Good Article on VT's defense vs. OSU. Defense is aimed at run-heavy QB's

Techfan591988

Georgia Tech Fan
VT -line backers are kind of small 210-215? Is that part of bud foster's method?

Bud Foster values speed over size at all positions, except maybe corner. He loves those big corners who are hard to block in run support.

He uses a one-gap attacking defense, so he relies on his undersized defensive linemen to use their quickness to get past a linemen at the snap. He sends linebackers and safeties into gaps to account for everything, hoping to spill the runner to a "free-hitter" running the alley. This is a very aggressive style which relies on negative plays to get the offense into obvious passing situations, multiplying the effectiveness of a speed defense. It is prone to being worn down though, as the players are smaller.

Beating Bud Foster's defense depends on being unpredictable (throwing on rushing downs) and outexecuting. You aren't going to outscheme Foster, but you might have better athletes. Finding ways to exploit those matchups will be key.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In the past, we've allowed VPI to eat us up inside, and still defend the edge with numbers. The only way that was possible is because we were slow. This year, our offense moves the ball around fast. I believe we will get to the edge all year against every team we play including VPI.

/
I think JT is much more deceptive on the give/keep part of the triple than Vad was. This will help slow down VT a little bit, too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bud Foster values speed over size at all positions, except maybe corner. He loves those big corners who are hard to block in run support.

He uses a one-gap attacking defense, so he relies on his undersized defensive linemen to use their quickness to get past a linemen at the snap. He sends linebackers and safeties into gaps to account for everything, hoping to spill the runner to a "free-hitter" running the alley. This is a very aggressive style which relies on negative plays to get the offense into obvious passing situations, multiplying the effectiveness of a speed defense. It is prone to being worn down though, as the players are smaller.

Beating Bud Foster's defense depends on being unpredictable (throwing on rushing downs) and outexecuting. You aren't going to outscheme Foster, but you might have better athletes. Finding ways to exploit those matchups will be key.
Limited unforced offensive penalties is key, too. We've been particularly good at limiting false start and delay of game penalties so far this year. That must continue moving forward. We've had zero chop blocks so far, as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @GTNavyNuke . I saw the exact same thing with VT's secondary.

They practically invited VT to pass the ball with single coverage on the outside relying on their perceived superior DBs versus OSU's WRs. The problem with that was, VT's DBs were actually getting beat but VT's blitz was so good it affected OSU's QB's ability to deliver the ball down the field. A more seasoned and more accurate QB would have toasted that secondary and made VT pay for playing so aggresively against the run.

Unfortunately, VT's gameplan against teams like us plays directly against our weaknesses (IMO). We're not very good at pass blocking, and we have a young QB who's downfield passing ability is questionable right now.

The one thing I think we have an advantage against VT that OSU didn't have: Smelter. On some of those passes that hung in the air a half second too much and let the VT DB back into the play, Smelter would have easily beaten VT's DBs to make the play. That I am confident of. I would like to say having a 6'5 receiver in Waller is going to help but he has been inconsistent with using his height to beat his man on 50/50 passes. Hopefully that has improved and we'll see it against VT.

Bud Foster is a very smart coach. He's going to bring numbers and apply pressure, much like last year, until we prove we can stop it. It's going to be an interesting game of chess between him and CPJ because I don't think there's any secrets between the two after 6 games and all those tapes floating around. The question is who will have their players better prepared....last year it was Bud Foster.
In complete agreement. In watching the VPI-OSU game it looked like Foster was gambling on getting to the quarterback before he could get set and receivers could finish their routes. The gamble paid off most of the time but when it didn't VPI got exposed big time. It was a smart defensive plan because I don't think any other approach would have worked. But VPI was also lucky they did not get burned more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In complete agreement. In watching the VPI-OSU game it looked like Foster was gambling on getting to the quarterback before he could get set and receivers could finish their routes. The gamble paid off most of the time but when it didn't VPI got exposed big time. It was a smart defensive plan because I don't think any other approach would have worked. But VPI was also lucky they did not get burned more.
That tells me they're vulnerable to the quick slant, smoke route and the hitch & go.

