Going Forward

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Capture.PNG

We are all entitled to our own opinion. We don't have to agree but we can respect one another and most importantly our coaches/team in the process.

I really thought we would have bounced back against UNC. Well... There are a ton of things that can be said and most of them have already been said on here the last couple of days.

I hate being a broken record but just wanted to quickly touch on a few things I have noticed.

Offense: We looked a bit better Saturday. We didn't really have the wow factor again but at the 21-0 mark it looked liked good old fashioned CPJ football. The OL interior blocking is still not there. The failure to convert on 3rd and goal / 4th goal was a killer. The JT fumble was an even bigger killer.

Defense: At the 21-0 mark we looked about as good as I have seen us. Then... we just lost focus. The QB scrambles were our undoing. The Gotsis call was ridiculous to say the least. And if only DJ could have snagged that pick 6....

ST: The snap was pitiful but Rodwell did an excellent job of getting the ball up the field at least a little bit. Butker had another nice field goal at the end to give us a shot. Many folks were bad mouthing him after the ND game. I think he has really played well the last two games.

Going forward.

Thus far this has been a disappointing season for the GT nation to say the least. I think everyone is looking for someone or something to blame to find the explanation for our heartache. Injuries, Inexperience, Coaching, Team Chemistry, Mental Focus/Media Hype. Usually its not one thing but a mixture of things that cause one single problem.

Going forward I have to say its easy to give up and be a pessimist. Its easy to say bench this person or fire this person. But at the end of the day sometimes things just don't go the way you want them to go. Accept it.

We have a lot of talent on this team. To only be 2-3 with all the injuries and inexperience I believe says a lot about our team. That actually excites me going forward. We are losing close games. Games that we have been in. That says something about the character of our team and how they continue to not give up.

Its hard guys/gals. I know. Its hard to find positives with so much negative going on. But going forward anything is possible. If the character of our team was failing late in games then I would say we wouldn't even make a bowl game this year. But this team has HEART. And lots of it. No one on this board is going to argue that and if you do then you are not watching the games close enough. WE DON'T QUIT. We may look discombobulated at times but we never give up. That is a mark of a winning football team.

Bottom line. We have not played well. Does anyone on here doubt that if we play like we are capable then we cannot win big? I see a team with the ability to steam roll other teams.

Questioning our coaches:
We all do it. Its human nature. But its easy to sit back and say. "We shoulda ran the other play in that situation" How do you KNOW the other play would've not got blown up too? YOU DON'T.

The ball has not bounced our way this season. If we get the 4th and 1 against Duke do we see a different outcome? If we get the pick 6 or the 4th and goal against UNC is it a different outcome?

We are not talking about games we are talking about single plays that have altered the outcome of a single game for us this season. This may not change. Things may get worse.

GT is not known for basking in the limelight as the media darling. But what GT is known for is doing what media and everyone else thought was improbable. GT plays well when there back is against the wall. Don't forget that.

I for one WILL NOT GIVE UP on a team that refuses to give up on themselves.

This season is not over.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 1221
...To only be 2-3 with all the injuries and inexperience I believe says a lot about our team. That actually excites me going forward...

I agree with most of this...but I'm not sure about this comment. I cannot see any scenario where our record could be worse than 2-3 right now. We could have beat Alcorn and Tulane by playing our second string.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only hope I’m clinging on to is the fact we won the Coastal last year after losing to Duke and UNC but for Duke to lose 3 in conference last year was about the luckiest thing that could happen to us.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The hope I have is we usually win a game we're not "supposed" to win. We need at least 4 to keep the bowl streak alive at this point which will hopefully come from Pitt, UVA, VPI, and Miami. None of those are a given and like most tech fans I'd trade any of those with a W against UGA. I think the bowl streak is important as a reward to the players, even if they end up in Shreveport.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Not just NO but HELL NO I'm not giving up on this team. Our guys need us more now than ever. What kind of fan would I be if I deserted them now.

Am I disappointed? Yes but it won't be the first or the last time that happens. We have seven game left and anything can happen win or lose. I'm not going anywhere and PROUD of these guys. They deserve our support !

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Great post, I totally agree and would like to add one thought that came to me as I mulled over Saturdays games.
Between us and our biggest rival who has the more recent National Championship ? GT 1990 UGA 1980 and who has the more recent Conference Championship ? GT 2009 UGA 2005
The State of Georgia is a hotbed for HS talent and they have pretty much gotten most of it with Top 10 recruiting classes year after year ...
They will argue they have beaten us head-to-head, but most of the games have been close and could have gone either way.
It's easy to be a fan when things are rolling, but you find out what your made of when things aren't !
Been a fan since grad school classes in the early 80's and I'm with IronJacket all the way !

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I really don't see any reason to give up hope yet. Last year we looked terrible up until UNC and we couldn't close against them. We were not impressive against Wofford and almost lost GSU. We were absolutely deplorable against Duke as well. This year is the same we just happened to have played Notre Dame instead of GSU. Everyone essentially wrote us off after UNC but we turned it around in a big way. I believe we can still turn it around but we do have a tough schedule. If anything maybe Clemson and FSU don't take us as seriously. My only concern is I don't believe Duke will lose 3 so maybe we can sucker our way into a 3 way tie with Miami or VT.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well Schlabach had us playing Auburn in the independence bowl and the other guy at ESPN has us playing Navy. They haven't given up on us yet.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well Schlabach had us playing Auburn in the independence bowl and the other guy at ESPN has us playing Navy. They haven't given up on us yet.

They haven't looked at our schedule. I can't imagine that they have us beating any of CU, FSU, or georgie and then have us going undefeated against, vpi, pitt, uva, and d'oh U.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not giving up hope on this team because I LOVE YJ football. Football in general makes falls SO much better. Am I as confident as I was to start the season?? Absolutely not. But I haven't seen anything yet that tells me we can't compete with any of the teams left on our schedule. Who really has looked unbeatable this season?? UCLA lost... OSU almost lost, UGA got destroyed, almost every other team I have watched hasnt looked complete. I just hope our team shows up to play hard each week and that we can enjoy a few more wins before the season is over.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think there are two separate topics here.

1) We shouldn't give up on this team. They are playing hard, continue to fight to the last whistle, and facing great adversity with a spree of injuries. At the worst, we are gaining important perspective and playing time for younger players. At best, we are poised to make a comeback and play strong the next third of the season and get a resurgent performance on the back half of the schedule. Either way I'll continue to fly my GT Flag high.

2) The next few games only get tougher, and we obviously will have to play with intense focus and effort to win each of the games ahead.

I believe in this team and will be rooting on our boys each and every week.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I would like to be positive but unless we get some big plays out some guys(like White drop of pick6) , Jeune or some WR gets BIG, and the Oline starts rolling--we are looking at a losing season
we were the hunter now the hunted