Griffin is NOT now in the portal

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In the VT game I posted excerpts from he ran the ball 40 (that's forty) times for 215 yards. Tech attempted one pass. That's one. If you don't think there were LBs keying on him after the middle of the first quarter or so, I think you need to revise your opinion of Bud Foster. Who was the VT DC at the time. And, again, if you watch the film, you'll see that Tobias got hit and hit hard on virtually every play, just like every spread option QB from 2008 to 2018. I don't think you know much about how the spread option was regularly defensed, But … maybe the full game will show you that. Here it is, condensed:

Not that I want to get too carried away by the threadjack, but the question I have about putting Oliver (or Knight) at RB is whether they can get yards between the tackles. Given the current state of our run blocking, yards will not come easily. If there’s a LB in the gap, can Tobias or Demetrius lower the shoulder, churn the legs, and get the tough yards after contact?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not that I want to get too carried away by the threadjack, but the question I have about putting Oliver (or Knight) at RB is whether they can get yards between the tackles. Given the current state of our run blocking, yards will not come easily. If there’s a LB in the gap, can Tobias or Demetrius lower the shoulder, churn the legs, and get the tough yards after contact?
Watch the last play in the highlight film. Right up the middle, slipping two tackles, keeping his feet (he's really good at that) for 21 yards.

But your point about the OL is well taken. It takes a Mason to make his own holes. Tobias needs at least a crease. And now: no more from me about this.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Does this mean we shouldn't get excited about the transfers coming in then?
That is a very fair question. I try to approach it the same way whether a kid is transferring in or out. If I was on the receiving end of the Griffin transfer I’d be very happy to find out what he could do in my program especially because I’d be looking at the fact that the three guys ahead of him were terrific backs. If he had been stuck behind any guys who weren’t excellent then I’d be less enthusiastic. Another example is Ahmarhean Brown. I’m really surprised he hasn’t done more at USC as I’d have been excited to get him if I was in their position.

The other thing I try to think about is whether or not there’s reason to think the kid coming IN is better than what I have right now. So, if I’ve got 2 RBs on my roster and none of them are anywhere close to Dontae Smith, JP Mason, or Gibbs then I probably would think that Jamious has a chance to make a difference on my roster.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Interesting you bring up running inside--not that they can't do it but both of our RB recruits weigh less than 200. As well as a guy we offered the other day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watch the last play in the highlight film. Right up the middle, slipping two tackles, keeping his feet (he's really good at that) for 21 yards.

But your point about the OL is well taken. It takes a Mason to make his own holes. Tobias needs at least a crease. And now: no more from me about this.
In 18 after the disaster in Tampa (usf 2 kick td returns in a row) and the gut renching lost to Pitt, Coach pulled a genius redo.
Tobias benefited from a revised blocking scheme as part of an option end run. We had so few tackles on the team Coach worked up a new set of plays.
Tobias showed his athletic ability. Then we lost to duke after qb was injured. After that that the plays were much more conservative. We best virginia that had a very good dl w Wells getting 4 fg. Coach played small ball and didnt get in scoring match w Bryce perkins. Then Miami did same thing. Coach is a genius .

Back to T. Oliver - i think he would do fine.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting you bring up running inside--not that they can't do it but both of our RB recruits weigh less than 200. As well as a guy we offered the other day.
I didn’t make any mention of weight, but insofar as it matters, I still would take the new guys over Oliver for tailback. There’s a difference between weighing <200lbs coming straight out of high school and weighing <200lbs after several years in a D1 college strength and conditioning program.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
In 18 after the disaster in Tampa (usf 2 kick td returns in a row) and the gut renching lost to Pitt, Coach pulled a genius redo.
Tobias benefited from a revised blocking scheme as part of an option end run. We had so few tackles on the team Coach worked up a new set of plays.
Tobias showed his athletic ability. Then we lost to duke after qb was injured. After that that the plays were much more conservative. We best virginia that had a very good dl w Wells getting 4 fg. Coach played small ball and didnt get in scoring match w Bryce perkins. Then Miami did same thing. Coach is a genius .

Back to T. Oliver - i think he would do fine.
He’s not RB1 but we never thought of using him in a direct snap or wildcat ? You gotta maximize what you have. Seems a missed opportunity

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
What ever happened to that kid named Griffin we had at RB. Anybody heard anything about him lately? I heard he entered the portal. Just wondering if there were any rumors on where he may end up going.

IIRC, he was originally committed to NC State, but I'm not sure what their backfield situation currently looks like.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, he was originally committed to NC State, but I'm not sure what their backfield situation currently looks like.
Just speculation but he probably has reached out to several coaches that were recruiting him before. I just don't want to see him play against us in the ACC. IMO he was a wasted talent but too many guys in the same position and may have had injuries. With so many good RB's never understood why we didn't go more with two back sets.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What ever happened to that kid named Griffin we had at RB. Anybody heard anything about him lately? I heard he entered the portal. Just wondering if there were any rumors on where he may end up going.
angry u mad GIF by Mayfly
in wound

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about their backfield but look for them to be really good next year. Was watching Wes this morning and he said they will have a lot of 5th year seniors back,in 22