Grateful that Brent Key understands GT

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Something for which I am very grateful is that Brent Key understands his Alma Mater and what’s important to Georgia Tech. It’s not winning at all costs and it’s important that the kids leave GT better than they got here. Winning is absolutely important, too.

I am reminded of how grateful I am for this because Mike Gundy apparently understands what’s important at his Alma mater, too. And that’s winning at all costs. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, All America candidate RB Ollie Gordon at Oklahoma State will apparently face ZERO consequences from the football program for getting a DUI https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40526812/oklahoma-state-ollie-gordon-ii-miss-arrest

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Something for which I am very grateful is that Brent Key understands his Alma Mater and what’s important to Georgia Tech. It’s not winning at all costs and it’s important that the kids leave GT better than they got here. Winning is absolutely important, too.

I am reminded of how grateful I am for this because Mike Gundy apparently understands what’s important at his Alma mater, too. And that’s winning at all costs. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, All America candidate RB Ollie Gordon at Oklahoma State will apparently face ZERO consequences from the football program for getting a DUI https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40526812/oklahoma-state-ollie-gordon-ii-miss-arrest
I agree… I’m glad he sees the importance of winning and I am also glad he wants to do it the right way. I hope he proves to everyone that you CAN still win the right way. It won’t be easy.

Not dismissing Gundy’s decision, but it is even beyond winning at all costs for a lot of programs. It’s going to be tougher to bench kids for off field infractions now that you have third parties openly investing in them. Can’t tell your NIL people that you’re benching their investments….

Gundy may be a perpetrator, or maybe just a symptom, but it’s pretty obvious that success at the highest level of college athletics is going to push a lot of coaches and programs toward this type of “leadership.”
“I’m going to punish him by giving him the ball 50 times and making him do press conferences…” gees coach, that’s courageous!

I won’t presume to know if Gundy embraces it or holds his nose and facilitates it, but I also don’t see much difference.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I understand where you're going, but I wonder...if a normal student gets a dui are there consequences from the school if the student is of age? If President Cabrera got a dui, would there be consequences from the school? Probably not. If I, as a licensed professional engineer, get a dui, I have to report it to every state/jurisdiction I'm licensed in, but there are no direct consequences associated with that dui unless it impacted my ability to safely perform engineering functions.

The consequences for getting a dui is that you are arrested, you have to go to Court, you have to deal with the legal ramifications of the dui. I'm not sure the school needs to get in the middle of that unless it directly impacts the program. Just my opinion.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand where you're going, but I wonder...if a normal student gets a dui are there consequences from the school if the student is of age? If President Cabrera got a dui, would there be consequences from the school? Probably not. If I, as a licensed professional engineer, get a dui, I have to report it to every state/jurisdiction I'm licensed in, but there are no direct consequences associated with that dui unless it impacted my ability to safely perform engineering functions.

The consequences for getting a dui is that you are arrested, you have to go to Court, you have to deal with the legal ramifications of the dui. I'm not sure the school needs to get in the middle of that unless it directly impacts the program. Just my opinion.
If a normal student or employee gets a DUI you'd be under violation of the Georgia Tech Code of Conduct and subject to potential consequences. Don't know how serious those consequences can get for a student, but it is in fact in their power to suspend or expulse a student or fire an employee. As an example, University of Mary Washington unanimously voted to fire its president in 2007 after two DUIs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If a normal student or employee gets a DUI you'd be under violation of the Georgia Tech Code of Conduct and subject to potential consequences. Don't know how serious those consequences can get for a student, but it is in fact in their power to suspend or expulse a student or fire an employee. As an example, University of Mary Washington unanimously voted to fire its president in 2007 after two DUIs.
Yes, there is a code of conduct, but, unless the student was underaged, nothing would be done. The school probably would never even find out. Firing the president (or anyone) after 2 DUI's is a wholly different situation.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Isnt it obvious there are no more SA and no more standards. Its pay players, employees and win at all costs. I hope brent does get that. Our team in 1998 got more drunk, bar fights., strippers at practice yelling over the microphone than any other program. We were just masked by the big city. So damn i hope he does get it. And allows that crap to happen like it used to. Gt is no pure bastion. Pay the damn players and win. Because now thats the new world we are in. Period. No more denial.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Call me old school, but in my my mind there has to be at least a one game suspension for a DUI. I admired how Coach Richt handled these situations. He would say we love them, but part of our love involves accepting responsibility that there are consequences for making a bad decision like this. Coach Richt was like a parent and is one of the many reasons he is still so respected. Also, Coaches have to think about sending this tough love message to the entire team. It looks like this message was not sent to UGA's players in a manner that got their attention after last year's tragic accident. And the result was that several of their players and a coach continued to drive at excessive speeds in their hot rod cars. It would have been another PR disaster or worse a tragic ending had one of their players had been in a serious accident while driving 90 mph on the Atlanta Highway. My guess is that Coach Smart finally put his foot down and presto things have been quiet for more than a year. From what I know about Coach Key, I would say he tends to be Old School on things like discipline. And I think the player's parents probably appreciate this about him.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

