Glad Barry Switzer Enjoyed the Show

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yep. The New Mexico and GaSo offenses are essentially the same, flexbone concepts with zone blocking out of a graduated pistol. NM ran for 400+ yards against Boise State this season. In the first half.

Why is there such a perceived sexiness about it when run out of the gun?

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is there such a perceived sexiness about it when run out of the gun?

200 rushing yards a quarter is pretty sexy, but I totally prefer the Flex under center or out of the Pistol. I will say, though, that the more upright blocking and putting the QB behind the LOS puts him in a better position to pass. The Muskegon offense is the best thing going in prep ball. There's more than one way to skin a Bulldog.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Like my buddy texted me about something totally random today with..."you think Paul Johnson gives a F..."

I think whoever mentioned it was just saying, the Johnson/Niumatalolo/Monken system is showing up in other playbooks, at least in distorted form. It's better than having no influence at all, and the other versions appear to be prolific in their own right.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to the OP, it is laughable for some teams when they run the option a couple of times in a game. Looks like it is in slow motion run by the three stooges.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
True story:

Was watching the abomination of a "pro" football game that was the Panthers and Cardinals playoff game this weekend. Got tired of Arizona's sacrilegious "pro" offense trying to ineptly move the ball down the field (seriously...78 TOTAL yards!!! We get that on our first drive every game.).

I quickly turned on the recording of the Orange Bowl so I could remind myself what a joy it was to actually watch a supremely well coached and executed offense. All was right in my football world after that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Geek is 100% correct. I was hoping that the Broncs would put in a full read option offense in the off season after they got to the playoffs and I'd be able to watch Bey-Bey running toss sweeps. That would have been fun and watching the DBs trying to tackle him with a full head of steam would have been even better. But I was counting without John Elway.

Tebow is a good option QB; perfect for the pros because he's so big. And, yes, Coach would get three option QBs for the first year for $10M. The real problem for the option in the pros is the size of the roster, the amount they'd have to pay the QBs after year one, and the amount they would have to pay the taxi squad members to be ready to replace injured players, if luck ran against them. The owners are afraid of that and so are the players (they're organized, remember). But I personally think the day is coming. It's like Billy Bean and Moneyball; sooner or later somebody is going to try it and they will stride to the Superbowl, just like the Sox did to the Series.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Back to the OP, it is laughable for some teams when they run the option a couple of times in a game. Looks like it is in slow motion run by the three stooges.
Isn't that the truth. That Miss St. option play that Golden blew up in the 2nd half was remarkable - almost like we were sending a message to the rest of college football: keep your stinkin paws off of OUR offense.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
That play took so long to develop, Golden came from a long way off, but once he diagnosed it, it was katey bar the door.
I actually thought the biggest problem on that play was the complete wiff of a block by that halfback and Golden. He took a bad angle and didn't come within a foot of getting a hand on him. If the half back makes the block and the play is going a long way since we were in man.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
True story:

Was watching the abomination of a "pro" football game that was the Panthers and Cardinals playoff game this weekend. Got tired of Arizona's sacrilegious "pro" offense trying to ineptly move the ball down the field (seriously...78 TOTAL yards!!! We get that on our first drive every game.).

I quickly turned on the recording of the Orange Bowl so I could remind myself what a joy it was to actually watch a supremely well coached and executed offense. All was right in my football world after that.

You gotta give the Panthers credit. At least they're starting to use Cam Newton the right way. His option skills are rudimentary, but he's an indomitable runner. Was it sloppy and faltering? Yes, but at least they're breaking the mold. They scored more points vs. Arizona's defense than the Lions or Cowboys were able to.

The Cardinals on the other hand were a sad sight. Here's an incredibly talented coach who just clings to a 1990's concept of NFL offense at all costs. Arians was willing to embarrass his team and bomb out of the playoffs before he would put Logan Thomas in and run the read-o.

Ironic that BA's whole reason for signing slow, straightforward passers in the first place is "your QB will get hurt if he runs." Last time I checked the Seahawks, Dolphins and Panthers' starting QBs are healthy. Nobody blames the hazards of a stationary pocket or an obvious over-reliance on throwing for Arizona's injuries at QB. There's a double standard.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually thought Golden made an excellent move to get around the guy and avoid the block. But, that might be giving one of our guys too much credit :cool:
He did make a nice play but if we were on O and one of our A Blocks made a block like that on #3 and our pitch back got destroyed the first thing I'm thinking wouldn't be what a play the opposing db made. It would be WTF was our A back doing there. Maybe that's just me.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
He did make a nice play but if we were on O and one of our A Blocks made a block like that on #3 and our pitch back got destroyed the first thing I'm thinking wouldn't be what a play the opposing db made. It would be WTF was our A back doing there. Maybe that's just me.
Totally agree but you don't run option against an option based team. That's why 99% of the time I win going under when two option teams play each other. It's not just the clock running, it's they know how to play it better than any other team.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved what the Redskins did with RG3 prior to his injury, but even there you saw a player and agent fight against the team because he wanted to protect and advance his brand.

So in conclusion, I'm not a doubter that the offense would work. I'm more of a doubter in the required level of character from the professionals you'd need to work with in order to be successful.

Look at Desean Jackson, who essentially walked from Philly because there is no such thing as a featured receiver in a Chip Kelly offense and you better block.

Well I guess you draft WRs from GT then :)