GT (+7) vs. VT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What worries me is that we have not been able to get the Bback going against the 3 weakest opponents on our schedule.
What for you defines getting the bback going? Our offense is designed to take what the defense gives you. If they're determined to take the dive and we exploit the edge, how can you be upset the Bback isn't going nuts?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
What worries me is that we have not been able to get the Bback going against the 3 weakest opponents on our schedule.

That's pretty much how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. Teams are going to stuff the dive and make us beat them on the outside. That's the book on us and it works. I like Laskey and Days, but until we get a true stud RB back there ( in other words that was recruited as such) that can make things happen despite a Ds gameplan we are not going to have a real threat up the middle.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
What for you defines getting the bback going? Our offense is designed to take what the defense gives you. If they're determined to take the dive and we exploit the edge, how can you be upset the Bback isn't going nuts?
So why are we still giving the ball to the Bback then? I haven't seen any 9 in the box cover zero either. Our OLine isn't exactly blowing the defense off the ball vs the 3 weakest DLines we will face. As the season goes on we will see better edge players and LBers, and then what? Not saying we can't get the Bback going, just saying we haven't thus far and that is concerning.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That's pretty much how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. Teams are going to stuff the dive and make us beat them on the outside. That's the book on us and it works. I like Laskey and Days, but until we get a true stud RB back there ( in other words that was recruited as such) that can make things happen despite a Ds gameplan we are not going to have a real threat up the middle.
+1. Couldn't have said it any better. We are serviceable and I hope we can pull through but we're not elite.

Good. Not great. And the hill is the culprit.

Animal02

Banned
I don't get it either....If we get 4-5yds a play on the dive....CPJ will take that all day......we don't need the +25 yd plays up the middle if we are taking 4-5 each time.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Because it's been open on occasion. That's the beauty of our offense, the qb reads the situation after the snap and decides which option is best.
Beauty? Thats debateable, but we won't go there. We've gone for 70-80 yards worth per game with the Bback against inferior lines. The best OLine since CPJ has been here, needs to improve quickly or we will struggle badly in conference play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Beauty? Thats debateable, but we won't go there. We've gone for 70-80 yards worth per game with the Bback against inferior lines. The best OLine since CPJ has been here, needs to improve quickly or we will struggle badly in conference play.
Why does the Bback yards matter if we getting great yards in other ways? I just don't get your logic. Defensive coodinators will begin to focus more resouces on stopping JT and the pitch. It's bound to happen since we are gashing defenses on the edge. When that happens the lanes will open up inside.

I don't care where the yards come from as long as we're getting them and finishing drives with td's.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like to me that would be the worst strategy for VT to play on defense. JT has proven he can turn a little into a lot and is faster than pretty much anyone in space. I would think they would try to limit our plays to the outside and force Laskey or Days to beat them. I think JT is our best play maker on offense so if teams continue to focus on taking the b-back out of the offense I am cool with that.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Why does the Bback yards matter if we getting great yards in other ways? I just don't get your logic. Defensive coodinators will begin to focus more resouces on stopping JT and the pitch. It's bound to happen since we are gashing defenses on the edge. When that happens the lanes will open up inside.

I don't care where the yards come from as long as we're getting them and finishing drives with td's.
Typically I don't care either, but we opened up with our cupcake games this year. Had it been better teams we played, I wouldn't be concerned. No excuse not to dominate those 3 teams up front.

Declinometer

Banned
Typically I don't care either, but we opened up with our cupcake games this year. Had it been better teams we played, I wouldn't be concerned. No excuse not to dominate those 3 teams up front.
All three of these games were super bowls for the opponent. Let's not call GS a cupcake just yet. Let the season play out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think anybody playing BB for Tech who is averaging 5.6 ypc and 79 ypg is doing ok, especially since the blocking is, as usual when its this early, still jelling. Also, Laskey came very close to busting one in the second quarter. It'll come.

Btw, it's 764 yards to 1000 and counting.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Seems like to me that would be the worst strategy for VT to play on defense. JT has proven he can turn a little into a lot and is faster than pretty much anyone in space. I would think they would try to limit our plays to the outside and force Laskey or Days to beat them. I think JT is our best play maker on offense so if teams continue to focus on taking the b-back out of the offense I am cool with that.
Nope if you don't stop the dive, we will just wear down the defenses for long drives and our defense will be fully rested. If they make us beat them on the outside, then it's boom or bust plus the potential for turnovers.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand the staff's logic behind the redshirt. We could have another talented back on the field who would likely contribute to the offense immediately. Even if he isn't as good as advertised yet, I would want him to have gametime experience for next season.

We really need him and MLD to live up to the hype for next year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We didn't want go redshirt him at first but the hamstring injury put him so far behind..CPJ commented last week that he's missing assignments and execution hasnt been good...which is to be expected as he hasn't been able to ppractice much.

He isn't better than Days or Laskey right now.