Graduation Success Rates

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it, The unc thing is a disgrace to that school and the ncaa.
I understand they ruled
" Since more non athletes than athletes got the free A, it's not an ncaa violation"

If done by percentages (which is basis for many civil rights actions --- desperate outcomes ) I believe you would get a clear pattern of exploitation of minority athletes in basketball and football.
1. Students with free A divided by All students.
2. athletes on basketball and football w free A divided by all athletes on BB and football.
3. Minority athlete on bb and fb with free A divided by all minority athletes on fb and bb.
3 / 1 would tell if this was a pattern that greatly favored free A for BB and FB.
Looking at the players individually to see if it was for players who were barely getting by would add a lot. Was it random or was there a pattern?

Oh well can't damage unc basketball .

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What a bogus study.

This can not have any validity.

Look at the “Universities with lowest Black Male S/A graduation rates” category.

The biggest, SEC like cesspool on the left coast - Almighty Cal Berkeley is on the list. Only 3 points off
ugag’s rate

As I have said many times, they have offered classes & majors since the 60s that most here criticize the SEC for doing.

And I would be very surprised if info such as this has not been used by all GT coaches in recruiting for a long time, but don’t know. But to a lot of kids facilities / commitment to winning / good coaching are important factors as well.

Deleted member 2897

Don't forget that CNN did a study on athletes in various colleges and in the UNCheat section, they found that 70% of athletes read at or below the 8th grade level. So its sad, but not surprising that few people are getting degrees there, no matter how easy or fake you make the classes. Putting 2 and 2 together, they're basically taking people that have no business being in college and putting them in college, so they can try and win an athletic game. Sad.

This is the response a Tech friend of mine received from a mutt friend of his when confronted with this study ---

This is a debate I care not much about. I’m ok with that seeing as we are actually a relevant football team. If they choose to go pro, transfer, or don’t finish, this is completely up to the student athlete not the university. It doesn’t hurt my feelings if they don’t have the desire to graduate. Totally a personal decision. I believe Al Davis said it best, “just win baby win!” Congratulations on such a high graduation rate though.

Pretty sad and, I'm afraid, the opinion of the majority of their (and other football factories') fans. Hard to believe that he actually used the term "student athlete" when referring to them, because obviously they are ONLY athletes, and not students at all (or at best very poor students).

Deleted member 2897

This is the response a Tech friend of mine received from a mutt friend of his when confronted with this study ---

This is a debate I care not much about. I’m ok with that seeing as we are actually a relevant football team. If they choose to go pro, transfer, or don’t finish, this is completely up to the student athlete not the university. It doesn’t hurt my feelings if they don’t have the desire to graduate. Totally a personal decision. I believe Al Davis said it best, “just win baby win!” Congratulations on such a high graduation rate though.

Pretty sad and, I'm afraid, the opinion of the majority of their (and other football factories') fans. Hard to believe that he actually used the term "student athlete" when referring to them, because obviously they are ONLY athletes, and not students at all (or at best very poor students).

Doesn't surprise me at all. Very few people that go to uGA actually care about the University part of it. Just win baby. Try to earn a living later. I know some really good folks who went to uGA. It is so hard to bite my tongue around them, but none of this is their fault so I do. But honest to Pete, the purpose of a University is to be a University. And yet here is the culture that seeps throughout that cesspool - they don't care about actually being a University.

On a side note, uGA has only finished the season ranked 3 out of the last 5 years. So they WERE a relevant team in 2017. But over the last several years, its hit and miss. Which makes it even worse.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

First I don't have any mutt friends , but I do know one that likes them and the only thing he has said to me is "do you want to supersize your fries " .

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I am going to be honest by saying I do not necessarily disagree with your friends friend.

When I go to GF on, hopefully, Saturdays I want to see GT win EVERY damn game. Do not see the point otherwise. And if we don't win the game, I have no interest in some elitist b.s. excuse making about taking calculus.

I don't want our S/As denied the right to pursue any tough classes they want. I don't want some coach telling our guys they can not pursue any degree they want because it will interfere with football.

And I also do not want some scumbag, nerdazz prof telling our AD & CPJ he doesn't want "his" class infected with dumb jocks (or whatever that P.O.S. said). That nut should have been fired then horsewhipped on Peachtree St.

These S/As are now men, yes young, but still men. Men their age have gone out and died for our Republic.

If they want to get a degree that is up to them. Their choice.

But they are given an athletic ship to come here and win. I have no problem if our S/As graduate at the same rate as the rest of the student body if that means we win more games

If not, this is all just pissing into the wind.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I am going to be honest by saying I do not necessarily disagree with your friends friend.

When I go to GF on, hopefully, Saturdays I want to see GT win EVERY damn game. Do not see the point otherwise. And if we don't win the game, I have no interest in some elitist b.s. excuse making about taking calculus.

I don't want our S/As denied the right to pursue any tough classes they want. I don't want some coach telling our guys they can not pursue any degree they want because it will interfere with football.

