Golf team starting strong

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
That's good to know. I've only known of him for the past two days actually. Although I've regularly checked in on the team throughout the year and watched the PGA Tour U rankings on the The Golf Channel it's only been Steelman and maybe Lambrecht as the standouts on the team. But watching them all these past two days, like you suggested, I'm not counting any of them out.

Go Jackets.
Hiroshi played really well yesterday afternoon. He was solid with both his tee shots as well as his irons. His putting just let him down a bit at the end. He had several putts that just missed. A couple of those drop and he would have walked away a winner as well. Like another poster said, I expect Hiroshi to give Biondi a real battle today. Keep in mind that this is the first time he has played at Grayhawk. Everyone else on our team played there the past year or two. He brought us home with a clutch victory in the quarterfinals while Biondi was getting blown out by his opponent. I think Coach knew exactly what he was doing with this matchup.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It will be on the golf channel, I believe starting at 5 EST. I would double check the time however. I watched our match yesterday. Lot's of drama!! In both matches,,,us vs UNC and UF/FSU.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Just wondering if any of you who have participated in competitive golf prefer match vs. stroke play?

I lean to stroke play as I am (or more accurately, was) usually the grinding, steady-eddy type of consistent golfer who wasn't going to make a lot of birdies and eagles but wasn't going to make any big numbers either. In match play I would always hate the guy with the approximate same handicap who had 5 birdies and three double or triple bogies during the round. Since each hole counts the same I never felt like I had any leverage in match play. Your thoughts?

BTW, go Jackets!!!!!
On a course like Grayhawk I think the advantage goes to the steady player who doesn't make mistakes in match play. Grayhawk is set up to penalize the golfer who is prone to mistakes both off the tee as well as at the green. Having watched the last two days of coverage I have seen that a wayward driver will lose you the hole every time. Fortunately for us our guys are so strong off the tee that even though we can't use the drivers to our advantage like we normally do, we hit our driving irons as long as most players hit the drivers or 3 woods. I think that has really helped us this week.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just wondering if any of you who have participated in competitive golf prefer match vs. stroke play?

I lean to stroke play as I am (or more accurately, was) usually the grinding, steady-eddy type of consistent golfer who wasn't going to make a lot of birdies and eagles but wasn't going to make any big numbers either. In match play I would always hate the guy with the approximate same handicap who had 5 birdies and three double or triple bogies during the round. Since each hole counts the same I never felt like I had any leverage in match play. Your thoughts?

BTW, go Jackets!!!!!
I prefer match play. You know what you have to do at every moment.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And 1 bad hole doesn't destroy your chances.

Again, I am the one less likely to have the bad hole (but also less likely to post a bunch of birdies). I guess I am saying I have less variance than a lot of guys around my mean score. Also, match play can cause me to think about what my opponent is doing, which is something I am much less likely to do in stroke play where I feel like I am playing the course more than the guy.

In match play, I find myself doing things outside of my usual game like maybe reaching for an iron on a long par 4 if my opponent has hit one OB or maybe taking a mid iron on my second on a par 5. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had to hit an iron off the tee on a par 4 in the last 20 years and those holes are usually some sort of ridiculous dogleg that you rarely encounter. Doing things that I typically wouldn't do in a normal round has been a hindrance rather than a help. I have had to learn to play everything as if it were stroke play. But I seem to think the majority of the guys in my club like the match play format.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Was named as GT’s 10th 1st Team All-American, today!
Obviously voting occurred before the championships. Maybe his game is just not suited to this course layout/distances. Had a good round in the final stroke round, but has been very pedestrian at best otherwise.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Was named as GT’s 10th 1st Team All-American, today!
He earned it, had a great season. In the pros you play 2 bad days & go home, next torunament you're in the money. This is 7 rounds of hell you can't leave until it's over. He can get this match back, just needs a break or two and his opponent will fold like a cheap tent.