Gregg Marshall: the thread

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
ill pass. not personable enough imo. he is a $$$$ guy. but wtf do i know.
He wins. Our FB headcoach isn't personable. The top hC in CFB, NFL, and NBA (Pop) aren't personable. Give me a winner and I can learn to love their awful personality.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
ill pass. not personable enough imo. he is a $$$$ guy. but wtf do i know.

Marshall coached at my wife's school, Winthrop. He's arrogant, but he's 'lovable arrogant' and a hell of a good guy and coach. He's all personality. His players love him. He and his wife would represent Tech well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not likely. Still, the main ingredients of his Final 4 run are leaving. Does he see a return to that typical mid-major cycle of 2-3 years of obscurity before making noise?

If so, feel free to walk through that door. I got a nickname already lined up, Triple-G. How can you turn that down?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The ACC just put 6 teams in the Sweet 16. Does Marshall like challenges? This is a real challenge, not a challenge on paper.
What is the encore for him at W State? If it is money he can stay there and be happy.

Big question is if GT calls will he even answer the phone? Has he already answered? I simple can't believe the AD is going to start from scratch
searching for a coach Monday morning?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ACC just put 6 teams in the Sweet 16. Does Marshall like challenges? This is a real challenge, not a challenge on paper.
What is the encore for him at W State? If it is money he can stay there and be happy.

Big question is if GT calls will he even answer the phone? Has he already answered? I simple can't believe the AD is going to start from scratch
searching for a coach Monday morning?

Most of the folks that I know who have sources, seem to feel like MBob has a candidate in mind already. If so, then I think that it's unlikely to be Marshall. I'm pretty confident it will not be a budget hire, but it's not a $3 MM/year guy either

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Most of the folks that I know who have sources, seem to feel like MBob has a candidate in mind already. If so, then I think that it's unlikely to be Marshall. I'm pretty confident it will not be a budget hire, but it's not a $3 MM/year guy either
Thanks for the help. "a candidate in mind" or a candidate in hand? I would prefer "in hand" of course.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder if Marshall will ever be considered a great coach unless he moves into a power conference and plays really tough games every week. The MVC is a joke and 16 of WSU's 24 wins were against that motley crew. The SEC is not a power conference in basketball, so turning down Alabama makes sense. The Big 12 or B1G or the ACC would be an entirely different level of competition.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Marshall coached at my wife's school, Winthrop. He's arrogant, but he's 'lovable arrogant' and a hell of a good guy and coach. He's all personality. His players love him. He and his wife would represent Tech well.

well that is not what i have heard but ill take your word for it. as has been repeated..... 3 million is not in our price range so it is a moot point.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Marshall will ever be considered a great coach unless he moves into a power conference and plays really tough games every week. The MVC is a joke and 16 of WSU's 24 wins were against that motley crew. The SEC is not a power conference in basketball, so turning down Alabama makes sense. The Big 12 or B1G or the ACC would be an entirely different level of competition.
Idk about the conference being a joke not saying they are great but top three were good one of the better non p5 conferences Stephen F Austin has been tough as of late and Evansville is also solid

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of you guys worry too much about spending Georgia Tech's money. Tech has plenty of money so let them worry about it.

Go Jackets!
This times 1000. There has been so much hand wringing over the years on all of these boards about Tech spending money and how much money they have to spend in both football and basketball. Everyone is an expert on how little money the AA has at its disposal. It's ridiculous. Miraculously they nearly always seem to come up with some money in the end. The AA spends 24 hours a day, 365 days per year trying to figure out ways to separate you from your money. Fans need to worry less about how much money they have and more about the product being put on the court/field. If they want to have a successful basketball program then the school will go out and hire a proven winner that can recruit like a mad man and before you know it McCamish will be sold out on a regular basis. No one will be complaining about money.

There is already a thread on here started by someone who usually posts credible information saying we are willing to go over $3 million per year on a new coach. Let's hope he's right. I think everyone is exhausted with watching a garbage product on the court.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Idk about the conference being a joke not saying they are great but top three were good one of the better non p5 conferences Stephen F Austin has been tough as of late and Evansville is also solid

SFA isn't in the Missouri Valley. They are in the Southland. The MVC is clearly not as competitive as the American or the A-10 but better than the lower half of the 32 Division I conferences.