And I also do not want some scumbag, nerdazz prof telling our AD & CPJ he doesn't want "his" class infected with dumb jocks (or whatever that P.O.S. said). That nut should have been fired then horsewhipped on Peachtree St.

These S/As are now men, yes young, but still men. Men their age have gone out and died for our Republic.

But they are given an athletic ship to come here and win. I have no problem if our S/As graduate at the same rate as the rest of the student body if that means we win more games

You realize football is a sport right? Like we don't really get anything meaningful for winning.

Deleted member 2897

You realize football is a sport right? Like we don't really get anything meaningful for winning.

I come down on your side as opposed to Silas. I chose Georgia Tech because of its academic reputation. After all, the purpose of most people going to college is to get a degree that you can make a lucrative satisfying career from.

Our brand at Georgia Tech is elite academics. Its the reputation of our hard working, persistent, bright, innovative graduates. If we lose that, we lose everything. I never want to sacrifice that to win some sports game somewhere. I want to win every sports game. But I don't want to win any by cutting corners.

There are no doubt kids who want to go pro in sports and only see college as a means to that end. But kids at age 18 are also several years from having a fully developed brain. Many kids don't know what they want to do with life, what they want to major in, and so on. It is incumbent upon us to help all Georgia Tech students (athletes or not) get that degree and reach their full potential. There are athletes and non-athletes who throw that away out of laziness or any number of other reasons. And that's a shame. But I don't think you ever arrive at a number like a 31% graduation rate without either totally not giving a crap about the humanity side of a person or bringing kids into school that have no business being in college...or both. I hope we never go there.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but if student-athletes are not even going to class and attempting to progress towards graduation, then win or lose, I have no use for them or the kind of atmosphere that encourages that.....i.e., UNCheat and apparently to some degree UGAG

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the kid is at school only to play a sport, then he is being paid to play a sport and as such is a professional and should not be allowed to compete in NCAA athletics.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Well, yes and no.

I believe the entire school gets quite a bit from winning sports teams.

Very, very often more and better applications for the school. Very often more donations, and not just for sports. No doubt a ton of exposure and publicity that probably could not be bought.

If nothing more than a “sport”, as I interpret you to probably mean, then do away with scholarships, fundraising, everything we have going on now.

Just let people come out a watch students play.

Think America would go for that? Fine by me.

But if not, it they want me to pay for the right to buy tickets, then I want to see my team win.

No apologies, no whining, no excuses.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I come down on your side as opposed to Silas. I chose Georgia Tech because of its academic reputation. After all, the purpose of most people going to college is to get a degree that you can make a lucrative satisfying career from.

Our brand at Georgia Tech is elite academics. Its the reputation of our hard working, persistent, bright, innovative graduates. If we lose that, we lose everything. I never want to sacrifice that to win some sports game somewhere. I want to win every sports game. But I don't want to win any by cutting corners.

There are no doubt kids who want to go pro in sports and only see college as a means to that end. But kids at age 18 are also several years from having a fully developed brain. Many kids don't know what they want to do with life, what they want to major in, and so on. It is incumbent upon us to help all Georgia Tech students (athletes or not) get that degree and reach their full potential. There are athletes and non-athletes who throw that away out of laziness or any number of other reasons. And that's a shame. But I don't think you ever arrive at a number like a 31% graduation rate without either totally not giving a crap about the humanity side of a person or bringing kids into school that have no business being in college...or both. I hope we never go there.

Do you honestly believe that students do not go to ugag, Syracuse, Wyoming, Baylor or wherever for the exact same reason? Honestly?

As long as we do not prevent our S/As from trying to get a degree by doing something ridiculous (just shot gunning here - like making them skip class to watch game film, or whatever) then I have no problem with winning being equally important.

If they want a degree it is their option.

I, again, do not see why our S/As are put under so much pressure to have a higher grad rate than the rest of the student body.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't forget that CNN did a study on athletes in various colleges and in the UNCheat section, they found that 70% of athletes read at or below the 8th grade level. So its sad, but not surprising that few people are getting degrees there, no matter how easy or fake you make the classes. Putting 2 and 2 together, they're basically taking people that have no business being in college and putting them in college, so they can try and win an athletic game. Sad.

Look no further than Malcolm Mitchell. He couldn't read while he was at UGA and had to be taught by some old ladies at Barnes & Noble.

Fast forward and he is a being hailed as a genius for writing a kids book.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do you honestly believe that students do not go to ugag, Syracuse, Wyoming, Baylor or wherever for the exact same reason? Honestly?

As long as we do not prevent our S/As from trying to get a degree by doing something ridiculous (just shot gunning here - like making them skip class to watch game film, or whatever) then I have no problem with winning being equally important.

If they want a degree it is their option.

I, again, do not see why our S/As are put under so much pressure to have a higher grad rate than the rest of the student body.
It’s the lofty false pretense that gets me. Face it, they are paid mercenaries. On the other hand, we have actual student athletes. Fair fight?