Got chills watching this

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I again hear the words of a look at me, turncoat, putting himself at the forefront, egomaniac whenever any crisis happens guy who labels those who disagree with him as nazis.

The Huddle - yeah lessons to be learned, but he got out in 64. Strictly because he could snap a football he did not go into another huddle to prove all his pontificating.

A huddle of men that laid down their lives in some jungles that were hotter than any football field ever was for Bill Curry.

I have been curious if Pepper had a funeral / service attended by more than just family members. If so I would in no way be surprised if curry was there with the rusty knife he used to shove in the back of the guy that gave him his first coaching job.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry, I again hear the words of a look at me, turncoat, putting himself at the forefront, egomaniac whenever any crisis happens guy who labels those who disagree with him as nazis.

The Huddle - yeah lessons to be learned, but he got out in 64. Strictly because he could snap a football he did not go into another huddle to prove all his pontificating.

A huddle of men that laid down their lives in some jungles that were hotter than any football field ever was for Bill Curry.

I have been curious if Pepper had a funeral / service attended by more than just family members. If so I would in no wah be surprised if curry was there with the rusty knife he used to shove in the back of the guy that gave him his first coaching job.

I can’t imagine watching that video and the above being what I take away from it.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I can’t imagine watching that video and the above being what I take away from it.

Yeah that escalated quickly.

Probably not the right take away either, but I always have to chuckle when football players/coaches feel the need to label it as “the ultimate team sport” with no real reasoning as to what makes it so other than it being the sport they happen to play/coach.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I again hear the words of a look at me, turncoat, putting himself at the forefront egomaniac whenever any crisis happens guy who labels those who disagree with him as nazis.

I have been curious if Pepper had a funeral / service attended by more than just family members. If so I would in no wah be surprised if curry was there with the rusty knife he used to shove in the back of the guy that gave him his first coaching job.

That's a strong opinion. I've only gotten to know Coach Curry in the last 10 years (through my dad as I was very young during his tenure at Georgia Tech). I've found him to be a kind, compassionate man and an incredibly moving speaker. I'd encourage you to reach out to Coach Curry to discuss your issues with him. I think you'd be surprised at his response. I'm happy to put you in touch if you choose.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps you don't know him, or went above and beyond getting contributions at the time for him, or maybe just blinded by the BS. I, back then, had dinner in his home, we had recruits come in our business for him (all legal then). My family interacted with him. That is why i know he showed his true self.

Perhaps you do as well and we just disagree. I just know my perception is from being there, not from some video.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

I have been curious if Pepper had a funeral / service attended by more than just family members. If so I would in no way be surprised if curry was there with the rusty knife he used to shove in the back of the guy that gave him his first coaching job.
Shewwwwwwwwww tell us how you really feel

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That's a strong opinion. I've only gotten to know Coach Curry in the last 10 years (through my dad as I was very young during his tenure at Georgia Tech). I've found him to be a kind, compassionate man and an incredibly moving speaker. I'd encourage you to reach out to Coach Curry to discuss your issues with him. I think you'd be surprised at his response. I'm happy to put you in touch if you choose.

Gee thanks.

I have had dealings and interactions since 1967 thru 1988.

That is ok.

A LOT, and I mean a LOT, of our problems at GT is because we too often for too long buy into BS.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Not saying you're wrong, but timing is everything. With this statement you putted to yesterdays hole.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah that escalated quickly.

Probably not the right take away either, but I always have to chuckle when football players/coaches feel the need to label it as “the ultimate team sport” with no real reasoning as to what makes it so other than it being the sport they happen to play/coach.
He says a little bit in the video, something like, "Every man has to do his job on every play to survive". I tend to agree that it is the ultimate team sport, at least out of all the mainstream sports because it can't be broken by one superstar player. In basketball, you could have someone that can do everything and just give him the ball every play, in baseball, you could have a pitcher pitch a perfect game (rare, I know) and win the game on just his efforts. In football if a lineman lets a defender through, the play is dead with the QB or RB.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps the focus should be on the message and what it's trying to convey right now than on the person delivering. It's fantastic to see the support the program has for the players, many of whom are the ones facing the real impacts and consequences of where we stand right now as a society. I'm sure there's a time and a place for denouncing former coaches, but this doesn't feel like one. In the context of the team, much prefer we focus on listening to their input and making sure the program supports them as best it can and we as fans do the same.

In the broader context, hearing the players we support speak about their experiences is certainly eye-opening and hopefully informs our views & actions moving forward. Glad Tech is providing them a platform to speak about issues off the field and is seemingly giving a strong support network, as well.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
He says a little bit in the video, something like, "Every man has to do his job on every play to survive". I tend to agree that it is the ultimate team sport, at least out of all the mainstream sports because it can't be broken by one superstar player. In basketball, you could have someone that can do everything and just give him the ball every play, in baseball, you could have a pitcher pitch a perfect game (rare, I know) and win the game on just his efforts. In football if a lineman lets a defender through, the play is dead with the QB or RB.

Lebron is 3-6 in NBA Finals. Perfect games generally require incredible defense behind them. Lamar Jackson won a Heisman with one of the worst OLs in the conference. Cam Newton carried a mediocre Auburn team to a title. WRs take running plays off all the time. QBs/RBs make the first man miss all the time.

Just as an example (not trying to make the same mistake and call my main sport the best sport) in rowing, your boat can actually be slowed down by one guy pulling harder than the rest.

I don't want to "like" your post, but I sure do agree with a lot of what you said.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

where did the nazi label come from. Did I miss it?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
where did the nazi label come from. Did I miss it?

After Charlottesville.

And i do apologize if I offended anyone here personally - not me intent.

But I just have no use for the "look at me types". When one of the Malone youngsters drowned (R.I.P) there was curry pontificating about the need for swimming instruction and community pools or things along those lines. Well fine - but if you knew about all these things why didn't you say / do something before? And when a kid at Northwestern tragically died, hell, there was curry on a plane to go give comfort to the entire university during their time of grieving. Fine but maybe skip the "which camera is live here" crap. Curry was more moral than every damn other football coach in America that sent condolences instead?

As for when he left I had a personal and business relationship with a great, true GT man (there is an area on campus today with his families name on it) that had busted his azz for anything he could do for GTAA and Curry. He was lied straight to his face about curry not leaving GT.

These are just my opinions based on my interactions. Everyone else is entitled to theirs.

I just find it almost obscene when they are based on a bunch of "oh goody" feel good crap instead of my experience with a different reality.

Because I promise you this tickle fest is not doing GT any good outside of these boundaries in building GT into something great.

And lastly curry, to cha imo, often mentioned how CBD's average year in & out win % was really just 6 to 7 wins.

Lastly, however, I will say curry's schedule in his first 2 - 3 were Totally unfair. NO coach in America, except maybe Bowden, would have played them. CBD's fault - not curry's.

Last edited: