Good Teams Don’t Beat Themselves

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
In an interview yesterday, he was asked if TM is still banged up if he'd consider starting TO. He said "I wouldn't do that to him." Wouldn't do WHAT to him??? He put him into the game on the road in a tough environment and he did fine...he wouldn't consider playing him in a HOME GAME? Stubborn is the right word.
CPJ has lost it...what he means is he won't do it to TQM because CPJ and TQM are best friends smh. We won't have the slightest chance this week if he doesn't start TO.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
• Not playing a QB with one (that's one, uno, ein, jeden) quarter of game experience in a crucial road game that we needed to win. And what would the impact be on his confidence when he failed? As, of course, he would have.

Just curious: in what language does "jeden" mean "one"?

But I like the points you made.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He has his faults like anybody does, but to say he’d not play the guy he thinks gives us the best chance to win is just dumb.

Why do so many non starter load up courses and move on as r juniors instead of being ready reserves in case of injury. Q W BB now playing in Pensacola while getting masters, etc.

It's called a difference of opinion on something that can't be measured.
There are only so many brass hats.

I believe it more often happens when a player feels he is in the dog house with a long long time position coach and coach does nothing to give the player a fair chance. Team leadership suffers when this happens.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not saying that other teams don’t make mental mistakes too, plenty do, but I’d say coach Johnson, despite his high standard, is an average coach at getting kids to play with discipline.

Look, I think his X’s and O’s aren’t perfect, but they are pretty dang good and make up for a lot of mental mistakes. But man, if he could coach out some of the bone headed things that has led to some easily avoidable losses then we’d be a much better team. Point is CPJ is good in one area and average/bad in another. Of course this is an opinion.
Right. The guy who runs - very effectively, mind you - one of the most complicated offenses in college football can't get a team to play with discipline.

He can, of course. But a lot of the problems we have had so far are the result of running a completely new defense. Special teams are often blamed here, but bad things happen in the kicking game pretty regularly for most teams. It has been our inability to stop people that has led to both losses. And that is something I was afraid might happen. We are improving, at least against the run, but, obviously, we've got awhile to go on this before the D players begin to get with the picture. That came with the territory when Roof was replaced. (Indeed, I bet we would have won both games if Ted was still running things. And lost some others later on.) But we needed to change and this kind of disorganization is to be expected.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
He has his faults like anybody does, but to say he’d not play the guy he thinks gives us the best chance to win is just dumb.

And, hopefully, you comprehend what 2 different sets of players parents said to me. One a business acquaintance, and one from church.

Not my opinion necessarily, but it has happened in a walks of life.

And, as I said, they mentioned positions not involving their sons.

And, as you said, JTO.

You are calling in to ask him about us practicing harder on S/T than any team in the country and why S/T then why it continues to hurt us so bad?

And last week I said we beat clemson. But will remain uncertain about BGSU.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And, hopefully, you comprehend what 2 different sets of players parents said to me. One a business acquaintance, and one from church.

Not my opinion necessarily, but it has happened in a walks of life.

And, as I said, they mentioned positions not involving their sons.

And, as you said, JTO.

You are calling in to ask him about us practicing harder on S/T than any team in the country and why S/T then why it continues to hurt us so bad?

And last week I said we beat clemson. But will remain uncertain about BGSU.
I never questioned his practice methods yet you questioned his player choices. Who were the guys wrongly placed on the depth chart btw? Or did you make it all up?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
TM was exalted after a great performance against a very bad team last year. He is not to blame one bit, but I cant help but believe he is in the wrong position.

At the very least he should have been pulled when he couldn't get up. Would you ever leave a running back in after the same? And the PJTO is complex, but that is no excuse for leaving a kid in after he gets wrecked.
This is one way to look at it. The other is that TaQuon got up with a hand from a teammate, went straight to the huddle, and went back to business without even a look at the sidelines. He made it pretty clear that he was ready to go and Coach didn't pull him. He could have, but that's a decision based on the player. I wouldn't have pulled TaQuon after he got hit; he's always been tough as nails.

As to position: I agree to this extent. If TaQuon had been replaced by Louis instead of Tobias in the USF game, we might have a different starter at QB. With Kirvontae out and talented, but inexperienced, BBs back there some of the pop is out of the running game and a better passer might be the answer. That doesn't mean TaQuon can't run the team at QB, however. When he's on - and some people we know aren't dropping the ball - he can be plenty effective enough.