good news on attendance.

George P. Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
In 2000 we had the highest paid coaching staff. The paid cpj bottom dollar compared to top teams in acc.

Saving our way to the bottom of acc.

Gt millionaires may be a myth.

There are plenty of GT millionaires. That's why GT's endowment is almost 2-3x the size of UGA, Bama and Clemson despite being a relatively small school compared to them and being founded much later. The school gets plenty of support on the academic side just not on the athletic side.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are plenty of GT millionaires. That's why GT's endowment is almost 2-3x the size of UGA, Bama and Clemson despite being a relatively small school compared to them and being founded much later. The school gets plenty of support on the academic side just not on the athletic side side the majority of its alumni actually care about.

FIFY. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, Missouri, West Virginia, Louisville. Literally every school outside of oil money Texas A&M who left for greener pastures has had less success in their new conference than where they were. A lot of them have been worse or lateral in basketball too. All that happened was the rich got richer. Is there more parity in college football right now, or in 2000? What about 2008? The answer is not now. The level of competition in terms of revenue in the B1G would put GT at a further disadvantage than we have right now. Instead of being say, $30M behind Clemson and $20M behind Miami, we’d be $85M behind Ohio State, $75M behind Michigan, and $30M behind mid tier teams like Iowa.
I keep hearing this same argument over and over and I still have a mental block against it. Tech’s problem, in my opinion, is not how far behind we are from other teams. Tech has always been behind the top teams in revenue. The problem is how far Tech is behind in solving its own debt issues and budget constraints.

Give Tech enough money to handle Tech’s program and I would bet we could go back to winning even against programs we were way behind in revenue, like we always used to do in the past.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this same argument over and over and I still have a mental block against it. Tech’s problem, in my opinion, is not how far behind we are from other teams. Tech has always been behind the top teams in revenue. The problem is how far Tech is behind in solving its own debt issues and budget constraints.

Give Tech enough money to handle Tech’s program and I would bet we could go back to winning even against programs we were way behind in revenue, like we always used to do in the past.
Tech generates more football revenue than Kentucky (SEC), Duke(ACC), North Carolina (ACC), Pittsburgh (ACC), Missouri (SEC), Mississippi State (SEC), Virginia (ACC), Vanderbilt (SEC) and Wake Forest (ACC).

GT has always had problems making decisions and misallocating of funds.

Richest and Poorest College Football Programs

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville has never won 10 games in their 8 years ACC. They did so 3 times in their last 8 years in the Big East/American. They do have 3 losing seasons though. They finished ranked 3 times in their last 8 years in The BE/AAC including as high as 6th, and only done so twice since joining the ACC. With the highest ranking of 21st.

How am I making false equivalences? I’m literally just pointing out the facts. ALL of those teams had extenuating circumstances, but somehow Tech doesn’t? If anything Tech has MORE extenuating circumstances than ANY of those teams. As I’ve said before, going to the B1G now does nothing but line the pockets of already rich coaches and administrators. It does nothing for the program or the fans.

We can compete in the ACC, and we can do it consistently. Paul’s favorite quote at the end was that GT finished 1st or 2nd in the Coastal for like 8 out of 9 years. Good luck doing that in a division with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. Or even just Wisconsin and Iowa. Michigan is one of the most valuable, most profitable, most successful, and most storied programs of all time, and they’ve appeared in the B1G CG only once in the 11 years since it’s inception. And they’ve had FIVE 10 win seasons in that span. If they can’t do it, how does GT even stand a chance? Tech played in the ACCCG after finishing 6-6 in 2012. Absolutely no way that’s possible in the B1G.

Until it’s absolutely necessary to make a move, the ACC should be GT’s permanent home. We can compete here. Even the biggest money schools in the ACC can’t break away too far from the pack, because the money isn’t ludicrous like it is in the B1G and SEC. We absolutely are a better program than 3 wins, but going to the B1G at the wrong time can doom us to being a 3 win program forever. If you don’t think it’s possible, look at all the existing examples. You think Nebraska ever thought they’d be a 3 win program?

And since this thread is specifically about attendance:
Maryland is in the DC market, which holds tons of B1G grads, just like Atlanta. In their last year in the ACC Maryland averaged about 38k fans per game. Their first year in the B1G they averaged about 45k. So that’s a pretty big jump. They played Ohio State and Michigan State at home in front of sellout crowds.
In 2018 when Michigan State came to College Park they only sold 32k tickets. And when #9 Ohio State came they only sold 38k. That is the same as their ACC average with one of the top teams with one of the biggest draws in the country came to play. Last year #6 Michigan played at Maryland in front of 36k. That’s less than our season average last year.

The point is that getting beat up on year after year takes a toll on a fanbase. Look at Vandy, look at Kansas, look at Duke. Hell look at our home games against UGA. BDS is totally red. If we joined the B1G our attendance might surge initially. But after a few years of getting dominated it would probably fall off drastically, just like Maryland.
You make good points that should be clear to the "lets join the B10 crowd". I do believe that Tech's best bet to improve our standing ,perception wise, is to remain in the ACC. Some how, some way get better coaching, better players and try to stay within the top 30 every year. Then we can take a look at further options.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Other than the SEC we are most aligned geographically with the ACC and certainly more alike academically. How many GT fans travel to Syracuse or Boston College for games. Imagine all the games being that far. Our biggest problem is if the ACC falls apart with no decent options.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You make good points that should be clear to the "lets join the B10 crowd". I do believe that Tech's best bet to improve our standing ,perception wise, is to remain in the ACC. Some how, some way get better coaching, better players and try to stay within the top 30 every year. Then we can take a look at further options.
The “let’s join the B10” is only because it’s our only option other than to stay in the wretched, dying ACC.

Frankly, at this point I’d like to merge with the Big12, add enough schools to develop a football playoff format to break ties in bowl tie in. Maybe 4x9 with 8 conference games, division winners go into an elimination bracket for NCAA playoff contention. 3 losers get New Year’s bowls, other eligible teams play head to heads week before conference championship to decide what lower tier bowls they get. With 36 teams about 16-18 are going bowling. That might generate some interest. They could align the conference geographically to enable better travel and keep current rivalries.

There’s all kinds to way we could be relevant and be in a decent conference without having to travel to wherever the hell in Indiana or Illinois to play schools like that we have no interest in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The “let’s join the B10” is only because it’s our only option other than to stay in the wretched, dying ACC.

Frankly, at this point I’d like to merge with the Big12, add enough schools to develop a football playoff format to break ties in bowl tie in. Maybe 4x9 with 8 conference games, division winners go into an elimination bracket for NCAA playoff contention. 3 losers get New Year’s bowls, other eligible teams play head to heads week before conference championship to decide what lower tier bowls they get. With 36 teams about 16-18 are going bowling. That might generate some interest. They could align the conference geographically to enable better travel and keep current rivalries.

There’s all kinds to way we could be relevant and be in a decent conference without having to travel to wherever the hell in Indiana or Illinois to play schools like that we have no interest in.

Why is the ACC wretched or dying?

I think it's one of the best conferences after SEC and B1G money wise. It is in the top 2 baseball conferences and basketball conferences. Just not money sport football.