And the bad news is this. Ohio States quarterback was very green. Justin has some experience, but he is not a wily veteran by any means. Foster wanted to get to the inexperienced quarterback and keep him off balance. Look for more of the same next week. I think Justin has the advantage over the Buckeye qb in that he can run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They probably are vulnerable IFF the quarterback can recognize immediately, process the information, and execute instantaneously, while avoiding the rush. A tall order for a young quarterback on a team that runs 80-85%
Smoke route's not hard to recognize, deep corner. The other routes are quick hitters, as well. If the line can't give him 2 seconds to pass, we won't win regardless.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Two Things I saw from 1st Half of VPI vs. tOSU:
1) I smiled and almost LOL'd when VPI's WR came back and cut the tOSU DB from the side making an illegal crack back. The very thing Beamer complained about wrt Wright or Peeples a few years ago.

2) The VPI corners playing man coverage on tOSU receivers were good but vulnerable. They kept their backs to the QB and faced the WRs throughout the route. High passes to our tall receivers may get through, but also WRs raising their eyes and hands to feign an early catch should draw pass interference.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your #2 is what I saw. Their DBs are very vulnerable since they weren't following the play but the receiver. The refs didn't call the interference either; so it was a smart defensive tactic.

I also saw a gun slinging QB who is going to have a short career if he keeps fighting up the middle.

I will be switching between our game and the VT game on Saturday just to see how VT looks against ECU.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
That's right, we haven't. I am used to one a game. Usually a drive killer.
I chuckled a little bit in the Wofford game when I saw they got called for one, not us. It's so unusual.
Have you been watching the same team as me? Every game I saw chop block called the last few years, it was always more against the other team, not us... Can one of the stat geniuses pull the stats on chop block differential?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Have you been watching the same team as me? Every game I saw chop block called the last few years, it was always more against the other team, not us... Can one of the stat geniuses pull the stats on chop block differential?

Agree we haven't been called for many in the past few years. However there is a good chance we will have at least one called on us vs VT.

Beamer understands we try to limit possessions. Since his offense is also typically ball control/high TOP-oriented he knows each possession for each team in a game vs our offense is especially valued. Consequently one of his tricks when playing us is to work the refs HARD before the game about chop blocks and try to get one called on us. With Bud's defense a called chop block pretty much ends that possession.

And since possessions are limited it has a larger effect on the game. Also related to the discussion of Bud's using smaller, quicker defenders note that this is likely why VT will use a ball control offense as long as he is the DC there. This way Bud's defense can stay as rested as possible. Actually it's similar to why I think Roof's defensive style is a good pairing for our offense.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree we haven't been called for many in the past few years. However there is a good chance we will have at least one called on us vs VT.

Beamer understands we try to limit possessions. Since his offense is also typically ball control/high TOP-oriented he knows each possession for each team in a game vs our offense is especially valued. Consequently one of his tricks when playing us is to work the refs HARD before the game about chop blocks and try to get one called on us. With Bud's defense a called chop block pretty much ends that possession.

And since possessions are limited it has a larger effect on the game. Also related to the discussion of Bud's using smaller, quicker defenders note that this is likely why VT will use a ball control offense as long as he is the DC there. This way Bud's defense can stay as rested as possible. Actually it's similar to why I think Roof's defensive style is a good pairing for our offense.
Didn't Bud intentionally putting his guys on the receiving end of chop blocks blow up one of his lineman's knee with a career ending injury a few years back? I think this particular play we didn't get flagged because from our players end, they didn't break any rules. The defense put themselves into physically dangerous positions.

EDIT*** It was DT John Graves. He re-injured his ankle against us in the Oct 17 2009 game. Anyone got video of it?

Last edited: