Griffin is NOT now in the portal

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
usually yes, there are exceptions though. McGowan and Cochran were the only 2 out of like 15 transfers that have worked out so far in the last 3 years.
K Cigmalia was good. I know others may disagree, but as a guy who played LB in college I liked Ayinde (who we get for another year). I thought he improved as the year went on. Biggest problems on defense IMO were no pass rush and secondary giving up bombs routinely.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I wish JG the best. I stated earlier with the RS I thought we may have a similar situation to Marcus Marshall, where he leaves and he would have had more opportunities if he stayed. Perhaps there were burned bridges and no amount of burn next year would have saved the relationships.

There are already quite a few RB in the portal. One I would like is Ashaad Clayton from CU. We didn’t offer but I think we were in contact but took Gibbs instead. Big bruiser would compliment 2kTae

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Also Pendley who is quite young was playing well prior to getting hurt. I don't think Keion White was ever himself...bad luck with non-football broken leg after taking his commitment. Does have another year left.
Right. I think people are forgetting that a few of the guys we had last year weren’t grad transfers and still have time to make contributions

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
as we have found out...most guys in the portal are there for a reason
I think you’re right; most transfer because they’re buried on the depth chart. Like all rules, there are exceptions, and Gibbs is one of those. Then there are some who just don’t deliver what their coaches are looking for, but they flourish somewhere else. I have a suspicion that Griffin will be one of those.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
K Cigmalia was good. I know others may disagree, but as a guy who played LB in college I liked Ayinde (who we get for another year). I thought he improved as the year went on. Biggest problems on defense IMO were no pass rush and secondary giving up bombs routinely.
Seems like we would fairly consistantly do a good job on running plays and then consistantly give up 3rd and long to a pass play after two good stops. I felt like under normal conditions we had a good rush defense.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Has Griffen gotten his Tech degree? It seems so foolish and short-sighted to go chasing playing time and NFL fever-dreams over just staying and competing for a job. Anyway, best of luck to the young man.

He might have. If you go heads down liek alot of our athletes end up doing you can get out in 3 and a half years with your Business admin or History Science and Tech degree.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Does this mean we shouldn't get excited about the transfers coming in then?
Ouch and touché.

I think posters on here, myself probably included, are not being as nuanced as the situation calls for. Some of us are upset about this loss to the portal because this RB had serious play making skills and perhaps got overlooked in the shuffle due to no fault of their own. I believe we had 4 running backs who could have all put up similar numbers with this offense with just shades of difference between them if they got the same number of touches in a game.

I don’t know what happens in practice and why a coach might go with the potential of one player over another but I think those who are looking for relief from the portal understand that players get overlooked for a variety of reasons and a fresh start might make a difference.

But you are right on target about those who want it both ways -our losses to the portal are all players not critical to our success and players coming in will be the salvation of the program. Again, most of us are too emotional right now to be nuanced.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Unsure where to dig it up, so throwing a question out to the data crowd. How do our transfers in break down for grad v undergrad? Eyeball test feels like our grad transfers have performed to expectation.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Portal does not work both ways. Alabama and other top programs will strengthen their team through the portal and the lower level teams will pickup players essentially let go for lack of playing time. It may work for us on occasion, but it will not get us to the "Next Level".

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Ryan Johnson, Tyler Davis, Cimaglia I would say all “worked out”
Yeah I forgot about Cimaglia, Davis wasn't really good or bad, just a warm body at TE. Johnson, I don't know too much about specifically, just that he was part of the OL that underperformed. I guess I'm mainly vexxed by the strikeouts of Ezzard, Clayton, and the guys in the secondary that haven't shown up on the field yet.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
OK, Tech needs RBs. And the solution is a simple one: move Tobias to RB. He's big enough, he's cute, he's very, very hard to bring down, and he'a easy fast enough. Besides that he's already shown that he can run with the best of them. Imho, he's wasted at CB.

So will it happen? Nah. Lack of imagination will triumph again.

And btw, I am not surprised by Griffin moving on. With a good blocking OL in front of him, he could be a very dangerous young man. Good luck in the future, Jamious!