Graduation Rates by conference

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting graph on graduation rates by conference
IMG_6148.png

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
You’re telling me I pay 30% of my income to the govt for a public school to have a sub 50 graduation rate? Piss on em.

Seriously. How does the NCAA not go

“Ooh, yeah, graduating 40% of your students athletes probably isn’t good”

Like hello? uGA athletes prolly have a what, 10% ish chance to go to the NFL Long term?

So 90% don’t go. So basically almost 50% of uGA athletes are degreeless and have no future in their sport.

That’s a damn shame. It really is. I don’t know how one can ethically call themselves a university and commit themselves to such a high degree of academic malpractice and abuse to their student body.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You’re telling me I pay 30% of my income to the govt for a public school to have a sub 50 graduation rate? Piss on em.

Seriously. How does the NCAA not go

“Ooh, yeah, graduating 40% of your students athletes probably isn’t good”

Like hello? uGA athletes prolly have a what, 10% ish chance to go to the NFL Long term?

So 90% don’t go. So basically almost 50% of uGA athletes are degreeless and have no future in their sport.

That’s a damn shame. It really is. I don’t know how one can ethically call themselves a university and commit themselves to such a high degree of academic malpractice and abuse to their student body.
The primary purpose of the football team is to entertain the alumni and the street fans.

I can't actually think of a secondary purpose... :unsure:

Increasing the number of applications received by the admissions office from high school seniors, perhaps?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The primary purpose of the football team is to entertain the alumni and the street fans.

I can't actually think of a secondary purpose... :unsure:

Increasing the number of applications received by the admissions office from high school seniors, perhaps?
Some see the football team and college athletics in general as the "front porch" of the institute, generating favorable publicity for the school. There appears to be a correlation between major football success and an increase in applicants to the school, at least in some instances such as Bama. Whether or not this results in a measurable increase in the academic prowess of the student body is still open to debate.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
As I said to my buddy earlier today -
Clemson is at 99%. So they obviously have their football players in essentially fake degree programs to get them "graduated".
Nothing new there, but it shows that they at least care about the optics of "graduating players."
What's interesting to me is that uga doesn't even bother with that much.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA implemented Academic Progress Rate (APR) 20 years ago in response to criticism that S-A's were being shortchanged in terms of progressing through school toward a degree. I haven't gone into the weeds of how it is calculated, but significant penalties do exist for failure to meet minimum standards. In its history, there have been substantial penalties imposed on several schools, particularly in their basketball programs. I remain baffled as to how uga manages to meet the minimum APR standard while hitting such a low mark on graduation success.

This is even more puzzling when one considers the relative rigor of the courses of study that some athletes deal with. For their "Turf Management" degree, I would imagine that the 101-level course includes such mind-bogglers as "How to start your mower." :ROFLMAO:

Of course, in today's environment the "substantial penalties" are largely negated since a reduction in scholarships can be offset by NIL, and the more serious postseason ban does not apply to the CFP since it is outside of the NCAA's control.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
The NCAA implemented Academic Progress Rate (APR) 20 years ago in response to criticism that S-A's were being shortchanged in terms of progressing through school toward a degree. I haven't gone into the weeds of how it is calculated, but significant penalties do exist for failure to meet minimum standards. In its history, there have been substantial penalties imposed on several schools, particularly in their basketball programs. I remain baffled as to how uga manages to meet the minimum APR standard while hitting such a low mark on graduation success.

This is even more puzzling when one considers the relative rigor of the courses of study that some athletes deal with. For their "Turf Management" degree, I would imagine that the 101-level course includes such mind-bogglers as "How to start your mower." :ROFLMAO:

Of course, in today's environment the "substantial penalties" are largely negated since a reduction in scholarships can be offset by NIL, and the more serious postseason ban does not apply to the CFP since it is outside of the NCAA's control.
Is it across all sports? If so, Equestrian, Gymnastics, etc are probably near 100%, so they can afford to have football at 40%.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand, APR is calculated separately for each sport. This article goes into some more detail about the uga football team's relative rankings for both grad rate and APR. To save you the trouble of reading the article - it's not good. In fact, it's really bad. To the point where it's obvious they don't care, because other elite programs don't seem to have the same problem.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
When the AJC first ran the story about u(sic)ga’s GSR, they had a link to it via X/Twitter. The responses from the Dwag fans could be broken down as
1. The AJC sucks and hates uga (65%)
2. Who cares as long as we win (34.9%)
3. This is embarrassing (0.1%)

