Golf match play strategy discussion

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, I am the one less likely to have the bad hole (but also less likely to post a bunch of birdies). I guess I am saying I have less variance than a lot of guys around my mean score. Also, match play can cause me to think about what my opponent is doing, which is something I am much less likely to do in stroke play where I feel like I am playing the course more than the guy.

In match play, I find myself doing things outside of my usual game like maybe reaching for an iron on a long par 4 if my opponent has hit one OB or maybe taking a mid iron on my second on a par 5. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had to hit an iron off the tee on a par 4 in the last 20 years and those holes are usually some sort of ridiculous dogleg that you rarely encounter. Doing things that I typically wouldn't do in a normal round has been a hindrance rather than a help. I have had to learn to play everything as if it were stroke play. But I seem to think the majority of the guys in my club like the match play format.

@4shotB
I think you're doing it wrong, tbh. I'm a steady eddy as well, but I win a lot of match play matches that way. The competition of me vs another guy is more motivating than me vs the course which plays a part in it certainly, I'm a very competitive person, but match play is all about playing aggressive golf to conservative targets. I can't tell you how many times I've made a bogey after a drop and end up pushing a hole where my opponent played it too safe after seeing me screw up. You don't have to make birdies, you just can't make doubles and give anything away for free (though I've been 2 up after a double, double start before).

On a separate note, how long are the courses you're playing to never take iron off the tee on a par 4?!? It's very common for me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@4shotB
I think you're doing it wrong, tbh. I'm a steady eddy as well, but I win a lot of match play matches that way. The competition of me vs another guy is more motivating than me vs the course which plays a part in it certainly, I'm a very competitive person, but match play is all about playing aggressive golf to conservative targets. I can't tell you how many times I've made a bogey after a drop and end up pushing a hole where my opponent played it too safe after seeing me screw up. You don't have to make birdies, you just can't make doubles and give anything away for free (though I've been 2 up after a double, double start before).

On a separate note, how long are the courses you're playing to never take iron off the tee on a par 4?!? It's very common for me.
Interesting conversation and I appreciate the different perspective. I liked applying pressure against my opponent by being consistent and steady.

At my age, I will play tees that range from 6,000 - 6500 yards. I have given up on the 6800 - 7200 yard courses a few years back. Even in my younger days I wasn't a long hitter but could keep my driver in the fairway better than most.I don't know how old you may be but I always felt like my game relative to my peers was similar to the golf played by Corey Pavin or David Toms...albeit at a far, far lower level of course. Although my personal life in my younger years was most similar to John Dailey or Tiger Woods. ;)

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting conversation and I appreciate the different perspective. I liked applying pressure against my opponent by being consistent and steady.

At my age, I will play tees that range from 6,000 - 6500 yards. I have given up on the 6800 - 7200 yard courses a few years back. Even in my younger days I wasn't a long hitter but could keep my driver in the fairway better than most.I don't know how old you may be but I always felt like my game relative to my peers was similar to the golf played by Corey Pavin or David Toms...albeit at a far, far lower level of course. Although my personal life in my younger years was most similar to John Dailey or Tiger Woods. ;)
My driver used to be the best club in my bag (and some days still is). I'm a better wedge player now. My home course is ~6600 yds though I probably need to move back a set of tees since I only hit driver 4-6 times per round. 6800-7200 yds is a lot for most golfers unless it's a place like Ross Bridge where it's super wide open.