Gsu game

MySouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My point was dont give yourself a W like Florida did against Southern. We already think we can beat anyone we play.

And I dont like to bet on my teams. I for one think Tech will win. Its going to be tough to root against them.

MySouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it calls to mind the boat racing Samford gave to Southern last year. That was ugly. About as ugly as the horrid loss to a bad App State and to Furman on their last trip to Paulson for a SoCon game. How do you lose that game? How? It's Furman. Furman is evil incarnate. And they walk out of Paulson with a win. Shameful it is to let that happen. But I'm still bitter over 2001.
Yeah, I dont think the players were much into last season until the Florida game. It was like their Super Bowl.

thwgjacket

If Monken didn't beat Florida then he would have been on the hot seat. He would have been 6-5 with 2 wins over Savannah State and St. Francis. He went 7-4, which will usually get rumblings of unhappy fans in Statesboro but because one win was over Florida he got the Army offer. Don't get me wrong, I think Monken is a hell of a coach but it's not like GSU was a powerhouse last year, and they lose their best player. I love the Eagles but this is not a Greg Hill, Adrian Peterson, Benny Cunningham team. It's a fairly mediocre Southern, below average compared to the great teams they've had in the past.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
If Monken didn't beat Florida then he would have been on the hot seat. He would have been 6-5 with 2 wins over Savannah State and St. Francis. He went 7-4, which will usually get rumblings of unhappy fans in Statesboro but because one win was over Florida he got the Army offer. Don't get me wrong, I think Monken is a hell of a coach but it's not like GSU was a powerhouse last year, and they lose their best player. I love the Eagles but this is not a Greg Hill, Adrian Peterson, Benny Cunningham team. It's a fairly mediocre Southern, below average compared to the great teams they've had in the past.

No, I don't think he would have been on the hot seat. They had key injuries, though the losses to Samford, Furman, Wofford and App were fairly galling. But three straight semifinal appearances - and his knowledge of service academy life and football - got him on Army's radar. I think he gets that West Point offer regardless of the Florida game. Win or lose, it didn't keep them out of the playoffs, because they weren't going anyway. That was a bad Florida team in the midst of an 8 game losing streak and they had lost 6 in a row before losing to Southern.

Southern will have some really good QBs, a pretty decent O line but I think the rest is pretty untested. Zach Walker can catch anything but I don't think he's a deep threat to stretch the field. They won't run much 3O. A little, but then they didn't run a whole lot last year. But boy will Southern miss McKinnon. Great athlete, great competitor, even better young man. It's also a pretty bad defense minus a bunch of their best players from a year ago. Southern will give up points in bunches this year and I'm not sure the offense will be able to keep pace.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I dont think the players were much into last season until the Florida game. It was like their Super Bowl.

All that hooey about "playing for Eagle pride." Yeah. Almost as dumb as those "SoLong" t-shirts last year. Those guys knew they didn't have a lot on the line last year. Still, you got to find a way to beat App and Furman in the last go-round in the league and they still won't have any postseason on the line this year, either. Wonder what happens if they get off to a bad start, which is quite possible.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

it's pretty difficult to compare most teams southern's fielded to those of the CPJ era! as for the coming season, with new leadership and a new offense it's a little early to label southern's team in an manner, IMO. they certainly don't have the marquee names of the past, but there are some ballplayers on the team. they've always had great team speed on O. i think the biggest question mark is how well the new O sticks. conventional wisdom suggests installing a new O comes with the requisite growing pains. but, who knows until they truly suit up and hit the field. to me, the major obstacle for the eagles will be depth on D. as they add schollies and begin to beef up the D, can they hold on enough through this transition year? again, a big question mark.

thwgjacket

No, I don't think he would have been on the hot seat. They had key injuries, though the losses to Samford, Furman, Wofford and App were fairly galling. But three straight semifinal appearances - and his knowledge of service academy life and football - got him on Army's radar. I think he gets that West Point offer regardless of the Florida game. Win or lose, it didn't keep them out of the playoffs, because they weren't going anyway. That was a bad Florida team in the midst of an 8 game losing streak and they had lost 6 in a row before losing to Southern.

Southern will have some really good QBs, a pretty decent O line but I think the rest is pretty untested. Zach Walker can catch anything but I don't think he's a deep threat to stretch the field. They won't run much 3O. A little, but then they didn't run a whole lot last year. But boy will Southern miss McKinnon. Great athlete, great competitor, even better young man. It's also a pretty bad defense minus a bunch of their best players from a year ago. Southern will give up points in bunches this year and I'm not sure the offense will be able to keep pace.
The reason I think he would have been on the hot seat is because one bad season is enough to get people upset down in Statesboro. I know of some alumni who were beginning to grow unhappy as the season progressed and then once the Florida game happened they immediately flipped to "I hope we can keep him." My thinking that he would have been on the hot seat has more to do with the atmosphere at Southern and less to do with Monken as a coach. I think he's awesome. Recent problems with the hiring of Van Gorder and Hatcher have lowered the fan base's expectations, I understand that. But to be fair Sewak had a better winning percentage than Monken over the same amount of time at Southern. You do make a valid point though, Sewak didn't have the same post-season success that Monken had. So maybe you're right.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
1. GSU struggled to find motivation last year, being ineligible for a bowl or the FCS playoffs due to transitioning.

2. There was hardly any option in the GSU spring game.

3. I love GSU and hope they show well against GT.

4. It will not be close.

Ramblinwreck1991

Georgia Tech Fan
This games scares me.. I know they lose a good bit and have new coach but just when play your smaller schools in state they have nothing to lose....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The reason this game scares me is I think about Florida game last year

Two points should relieve your fear:
1. UF had a horrible offense last year. According to footballoutsiders, they were the #99 offense in the country.
2. UF had a very good defense (#17 compared to our #57), but they were playing against Monken's version of the spread-option. They won't be using our offense against us this year.

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope by this game out quarterbacks have established themselves. Will be a big crowd for this non conference game