• Nathan B. Forrest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ulysses S. Grant

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
your not going to ask about Sherman?
I recognize that his march(es) revolutionized what was acceptable in warfare, but I can't in good conscience give him any credit due to what he did to my beloved Palmetto State. And his intentional targeting of civilians and destruction of private property after victory was ensured would get him a trial at the Hague were it to occur today.

That said, I would probably rank him as the Union's best general in the CW ahead of Grant (unless you count Winfield Scott's marginal participation).

Last edited:

GT_EE78

Banned
I recognize that his march(es) revolutionized what was acceptable in warfare, but I can't in good conscience give him any credit due to what he did to my beloved Palmetto State. And his intentional targeting of civilians and destruction of private property after victory was ensured would get him a trial at the Hague were it to occur today.

That said, I would probably rank him as the Union's best general in the CW ahead of Grant (unless you count Winfield Scott's marginal participation).
Yeah well , I was born in Savannah (and live in the Palmetto) and couldn't have said that so politely.

GT_EE78

Banned
Can we throw "Chesty" Puller from the USMC into the mix also? Or are we only limited to army options?
I could have been hasty doing that poll.Your comment isn't the first of someone omitted. I don't think its editable. It appeared that the limit on any poll is a choice of 10

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Too much emphasis on Civil War and WWII, what about Andrew F'ing Jackson or Winfield Scott or Matthew Ridgeway? Heck, maybe throw in some Schwarzkopf and Mattis to bring it up to date. And any list that doesn't have George Marshall on it is bunk. ;)
Jackson without a doubt. Rommel studied him and stated what a great general he was. Mimicking many of his tactics

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I could have been hasty doing that poll.Your comment isn't the first of someone omitted. I don't think its editable. It appeared that the limit on any poll is a choice of 10
No worries, GT_EE78, my comment was mainly in jest, but it goes to show what a rich military history the US has for such a young country. A lot to be proud of.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
While we’re at it, I’d like to throw in another guy here. ‘Ol General Norman “Storming” Schwarzkopf.

I understand the thinking at the time but I’m still a little amazed we scrapped his blueprint for the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

Imo the only reason to ever use the tactics in GWII is if we had limited resources, as in a second big offensive elsewhere where those resources were otherwise needed.

Always bring overwhelming force if at all possible.

LibertyTurns

Banned
While we’re at it, I’d like to throw in another guy here. ‘Ol General Norman “Storming” Schwarzkopf.
A great General no doubt, but greatest in US history don’t think so. He certainly had a phenomenal career, but he’s up against the founder of our country, guys who helped win a World War spanning years not days in a small regional conflict, Civil War generals that helped stabilize our democracy, etc.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A great General no doubt, but greatest in US history don’t think so. He certainly had a phenomenal career, but he’s up against the founder of our country, guys who helped win a World War spanning years not days in a small regional conflict, Civil War generals that helped stabilize our democracy, etc.

Yeah but those guys didn’t have to deal with **** Cheney trying to play supreme allied commander.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Your comment about Cheney is interesting. I’m much more familiar with reports of Schwarzkopf’s tirades & bravado which are legendary than Cheney meddling.

I’m going off things I read years and years and years ago now. But what I read indicated Cheney pushed the pentagon hard to strike sooner with a smaller force if necessary rather than take the time for a massive buildup of armor etc.

I’m not a big fan of GD civilians playing general. And I’m a GD civilian. Order the attack, fine, then get out of the way and let our professional warriors do their business.

But I’m not really contending his contending with Cheney was anything unusual. Most of our generals in this discussion dealt with similar or worse. All the way back to Washington.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m going off things I read years and years and years ago now. But what I read indicated Cheney pushed the pentagon hard to strike sooner with a smaller force if necessary rather than take the time for a massive buildup of armor etc.

I’m not a big fan of GD civilians playing general. And I’m a GD civilian. Order the attack, fine, then get out of the way and let our professional warriors do their business.

But I’m not really contending his contending with Cheney was anything unusual. Most of our generals in this discussion dealt with similar or worse. All the way back to Washington.
Cheney pushed Powell a lot. Drove Powell’s staff relentlessly leading up to the invasion on details. I wasn’t aware it was the same with Schwarzkopf. Coming off the heels of Reagan’s successes, it was important Bush didn’t crap the bed in Iraq. It’s a complex region and it’s no different today.

Secondly, this was an era where the Service Chiefs were jockeying for relevancy. Army under heavy pressure to reduce and massively change force structure. Navy as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Cheney pushed Powell a lot. Drove Powell’s staff relentlessly leading up to the invasion on details. I wasn’t aware it was the same with Schwarzkopf. Coming off the heels of Reagan’s successes, it was important Bush didn’t crap the bed in Iraq. It’s a complex region and it’s no different today.

Secondly, this was an era where the Service Chiefs were jockeying for relevancy. Army under heavy pressure to reduce and massively change force structure. Navy as well.

It probably was Powell dealing primarily with Cheney. I doubt Norm had to deal with him too much directly.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can not get past what Gen. Washington did with the total lack of resources he had against that empire.

Jeez, getting men to keep going in the snow without shoes.
And without getting paid & without getting fed.

These other Generals, great men all, certainly have their place in history. None other formed an organization that didn't exist, assembled & massed forces that were no where to be found, then turned around & established the greatest country there ever was.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And without getting paid & without getting fed.

These other Generals, great men all, certainly have their place in history. None other formed an organization that didn't exist, assembled & massed forces that were no where to be found, then turned around & established the greatest country there ever was.

Effin A.