GT #3 in Team Efficiency (FEI overall); Are we there yet?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, here's the latest Overall FEI ranking:
upload_2014-12-2_14-4-31.png

Footballoutsiders' "official ranking" is there F/+ ranking which combines FEI with S&P+ rankings, and it has us at #12. Still, I think that this measure that focuses primarily on scoring-efficiency is pretty interesting.

A couple of things jump out at me. First, we are still #1 in Offense FEI. Two, we are now up to #48 in Defense FEI. Considering that we were about #100 a few weeks ago, that's a pretty significant improvement.

We may have gone from bottom 20 to top 20 on D in the week between UNC and Pitt.

To me this table is a statistical answer to the "Are we there yet?" question. Obviously, we haven't won anything yet. However, consider these rankings as part of an overall picture of where we're at as a program. At the end of last year, we took georgie to double overtime and played old miss to within a single score, pretty close to how Bama lost to them this season. Both Ole Miss and georgie were preseason top 20 and both have been top 10 this year. We've now beaten georgie this year, another team that's been competitive with the top of the SEC this year.

So, yeah, we haven't gone undefeated yet, or won the big bowl game against top a 10 team, but we've been better than our record indicates. We may not be there yet, but we're getting there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why does it say FSU is 11-1? Is that a typo?

It's an artifact of my cutting and pasting. It should say 11-0. What happens is this: when I copy cells from footballoutsiders and paste it into Excel, it assumes that it's a Date column and stores it in a funky internal date format. When I tell it to display as M - D, it displays correctly except for when there is no "day."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Defensive FEI of 48 means we have found a hell of a D in the last few weeks. Used to be like 110. Watching the game for the second time without heart palpitations, I was really amazed at how well our D did from the second quarter on. Even on the first UGAg drive, we took them to fourth down.

Our numbers for the last half of the season would be even better - what is special about this team is how much better it continues to get.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It's an artifact of my cutting and pasting. It should say 11-0. What happens is this: when I copy cells from footballoutsiders and paste it into Excel, it assumes that it's a Date column and stores it in a funky internal date format. When I tell it to display as M - D, it displays correctly except for when there is no "day."
Got it. Pretty awesome where we are on offense.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Does that also happen if you use the 'paste as value' option?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Checked this out yesterday and was pretty excited about it. The defense has really stepped up and we are seeing what we all knew to be true. Just be mediocre to good on D and we'll see significant improvements in overall results. That being said we have been very good on D these last few weeks, not simply mediocre to good.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Might be too much of a pain but try putting a single quote (a "tick" mark) in front of the that cell data before pasting, i.e. paste as '11-0.