This. And that’s honestly the one thing TFG did right. As bad as we were on the field Collins never had anyone get in trouble for off the field issues.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

A couple of thoughts:

1) I’m not upset that Gundy decided not to apply any discipline. That’s his prerogative and I am not an OK St fan so this doesn’t affect me. This event highlighted for me that I am grateful that Brent is a guy I’m proud to say represents GT. That was more the focus for me.

2) I respect that your opinion is different than mine and that you don’t believe the program should get involved. That’s fair. But let’s not pretend the athletes are normal students. We all know better than that by now. They are on scholarship and represent the school on the field. They get all kinds of special treatment and things students don’t. They aren’t the same.

I have to admit that my lack of respect for Gundy as a person likely leads me to give him much less than the benefit of the doubt versus a coach I may have more respect for like Lane Kiffin… ok you can stop choking on your beverage now I absolutely meant that as a joke. :ROFLMAO: (Though I do think Kiffin is smarter in general than Gundy… now I feel icky giving Kiffin a compliment).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts:

1) I’m not upset that Gundy decided not to apply any discipline. That’s his prerogative and I am not an OK St fan so this doesn’t affect me. This event highlighted for me that I am grateful that Brent is a guy I’m proud to say represents GT. That was more the focus for me.

2) I respect that your opinion is different than mine and that you don’t believe the program should get involved. That’s fair. But let’s not pretend the athletes are normal students. We all know better than that by now. They are on scholarship and represent the school on the field. They get all kinds of special treatment and things students don’t. They aren’t the same.

I have to admit that my lack of respect for Gundy as a person likely leads me to give him much less than the benefit of the doubt versus a coach I may have more respect for like Lane Kiffin… ok you can stop choking on your beverage now I absolutely meant that as a joke. :ROFLMAO: (Though I do think Kiffin is smarter in general than Gundy… now I feel icky giving Kiffin a compliment).
No disagreement. To add a few of my thoughts…

18-22 year olds are going to do stupid sh** to embarrass and endanger themselves, and possibly others. Even with good parenting and supervision. With $6, shady transportation, and a case of garbage beer, I did some wild stuff…. Under the right circumstance, probably could’ve caused real harm /damage. Did it all with fear of being caught and ZERO expectation any special protection and/or accommodation.

Now we’re giving 18-22 year olds brand new cars, more money than most middle aged working folks make, and a get-out-of-jail-free pass.

It’s all for their betterment, obviously, so we should certainly expect they’ll stay out of trouble, right?
Kids do stooopid sh** to embarrass themselves all the time. It’s up to the adults in the room to determine when they’ve embarrassed a community, institution, athletic dept, conference, etc… but there’s not much appetite for that.

