Grateful that Brent Key understands GT

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
As good as a place as any to drop this... granted not DUI

"Within 24 hours of one Georgia football player being admonished by a judge in an Athens-Clarke County courtroom for reckless driving habits, two other Bulldogs were arrested on similar charges.

Rising senior and starting linebacker Smael Mondon was taken to jail Wednesday night on charges of racing and reckless driving. A day earlier, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Bo Hughley also was arrested by UGA police for reckless driving in addition to charges for failure to maintain lane/improper driving."

"Another Georgia player, freshman Sacovie White, has charges pending from an incident in May in which police say he was driving recklessly the wrong way on a street in downtown Athens.

These latest charges bring to 19 the number of incidents involving Georgia football players who have been incarcerated for driving-related offenses since a high-speed, alcohol-related accident took the lives of two members of the football program Jan. 15, 2023. "

I don't think they are "learning" from the others. A 1 - 4 game suspension by the coaching staff, might, just might, awaken the ability to learn.
I just read your post. It will be interesting if Kirby hands down game suspensions or is it the same old extra running before practice?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
And hurt their chances at a natty? Fat chance of that. Teams like the dwags aren't even pretending to have morals anymore, just win championships no matter the cost.
At least Richt occasionally would suspend players for shenanigans. Spurrier even made a joke about it. Kirby was hired to win at all costs; they were tired of coming in 2nd or third.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

1) I’m not upset that Gundy decided not to apply any discipline. That’s his prerogative and I am not an OK St fan so this doesn’t affect me. This event highlighted for me that I am grateful that Brent is a guy I’m proud to say represents GT. That was more the focus for me.

2) I respect that your opinion is different than mine and that you don’t believe the program should get involved. That’s fair. But let’s not pretend the athletes are normal students. We all know better than that by now. They are on scholarship and represent the school on the field. They get all kinds of special treatment and things students don’t. They aren’t the same.

I have to admit that my lack of respect for Gundy as a person likely leads me to give him much less than the benefit of the doubt versus a coach I may have more respect for like Lane Kiffin… ok you can stop choking on your beverage now I absolutely meant that as a joke. :ROFLMAO: (Though I do think Kiffin is smarter in general than Gundy… now I feel icky giving Kiffin a compliment).
I'm not sure I disagree with your original post, I was just unraveling the bigger picture a little. Student-athletes are truly ambassadors for the school, so what they do publicly reflects on the school. I'm just not convinced (yet) that the punishment meted out by our judicial system needs more piled on top. Repeat offenders is a very different discussion.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I disagree with your original post, I was just unraveling the bigger picture a little. Student-athletes are truly ambassadors for the school, so what they do publicly reflects on the school. I'm just not convinced (yet) that the punishment meted out by our judicial system needs more piled on top. Repeat offenders is a very different discussion.
It's certainly an interesting discussion and you've made some fair points to think about. I appreciate that.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
As good as a place as any to drop this... granted not DUI

"Within 24 hours of one Georgia football player being admonished by a judge in an Athens-Clarke County courtroom for reckless driving habits, two other Bulldogs were arrested on similar charges.

Rising senior and starting linebacker Smael Mondon was taken to jail Wednesday night on charges of racing and reckless driving. A day earlier, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Bo Hughley also was arrested by UGA police for reckless driving in addition to charges for failure to maintain lane/improper driving."

"Another Georgia player, freshman Sacovie White, has charges pending from an incident in May in which police say he was driving recklessly the wrong way on a street in downtown Athens.

These latest charges bring to 19 the number of incidents involving Georgia football players who have been incarcerated for driving-related offenses since a high-speed, alcohol-related accident took the lives of two members of the football program Jan. 15, 2023. "

I don't think they are "learning" from the others. A 1 - 4 game suspension by the coaching staff, might, just might, awaken the ability to learn.

And nothing comes of any of it. We lost an ACC title over $300 in clothing.

