Great Article from Ken (implicit hammering of Ole Miss/NCAA)

slugboy

Staff member
Seems more damning of the NCAA. First, they have a rule that makes it almost impossible for an immediate eligibility waiver by making the athlete prove egregious behavior. When the athletes can prove egregious behavior, they don't want a member school embarrassed, so they change the rule to let Ole Miss save face.
I'm probably as lenient on the NCAA as anyone here, but that really shows that they're out to protect the schools and not the athletes.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I think they are out to protect themselves and themselves alone. Where that outcome happens to coincide with the good of their member schools, then great. Where it happens to be good for the athlete they'll call the PR team to talk about it. But, like all organisms (and hence organizations) they are primarily interested in self-preservation. Everything else is spin or happy coincidence.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
While this article definitely makes the NCAA look really bad, it just boggles my mind that UMiss (sorry, they lose the right to make me use that stupid folksy name) had the audacity to contest any of these transfers after knowingly and publicly lying to them about who was being investigated. They should have just taken the L and let the kids go, then at least they wouldn’t have an even worse PR hit and the same end result.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yessss. I'm normally an Ole Miss fan third, right behind Tech and MSU. (My dad was from Mississippi and played for the Good Dogs.) But this whole business with Nutt and Freeze has made me much less of a fan then I used to be. I mean, you expect this kind of stuff at Bammer or LSZoo, but at Ole Miss? The place used to have more class then that.

I'm glad the rules got changed. It'll mean more transfers by players in the short run, but I don't expect that to last. Once players see how transfers are usually left on the bench at their new program the momentum will fade. Besides, it gives players who made a mistake a way to get out of it. We do that for everything else; why stop for football?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In not so apropos, what does a GPA have to do with anything? One is either passing or failing that institutions standards, and the GPA at one might in fact translate to a much lower GPA -- or maybe higher -- at another. That's just a crutch.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In not so apropos, what does a GPA have to do with anything? One is either passing or failing that institutions standards, and the GPA at one might in fact translate to a much lower GPA -- or maybe higher -- at another. That's just a crutch.
Once in my younger days early in my one try in the coal mine minors -- that's how low it was -- I questioned a called strike as "it looked pretty close to me." And was taught a valuable lesson by the ump, a fellow who looked like he had gone several rounds with Frazier. "There ain't no close. It's a ball or it's a strike. Sit down." So when common sense took hold and I quickly entered college that fall I knew enough that close to passing got me nowhere and close to failing was a 3-bell fire alarm.