I’ll hang up and listen.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Call me old school, but in my my mind there has to be at least a one game suspension for a DUI. I admired how Coach Richt handled these situations. He would say we love them, but part of our love involves accepting responsibility that there are consequences for making a bad decision like this. Coach Richt was like a parent and is one of the many reasons he is still so respected. Also, Coaches have to think about sending this tough love message to the entire team. It looks like this message was not sent to UGA's players in a manner that got their attention after last year's tragic accident. And the result was that several of their players and a coach continued to drive at excessive speeds in their hot rod cars. It would have been another PR disaster or worse a tragic ending had one of their players had been in a serious accident while driving 90 mph on the Atlanta Highway. My guess is that Coach Smart finally put his foot down and presto things have been quiet for more than a year. From what I know about Coach Key, I would say he tends to be Old School on things like discipline. And I think the player's parents probably appreciate this about him.
"Put His Foot Down" (On The Pedel)

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
My practice is criminal defense law. While there have been a few under 21 clients that have gotten DUIs reduced to Reckless Driving, it rarely occurs when the charge involves alcohol. The legal limit for alcohol in Ga for a driver under the age of 21 is .02 (which is probably no more than 2 beers in an hour,) Reductions to Reckless for this age group occur more frequently for Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana. According to the police report as reported by Atlanta TV , Etienne was observed passing a car across double yellow lines on a blind curve and at some point was travelling at 80 mph. He admitted to drinking and had slurred speech, glassy eyes and swayed while standing according to the officer's report. A news report I read indicated the Judge was told there was minimal evidence of intoxication. Of course this might have been true , but Ga law at a .02 level makes an under 21 DUI Alcohol charge almost a zero tolerance situation. I don't want to speculate, but given Ga DUI law for Under 21 Drivers and these terrible driving manifestations one can only wonder? That being said, if Etienne truly learns from this going forward I can understand the prosecutor's decision to offer him a second chance.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My practice is criminal defense law. While there have been a few under 21 clients that have gotten DUIs reduced to Reckless Driving, it rarely occurs when the charge involves alcohol. The legal limit for alcohol in Ga for a driver under the age of 21 is .02 (which is probably no more than 2 beers in an hour,) Reductions to Reckless for this age group occur more frequently for Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana. According to the police report as reported by Atlanta TV , Etienne was observed passing a car across double yellow lines on a blind curve and at some point was travelling at 80 mph. He admitted to drinking and had slurred speech, glassy eyes and swayed while standing according to the officer's report. A news report I read indicated the Judge was told there was minimal evidence of intoxication. Of course this might have been true , but Ga law at a .02 level makes an under 21 DUI Alcohol charge almost a zero tolerance situation. I don't want to speculate, but given Ga DUI law for Under 21 Drivers and these terrible driving manifestations one can only wonder? That being said, if Etienne truly learns from this going forward I can understand the prosecutor's decision to offer him a second chance.
What about the serial violations that the uGA football team and ancillary personnel have committed, even resulting in death? Might that militate against mitigation in this instance?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What about the serial violations that the uGA football team and ancillary personnel have committed, even resulting in death? Might that militate against mitigation in this instance?
Only if one is indifferent to the revenue produced by said group. Which, of course, might be a bad career move if you live locally.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As good as a place as any to drop this... granted not DUI

"Within 24 hours of one Georgia football player being admonished by a judge in an Athens-Clarke County courtroom for reckless driving habits, two other Bulldogs were arrested on similar charges.

Rising senior and starting linebacker Smael Mondon was taken to jail Wednesday night on charges of racing and reckless driving. A day earlier, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Bo Hughley also was arrested by UGA police for reckless driving in addition to charges for failure to maintain lane/improper driving."

"Another Georgia player, freshman Sacovie White, has charges pending from an incident in May in which police say he was driving recklessly the wrong way on a street in downtown Athens.

These latest charges bring to 19 the number of incidents involving Georgia football players who have been incarcerated for driving-related offenses since a high-speed, alcohol-related accident took the lives of two members of the football program Jan. 15, 2023. "

I don't think they are "learning" from the others. A 1 - 4 game suspension by the coaching staff, might, just might, awaken the ability to learn.