Great Win Sets Up Pivotal Game Tuesday

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agree with the first part re: Louisville.

Disagree with too many minutes for MGH, this next game being the exception. I'll try to be fair about this knowing I don't have numbers, so I'll start by suggesting that earlier this year we wasted conservatively 4-5 possessions/game with our two traditional PGs in the game (bad shots, turnovers, ineffective sets and no ability to create, blown defensive assignments). 4-5 possessions/game and losing a myriad of games by 1-2 possessions is a big deal. Highly questionable minutes happened all the way through the game @ Clemson.

Since then, during our 4 game win streak, MGH has played no less than 38 min. And in those games he won a game on a contested drive to the basket and knocked down a couple of free throws to seal another game. In other words, he's not tired right now. So why change?

Louisville is the exception with constant ball pressure. I'd scale down MGH's minutes to 35 this game but no fewer, otherwise sub him strategically around timeouts. Back court should be a 3-way combo of Smith, MGH, and Tadric. We're not in a position to lose possessions every game with our backups. We tried that and it resulted in multiple one possession L's.

We could revert back to playing more guys and really save MGH's legs for no postseason, which is where we were headed until the recent win streak. I don't think we're playing significantly better ball the last 4 games; I've seen it more as we are playing our best players more minutes and it hasn't deteriorated their ability to produce.

I agree. No such thing as playing MGH too many minutes. When he sits, we lose. He's the only guy on the team that can create something when we get in a scoring drought. I wish we had him one more year.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Dont know if gettingbthe ball to Mitchell is our strength, I would hope not. I read somewhere someone compare how Mitchells been playing to Charles Barkley in space jam after they took his powers. Its funny bc its true.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck is now firmly on the Eddy Curry Line for the season. For those unfamiliar with the unofficial statistic, this means Chuck now averages as many turnovers as assists, steals, and blocks combined.

It's rare company per a brief Google search:
  • 4 players achieved this during the '06-'07 NBA season, led by Curry of course
  • 1 player reached the threshold during the '11-'12 NBA season

He is averaging 8.1 points and 8.3 rebounds per game in ACC play.

Please note there are no personal feelings or takeaways in this post :cool:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Chuck is now firmly on the Eddy Curry Line for the season. For those unfamiliar with the unofficial statistic, this means Chuck now averages as many turnovers as assists, steals, and blocks combined.

WHY YOU ALWAYS PICKING ON HIM!!!????

Haha

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Imagine if we can get Chuck playing like he did before ACC play, MGH playing like he is now, Smith shooting like he did in Clemson, Jacobs playing like he did early on...We have all the right pieces, we just need them to all come together at the right time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Was it your sister or an ex?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think people are misinterpreting what i said in my post.
I wasn't saying play MGH alot less - i'm just saying he is playing too many and will eventually wear down a little.
i'd actually agree with Cuse about min for tonight. 35-36 for MGH is what i would expect. A smart coach will take him out like a min before a TV timeout, then get the TV timeout and then put him back in after the TV timeout ends. That way you only have him off the court for a minute or so, but he gets 3-4 min of rest. You can't expect him to play for 40 min against pressure D. You need a break. But you can be strategic about it and not lose many minutes on the court.

My comment was more about him playing almost 40 every game. This is what bites K in years he doesn't have enough depth. His team looks awesome for 25 games and then his 6 man rotation gets tired late in the season and they start losing games due to heavy legs.