Go Jackets

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have to say something here. We didn't "dominate" UVA; we beat them. Solidly.

I get soooooo tired of this sado-masochistic terminology used in sports these days. Do we really need to talk about "dominating" an opponent in a sporting contest? It has a slightly creepy sound to me.

I know that the Jarhead didn't mean it that way; his posts are always pure Tech fan all the way. Shoot, everyone talks that way these days, even my son. But it bothers me. I don't want to to make out that because a team I root for beat another that I am in a dominant position over their fans or anything like that.

Well, I'll get off the pulpit now.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Might be a good thing right now to be behind Dook in the standings. It gives our guys a goal to fight for. PLEASE somebody beat Dookie this year. No one wants them in the acccg

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have to say something here. We didn't "dominate" UVA; we beat them. Solidly.

I get soooooo tired of this sado-masochistic terminology used in sports these days. Do we really need to talk about "dominating" an opponent in a sporting contest? It has a slightly creepy sound to me.

I know that the Jarhead didn't mean it that way; his posts are always pure Tech fan all the way. Shoot, everyone talks that way these days, even my son. But it bothers me. I don't want to to make out that because a team I root for beat another that I am in a dominant position over their fans or anything like that.

Well, I'll get off the pulpit now.
Take it for what it is worth but the actual etymology and usage of dominant in play should be the original meaning far older than the contemporary sexual connotation unfortunately added to the term. It is from the Latin dominare which mean to rule or govern. Same root for "dominion."

So in the football context it basically means Tech "ruled" UVA, or "domineered" over them on the field. The latin Dominus is a nominative translated as "Lord" so we could say that we "lorded" it over the Cavaliers.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Take it for what it is worth but the actual etymology and usage of dominant in play should be the original meaning far older than the contemporary sexual connotation unfortunately added to the term. It is from the Latin dominare which mean to rule or govern. Same root for "dominion."

So in the football context it basically means Tech "ruled" UVA, or "domineered" over them on the field. The latin Dominus is a nominative translated as "Lord" so we could say that we "lorded" it over the Cavaliers.
my thoughts exactly...while I'd agree with takethepoints if someone made reference to "r" word, this seems like a stretch to me...dominate is a completely legitimate term.