I was really surprised #3 had that many responses.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
As I said to my buddy earlier today -
Clemson is at 99%. So they obviously have their football players in essentially fake degree programs to get them "graduated".
Nothing new there, but it shows that they at least care about the optics of "graduating players."
What's interesting to me is that uga doesn't even bother with that much.
They may be getting “fake” degrees, but Dabo definitely cares just as much about developing his players off the field as he does on the field. Look how much the Gator Bowl win mattered to him on Saturday. Dabo has been so loyal to his guys that he has essentially refused to recruit out of the transfer portal until this year.

Saban has told numerous stories about wanting to help kids and build character and ways to help them when they get done with football. Bama has the 2nd highest graduation rate in the SEC. Bama has definitely had some mouthy mean SOBs play for Saban, but they still understand discipline and doing things the right way.

Kirby and UGA on the other hand don’t give a **** about anybody as long as they win football games. They literally had a player lose his life partly because of another player and staffers were acting incredibly irresponsibly. All they did was sweep it under the rug. Criminal charges should’ve been filed but nothing else happened. They continue to have multiple players arrested every year, their trouble with A-CCPD never seems to end. You don’t see Alabama or Ohio State or Michigan constantly have trouble with the law. Much less fail to graduate over 50% of their seniors with even a “fake” degree.

Anybody with a brain should be able to see what’s going on over there is despicable. Yet their fans just continue drinking and barking, applauding their success, rooting for more. Some of them actively encourage such behavior. It’s a joke. If there’s ever actually been a program worthy of a death penalty it’s them right now. School is non-existent, players and staffers involved in relationships, numerous arrests, a wrongful death, and plenty more. It’s a shame the NCAA has been totally neutered into a spineless shell corporation, not like they would’ve done anything anyway.

UGA is more corrupt now than Da U, FSU, USC, and SMU could’ve ever dreamed of being.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
It would also be interesting to see football athlete graduation rates vs general student body for the same school.

+/-%

/
The NCAA site doesn’t give the general student body rate, but you can look it up by individual sport or for all sports For uga, for all sports the most recent number is 86 vs the football team’s 41. Even the men’s basketball team is 23 points higher than the football team.

See https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/gsrsearch

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
It would also be interesting to see football athlete graduation rates vs general student body for the same school.

+/-%

/
You can lookup graduation rates using the IPEDS Data Center. You can also lookup USG institutions using the "USG by the numbers" website.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
17-18 year olds do not possess the capacity to see their lives 40 years down the road (speaking from personal experience), and the factory and big $$ schools sell them the dream of reaching the NFL and a quick payoff.

Now throw in NIL and instant transfer, and it’s akin to speed dating. The NCAA enabled all this. The ‘student-athlete’ doesn’t like where he’s at, and in less than a year, new playgrounds and new playmates. Irregardless of what school credits transfer (or not), many are receiving poor advice to sacrifice tomorrow and live for today.

This photo/chart was published several years, but point taken, the odds of reaching the NFL, then playing long enough to earn generational wealth is extremely low.

I hope someone is counseling these athletes to have a fallback plan. There is a proverb that says “walk with the wise and grow wise, for a companion of fools suffer harm”

1704079050338.jpeg

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Turf management is a real degree. Who do you think actually takes care of all the high end fields and golf courses in the US.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Turf management is a real degree. Who do you think actually takes care of all the high end fields and golf courses in the US.
You’re correct. I probably shouldn’t have picked on Turf Management. A school can make virtually anything a legitimate field of study with appropriate depth and rigor in the classroom.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some see the football team and college athletics in general as the "front porch" of the institute, generating favorable publicity for the school. There appears to be a correlation between major football success and an increase in applicants to the school, at least in some instances such as Bama. Whether or not this results in a measurable increase in the academic prowess of the student body is still open to debate.
I would suggest that it probably does result in a measurable increase in academic prowess. Being on the north side of Chicago, I know a number of very bright kids who were looking at Alabama, Clemson, and uga because of their football success. It seems that on-the-field success gets the attention of students who would not necessarily think about going to one of those schools, especially from areas like the upper mid-west and the northeast, where the academic scores are generally higher. It's somewhat anecdotal because I'm working with a small population, but there does appear to be a trend.