Perhaps the wrongful death lawsuits related to the 2023 deaths that keep getting postponed can use the continued trends to show the systemic lawlessness in the cesspool.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
My practice is criminal defense law. While there have been a few under 21 clients that have gotten DUIs reduced to Reckless Driving, it rarely occurs when the charge involves alcohol. The legal limit for alcohol in Ga for a driver under the age of 21 is .02 (which is probably no more than 2 beers in an hour,) Reductions to Reckless for this age group occur more frequently for Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana. According to the police report as reported by Atlanta TV , Etienne was observed passing a car across double yellow lines on a blind curve and at some point was travelling at 80 mph. He admitted to drinking and had slurred speech, glassy eyes and swayed while standing according to the officer's report. A news report I read indicated the Judge was told there was minimal evidence of intoxication. Of course this might have been true , but Ga law at a .02 level makes an under 21 DUI Alcohol charge almost a zero tolerance situation. I don't want to speculate, but given Ga DUI law for Under 21 Drivers and these terrible driving manifestations one can only wonder? That being said, if Etienne truly learns from this going forward I can understand the prosecutor's decision to offer him a second chance.
Any thoughts on putting the foot down with the new arrests today??

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
It's been interesting reading the Georgia fan forums concerning these new arrests. Some think one or partial game suspensions should be assessed while about half of their posters blame the police for targeting the football team. So, I tried to google to see if any of the UGA media commentators had posted videos to express their thoughts. So who popped up but the same FSU guy on the Locked on Seminoles podcast. The guy called out Coach Smart and the UGA Administration and said the offending players should be kicked off the team. He has no trouble inflecting that obnoxious tone way more than he had with his criticism of Tech. My guess is it will probably be a one game suspension for two of the players and a two game suspension for one of the players. They have a real problem and it effects the safety of their community. Coach Smart will have to address it at SEC Media Days next week. I hope our seniors will provide leadership to our younger players on how to conduct themselves off the field. We have a good reputation and need to keep it that way. I am not a graduate , but for the many on this Board who are- you know being a Tech Man carries a high level of respect in our community.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Again. Its all out the window. They are paid pros and no one gaf anymore. Period. Start playing the paid pro thug game or get lost.

Prediction. Gt will be lost.
If this is the price of admission, then I don't want to be in. Turning your head the other way while athletes, under our watch, repeatedly do stupid, illegal, and/or dangerous stuff is a recipe for disaster. That disaster perhaps won't happen while they are on our watch, but if we construct that "reality" for them, it will harm or even destroy them or others sooner or later, and... we would be partially culpable, IMPO. Count me out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If this is the price of admission, then I don't want to be in. Turning your head the other way while athletes, under our watch, repeatedly do stupid, illegal, and/or dangerous stuff is a recipe for disaster. That disaster perhaps won't happen while they are on our watch, but if we construct that "reality" for them, it will harm or even destroy them or others sooner or later, and... we would be partially culpable, IMPO. Count me out.
It's ashamed there's not some governing organization for all of college football that could enforce reasonable rules and make sure there's a level playing field for all universities.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's ashamed there's not some governing organization for all of college football that could enforce reasonable rules and make sure there's a level playing field for all universities.
It is a shame, but it should not be necessary in a world with a consistent moral core. It should be clear that these behaviors will not be tolerated. However….

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Again. Its all out the window. They are paid pros and no one gaf anymore. Period. Start playing the paid pro thug game or get lost.

Prediction. Gt will be lost.
Sorry, I respectively disagree. First, I detest the use of the word "thug" to describe college football players no matter what school they attend. We have a saying in my house. "We never cry when the Bulldogs lose. " But, I don't hate their players. Second, why should Ga Tech give up on trying to accomplish the "Total Person Concept." Our school can change the lives of the young men on our team. I sure hope Ga. Tech never sells itself as a Football Factory. Otherwise, we become just like the team most of us despise.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This ain’t a “pro” thing. Pro league players face more consequences than UGA players today. This is a small town amateur hour corruption thing.
Yes, there is absolutely a rotten and corrupt connection between the uga athletics program and the Athens/Clark Co. justice system

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This ain’t a “pro” thing. Pro league players face more consequences than UGA players today. This is a small town amateur hour corruption thing.
I remember a quote by a coach who had coached in both college and pro. I am reasonably sure it was Bobby Ross but maybe it was Spurrier. He said if a pro player gets drunk, high and/or does something stupid, people look at the player and hold him accountable, not the coach. But if a 20 year college kid does the exact same thing, people point the finger at the coach instead. Now that the transfer portal and NIL exist, I would have to believe that coaching pro football over college would be much more desirable. I don't think the pay is as good but by every other metric it appears to be a far superior career choice. I, for one, would prefer to draft players rather than try to recruit them. Especially when you have to recruit them every single year it seems.