Good post re Tech offense by UM blogger

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought that the article was good, for one written by someone who isn't a Tech fan. But this is only part 1. Maybe part 2 will get into the details more fully. I'll judge the content once I see that.

One thing he gets that so many of the opposing fans don't is the "Four and more" aspect of the O. I've sat in the stands with fans from other teams and watched them shake their heads when our fans are satisfied with 3 - 4 yards on first down. To them that's a failure, usually because one of their players "didn't try hard enough". People used to have the same problem when they played Ohio State when Woody Hayes was there. But "Four and more" is all you need; football really is a simple game if you get 3 - 4 ypc and you stay on schedule.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Great read - thanks for sharing! If Miami plays a 5 man front and try’s to take away the midline, as much as it pains me to say this, wouldn’t that bode well to start TM instead of TO? I know TO is still getting reps, but we’ve only seen him run the toss sweep; hasn’t made a pitch yet. If we can get out to the permetier of Miami, we could open up the Midline and B back again.

Thoughts? With all that said... I’d like to see TO have the chance to start a prime time game — he’s earned it IMHO.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I hope Miami spends all their time working on stopping the triple. What is his solution when we are in a heavy formation and the CB that is supposed to be the force player has to watch for the sweep?... and then has to take the BB on the counter ran to his side with motion to the other side?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Duke spends an inordinate amount of time on our offense.

Also, I’m going on record again as being for Monken as our next HC.
If you want the throw-the-ball crowd out in force, Monken makes Johnson look like Don Coryell on steroids.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I will begin by stating, for the record, that I am not a CPJ fan. That said, objectively speaking, 51% against P5 is not success, it's average, as grits. I'm not sure replacing him with a non -TO coach would be long term suicide. An Air raid coach would help in 3 of the 4 criteria you spotlight above, whether it would translate into wins is another question. The offense itself is an old man offense. It doesn't appeal to the younger set, it's boring as a baseball game in August. We sorely need younger fans in our stadium and something to appeal to them.
I'm an old man and I can't run it. But girls and beer would solve your appeal plea.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If you want the throw-the-ball crowd out in force, Monken makes Johnson look like Don Coryell on steroids.

I don’t have a problem being a contrarian.

I love the offense, and I think a guy like Monken can attract talent to play for him.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I will begin by stating, for the record, that I am not a CPJ fan. That said, objectively speaking, 51% against P5 is not success, it's average, as grits. I'm not sure replacing him with a non -TO coach would be long term suicide. An Air raid coach would help in 3 of the 4 criteria you spotlight above, whether it would translate into wins is another question. The offense itself is an old man offense. It doesn't appeal to the younger set, it's boring as a baseball game in August. We sorely need younger fans in our stadium and something to appeal to them.
I agree 51% is nothing to boast about but I would say it's more cream of wheat than grits. Grits would be closer to 75%. When any offense is struggling it is not fun to watch regardless of scheme. I'm curious how many of the option haters watch our games week in and week out and how many listen to talk radio. It takes a lot more effort to form an independent opinion based on one's observations than it does to parrot what you hear and agree with everyone at the water cooler.

Deleted member 2897

I hope Miami spends all their time working on stopping the triple. What is his solution when we are in a heavy formation and the CB that is supposed to be the force player has to watch for the sweep?... and then has to take the BB on the counter ran to his side with motion to the other side?

Yup there are answers to everything. I think a defense that changes up what they're doing frequently has the best chance. If you focus on just one or two techniques, then CPJ can adjust his blocking and playcalling.