Greatest Gameday Memories at Grant Field / Bobby Dodd Stadium

At the start of each year, the excitement builds and candidly it is like I am kid all over again with anticipation. This morning on the drive into work, here in Cincinnati, I started reflecting on the most memorable games that I have attended. So I decided on this exciting day of the first game of the season to share my Top 5:

5- 1995 GT 31 Maryland 3: Maryland was ranked and the game was a Thursday night TV event. The seat cushions came out onto the field and GT demonstrated the start of many special years to come under GOL.

4- 1979 GT 33 William and Mary 7: My first game, that I remember, with my Dad. It was stormy that day and we were able to move closer to the field because it was nearly empty. On the drive back to Birmingham after the game, I remember telling my Dad that we were awesome today - How do we ever lose a game?. I didnt understand it was W&M.

3- 2008 GT 41 Miami 23: The white out game and it was cold, but it was special! Even convinced my Dad to wear a long sleeve White Out shirt. Michael Johnson steals the ball out of the air and returns it for a TD!

2- 1999 GT 51 aci 48 (OT): The arrogance of Donnan to have to score a TD and Jasper fumbles - don't care what people say it was a fumble! The blocked kick and Godsey recovers and advances. The next kick good. THWG

1- 2000 GT 21 UCF 17: Watched this game with my Granddaddy and it was our last game together at Grant Field. He loved the Jackets and we cheered the last minute Godsey to Lee TD for the win!

The funny thing is there are probably a lot of games that had higher ranked opponents that might have been bigger wins, but these are the games that I remember - these are the games that make GT a special place for me and my family.

I would love to hear from others about their great memories as we get ready for another season of GT football!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
GT vs Navy and Brent Cunningham was having a record day. 33 degrees with the wind howling and heavy sleeting. We are in the upper East Stands and when we returned after a halftime thawout there were only a half dozen other idiots left in the upper East Stands. A great day spent with my brother who was recovering from severe wounds from Vietnam. Cunningham put on quite a show in spite of the terrible weather. When we get together and talk football we always bring up that Grant Field experience and Cunningham chewing up Navy in that game.....and how cold and wet and miserable we were but we stayed until the end.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Too many to list.... But a few in no particular order:

1 - Buzz parachuting into the stadium, landing around midfield, then takes off running the entire way and hits the goal post head on. (Maybe vs Maryland or Wake in early 2000's???)

2 - Miami 2014 Pre-Game, had on all my GT gear including GT/Friday 13th mask (yeah I go all out). Was able to get 2000 or so fans to do the YELLOW/JACKETS! chant on yellow jacket alley as the players came walking in.

3 - Samford game in 2006, first game with my wife.

4 - FSU game 1992, first GT game in person and with my Dad.

5 - 2009 Va Tech game, "All the way Turnt Up" stormed the field with the wife after knocking off #4 Va Tech.

6 - 2014 ACCCG in Charlotte. First ACCCG in person.

7 - 2007 Samford game, bumped into Joe Siffri while tailgating.

8 - 1998 UVA game, knocked off the Top 10 ranked cavaliers. "OH CHARLIE!"

Last edited:

My wife and I were at this game as well and she was pregnant. Great game, but probably not her favorite memory;)!

TC had the long run!

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Great memories:

- Singing "Bama Sux" to Van Halen's "Panama" at my first home game in 1984...

- Gary Lee's return in the fog bowl...

- Carlos Reviez slipping on a field goal attempt to preserve the win over UT in 1986

- 2011 Clemson win with my folks

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

My wife and I were at this game as well and she was pregnant. Great game, but probably not her favorite memory;)!

TC had the long run!
I'm right there with ya on that one. We got 3 kiddos. She's been to a few games with the big "bout to pop" belly.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
5. vs. N.C. State 1995 (?) Was raining and cold, went with my dad. I believe C.J. Williams had something like 3 second half TDs in a comeback win. Father/son memory there.

4. '09 vs. Clemson. Drunk CU fans yelling at Dabo the whole 1st half, then yelling at me the whole second, then crying at the end.

3. '06 or '07 vs. Maryland. Another one with the old man. Goal line stand, MJ93! Loudest I had heard BDS and it was in the middle of the day.

2. vs. Miami last year. Took the wife for the first time without the kids. Incredible atmosphere, made me a believer in JeT.

1. '11 vs. Clemson. Scored really good 40 yard line seats from a friend and took dad. Had no expectation of a win. Amazing.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Showing my age but going to Grant field as a kid I couldn't wait to get a program like the one below. Loved the nose! The 1966 Tennessee game was about the best since Dewey Warren (from my hometown Savannah) was the QB for a top 10 ranked Tennessee team many in Savannah were pulling for them. TECH won 6-3. Guess we could have used CPJ's offense back then.

tn_1964_georgia-tech_vs_miami.jpg

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
2014 Miami game. First game in a long time for me and first game with just me and my daughter. Ate at the Varsity, followed the band around campus, great view of the Atlanta skyline, and incredible win. Before the game, I shared my thoughts about the differences in the GT fanbase vs others and she didn't approve of my of characterization of the 'canes. On the drive home she got sick (the V?!) but said that she could see why I called them "thugs" ! I'll never forget that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like almost all of these, but my recent favorite was Kansas in 2011. They had spoiled our season the year before and on our first play Orwin went 95 yards for a TD. The rest of the game was like watching a video game. We've never played a better game on offense; over 600 yards of total offense. I never had a better time at a Tech game.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I've only been going to games since I started attending a few years ago, but the best one for me so far has been the game 2 years ago against UNC in the rain. That game was amazing and felt like a really intimate experience once all the sissies went home. ;)Got in this picture with Sneezy as well.

Y2MVvkE.jpg

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
I've only been going to games since I started attending a few years ago, but the best one for me so far has been the game 2 years ago against UNC in the rain. That game was amazing and felt like a really intimate experience once all the sissies went home. ;)Got in this picture with Sneezy as well.

Y2MVvkE.jpg

There was a special feeling about the place in the second half for sure. Everyone was completely drenched and nobody cared. It was a blast.

ptjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Every year has something special about it. I've been going to games since I was a little boy! To me it's just that special feeling about what is to come and what "may" happen if everything lines up and goes our way! Last year I was not expecting all that much and hoping we might win 8 games and look what happened. This year I'm scared to death because we might have one of those seasons that the wheels fall off the bus or we could be playing for a National Championship when it's all over. I'm afraid to even think, that mush less write what I just did but it "could be!" That's what makes ever year so special, the hope that this year will be your teams year! Win, Loose or Tie, I bleed White and Gold and have always, and, always will! IT'S TIME TO LET THE YELLOW JACKETS LOOSE!!!!!!!!