needs to be fired because you don’t like the first guy he’s hired in any major sport since he’s been here is a bit ridiculous. Personally I at least give MBob credit for at least having the balls to hire JP because he’s probably putting his entire job on the line if it doesn’t work out whereas he’d probably we safe if a potential up and comer like Kelsey didn’t work out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only thing left for me is I want to see the contract.

How bad will we screw that up. I'm really hoping we somehow got Memphis to chip in a little money. And hopefully we didn't give Pastner a big buyout. Also, anything over $1.5MM is too much.

We'll get to see if a coach learns and improves on his second job.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've never hoped to be so wrong on the potential of a hire in all my life. I'm so sick of GT being the worst program in the ACC and one of the worst in high major basketball

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The only thing left for me is I want to see the contract.

How bad will we screw that up. I'm really hoping we somehow got Memphis to chip in a little money. And hopefully we didn't give Pastner a big buyout. Also, anything over $1.5MM is too much.

We'll get to see if a coach learns and improves on his second job.

This. Whether this should be considered a good hire (taking into consideration the coaches that have already turned us down) will ultimately come down to the contract details and the staff he gets. If those things are both in Tech's favor, I am actually good with this move at this time. If the contract is crap, we are paying him too much, or he has a huge buyout, I agree that MBob needs to go ASAP!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I've never hoped to be so wrong on the potential of a hire in all my life. I'm so sick of GT being the worst program in the ACC and one of the worst in high major basketball
Which is why none of the coaches you would like to hire will take the job.
GT has to hire a coach willing to sign a contract. Slim Pickins.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree that MBob needs to go ASAP!

As long as the Board is controlled by academics and not alums. firing Bobinski will make no difference. He would be replaced by someone similar.

I am an adjunct professor at a major university. I enjoy interacting with professors, but I don't want them running my business.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here is my argument.

His relationship with his players has been frayed the last few years (see the already linked article). 7 of his last 11 signees have transferred out.
His performance has degraded significantly from his early years as he has had to rely more on his recruits and moved up in level of competition.
His record against top 25 teams is abysmal. I believe it is currently like 6-25.
His two highest rated recruits last year came only because he hired their dad as a coach.

We are simply granting a lifeline to a coach who is in trouble - like we did 5 yrs ago.

1) Capel had the similar problems at OU. In both cases the hope was they would learn from the experience.
2) Now you're not even trying to be unbiased. Arguing his early success at memphis was because of Cal's recruits is just wrong. Memphis lost it's top 4 players the year he was hired, and his best player in year 1 was a transfer who wasn't on the previous year's team. By year 2 there was 1 holdover, Witherspoon, from the previous staff. Considering he made the NCAAT in years 2-5
3) fair point.
4) Don't confuse something being a factor, with it being the only factor. Even so he also signed two other 4* recruits that same class, and brought in other highly rated classes before that. If you're talking ethics then keep in mind our last coach took transfers from the son of a recruits AAU coach and the brother of a recruit in order to land his two most highly ranked recruits.

Nothing you listed warrants the response of this topic. Hopefully this is all reactionary and you later see that.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan

That was my reaction to the Gregory hire (which is the one that killed the program completely, it was shockingly indefensible). At this point I guess I'm just resigned to the fact we have a series of buffoons running the athletic department and maybe someday they will get bored and leave and we'll have slightly less buffoonish administrators. Until that point, horrible decisions are just par for the course. I'd be more shocked if we made a decent coaching hire, frankly.