GT (+6) vs. Miami

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I look at who they played and who we've played, and seriously wonder why we're a 6 pt underdog in this game. Sorry, but Miami has done nothing to show they can play with us.

That's a little TIC, but really guys, Miami hasn't played anyone yet.
Appalachian State is pretty touch but you're right they aren't at the level of Georgia Tech.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I think, if the offense can get it going, we can upset them. The defense, by all means, won't shut them down. The offense has to control the clock and the ball. If they cannot, our defense is in no way good enough to hold Miami to within 6 points. It would be more like 20 points. However; if the punt less than 3 times and score 20 or so points, I think we can give them a run for the money. We'll see. Right now, I have Miami beating us... really bad. 33-17. But, I seriously hope I am wrong. Depends if Roof comes out with his DB giving free breaks on their WRs, like he did to start the Clemson game. Which, by the way, is why they scored so easily in the first quarter. He did not run a bump and run to throw the timing off. He HAS to do that against Miami.
Don't you think that Tech should score more than 17 points. The defense has been playing very good so far, it's time the offense to do their share.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I look at who they played and who we've played, and seriously wonder why we're a 6 pt underdog in this game. Sorry, but Miami has done nothing to show they can play with us.

That's a little TIC, but really guys, Miami hasn't played anyone yet.

They beat the hell out of us last year with no head coach and they have a much better coach now

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We will need to control the time of possession and get an interception or two to have a good chance to win. Time to tighten up corner coverages or we will get burned on the short 5 to 10 yard passes all night. This year, like last year, we are not getting key interceptions like we did in 2014 which was why we won the VT, Clemson, and UGA games. Of course Watson's injury sure did change the Clemson game. We need some breaks to go our way again this year.

yep, giving up 300+ yds in air on 75% completion is not going to win probably

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Once again, I feel this game is more about us than our opponent. I want to see us start executing our offense, FIRST, before discussing whether we can or can't beat them, or what their talent level is. We would have had a real tough time with Climpsum anyway, but we just didn't execute. I would be shocked tonight at the radio show if CPJ comments that we executed well but Climpsum was just that much better. If we play like we did Thursday, it will be a tough ride this Saturday, no matter who the opponent is.

Clemmons IS the better team. Don't get me wrong. BUT, we didn't show who we are either.

B,
I've got to disagree--we did show who we are - vs a really good team like clem--when you get DOMINATED for TWO yrs like that ,there is no question we can't compete on that level at this point

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
yep, giving up 300+ yds in air on 75% completion is not going to win probably

I am not at all convinced our pass defense is any better this year. They can throw short passes all day long and probably complete 80% of those. Only question is their deep bombs (especially to the TE downfield). I believe they'll have well over 300 yards passing. Easy.

Roof and GT's only chance is to roll the dice and bring pressure. Might give up some long TD's if we do that, but might get a few stops also. If we don't do that, I think Miami rolls downfield pretty much like last year. Why shouldn't they?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They beat the hell out of us last year with no head coach and they have a much better coach now

I'm not sure that "They beat the hell out of us last year" tells the whole story. On our first drive, JT led us down the field, 62 yards in 6 plays for a TD. Unfortunately, he was hurt, and Matthew Jordan had to come in and play the rest of the game for his first significant snaps versus a quality opponent. We fumbled it away twice (including for a TD) and threw two interceptions. We actually scored touchdowns on our last two possessions but the game was in hand for them by that time. Their offense scored slightly better than 2.5 ppd against us which was much better than their average for the year but only slightly better than the average we gave up. By comparison, we scored over 3ppd versus Vandy this year.

I'm also not convinced Richt is a better coach. He had a negative coaching affect many if not most years, iirc, according to cfbmatrix.

That being said, for a back of the envelope estimation, a scientific WAG, Miami played better offense against FlAtl last year than this and better D this year than last. Obviously, that assumes the uninvestigated assumption that FlAtl was basically static. It matches my intuition from their season that their offense may be taking a step back under Richt, but their D is probably better. Both units were statistically average to poor last year.

I still think we've improved on both sides of the ball this year over last. If we get our head on straight on O, we should be able to get results comparable to the Vandy game on O, but Miami's Off is better than Vandy's.

GT 33-21.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I still think (hope) we're better than we were last year. There has been so much talk about the Clemson loss but I think they proved last year that they are in the "Alabama" category now and I doubt posters would have expressed as much angst had last week's performance been against Alabama. Duh U did have an extra week to prepare and if Kaaya brings his A game I think we will probably lose, but if we can get a couple turnovers I think we win. I hope they're looking ahead to Florida State.