Give Some Love to Jordan Yates!!!!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We are not an 8 win team with either QB running the ship. That is a fact. At best we win 6 and get to a bowl game this year. Yates' floor is very high but his ceiling is low. Sims' floor is low but his ceiling is high. I believe right now Yates' consistency and decision making has earned him another start. Clemson for sure we will not win with either QB but let's see how he handles everything against a superior team.
I don't agree that Yates' ceiling is low. He's had this little work and he's already showing this much moxie and talent? I would say he has a ways to go before he hits his ceiling.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am just glad he stayed and didn't enter the transfer portal. He finally got his chance and made the most of it. Just a couple of missed FG's and a few inches out of bounds on a TD throw and we are 2-0.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s not a good way to welcome people to GTSwarm. Just so I know, how many messages does he need to have before he has a valid opinion? 🤔

I really dont care what you have to say, with your *checks profile* 2 messages. If you want to talk X's and O's Im with it, but outside of that, I'm good. Bye bye.

Sorry, but number of posts doesn't equate to being more or less of a contributor to the board here. I've been a Tech fan since 2003 and probably haven't missed but a handful of games watching live since then and I was at the KSU game this past Saturday and I don't even live in Georgia currently. I found this board and I'm now posting.

But mark my post down, if we win 8 games (with any QB) then everyone on this board will be praising CGC and the rest of the team (including the QB). As a matter of fact, Collins will be on the list of coaches for potential other teams if that happens! But my bet is we will not get to 8 wins....and Vegas is run by a bunch of smart guys that agree with me.

Let's see who's right in the end. I'm a fan....but a realist.... the goal for this year IMO is to get to a bowl game. That would would show an excellent step for Collins' 3rd year. And I don't care which QB gets us to that point.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but number of posts doesn't equate to being more or less of a contributor to the board here. I've been a Tech fan since 2003 and probably haven't missed but a handful of games watching live since then and I was at the KSU game this past Saturday and I don't even live in Georgia currently. I found this board and I'm now posting.

But mark my post down, if we win 8 games (with any QB) then everyone on this board will be praising CGC and the rest of the team (including the QB). As a matter of fact, Collins will be on the list of coaches for potential other teams if that happens! But my bet is we will not get to 8 wins....and Vegas is run by a bunch of smart guys that agree with me.

Let's see who's right in the end. I'm a fan....but a realist.... the goal for this year IMO is to get to a bowl game. That would would show an excellent step for Collins' 3rd year. And I don't care which QB gets us to that point.
You're good. This is largely a good board. Ignore blowhards.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Hey, I agree with you. Your number of posts has nothing to do with whether or not you have a valid point. That’s why I asked that question.

I would love to know the number of teams that started a season unranked with 3 top 10 teams on their schedule and finished the season with 8 wins. I would think it would be a very short list.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Just start your post with "I think" and you should be pretty much covered. Too many people equate opinion with a statement of fact. I do it too sometimes. I try to remember to make sure all those who will take offense understand that I understand that my statement is my opinion and that it's as valid as anyone else's.

On the flip side to that, I think trying to predict how many games we'll win after our first two games is a fools' errand.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
You have no idea if we are an 8 win team or not. Besides Georgia, nobody looks that great that we play.

I will agree with the floor/ceiling, but those are theoretical. I think Yates keeps the job until he loses it or Sims earns it back. Both guys and the team will be better for it
I would say that Clemson is every bit as good as the mutts. They are a pick-six away from a flat footed tie. UVA, VT, Pitt and BC have all looked pretty salty so far. Miami and UNC have not lived up to the hype so far. We could do like Ross’s 1989 team and win 7 of the last 8 after a slow start, but I think saying nobody but Georgia looks that great is a stretch.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Sims is a runner who can pass. Yates is a passer who can run. I know…sounds silly and a little oversimplified. In the NIU game, Sims seemed a tad reluctant to plant his feet and commit to the pass. Instead, he looked like he much preferred to run and only pass if he had to. Yates seemed much more comfortable with planting, scanning, and passing.

I think we need Yates on Saturday. We need more of a pass threat against Clemson. If they know we have to run, it is going to be a very long day.
Doesn't sound silly at all. I'm not sure I've seen enough of either to agree or disagree but the distinction makes sense. I largely attribute much of Sims's penchant to run last year to the poor protection he got. And we really haven't seen much of him this season so that's why I just don't know whether I agree or not. As for Yates you might be right. I'm happy that he's had a couple of good performances so far and I will root for him to continue having good performances if he's the guy taking snaps. I'm sure the Braves are, too since they are a sponsor of his with the NIL ;)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This is just me but Yates is a winner, does not have all the physical attributes of Sims but I would take the winner to play with every time. Someone said that Sims is the better long term choice and that possibly could be true and then it might not be, because of the difference in winning mindsets I'm going with yates until I see different, but I'm not CGC.
We're still very weak in the trenches both sides IMO, until we get a whole lot better there we will not get a championship type QB, maybe next year we are better both sides of trenches towards end of year I'm guessing. Hope I'm wrong and it's this year later in the season.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I am just glad he stayed and didn't enter the transfer portal. He finally got his chance and made the most of it. Just a couple of missed FG's and a few inches out of bounds on a TD throw and we are 2-0.
Honestly if he starts game 1 offense moves more fluidly we probably score a little more in first half we don't have the botched fumble and Yates hits wide open WRs that Sims missed.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll say this for fun...If Yates Stat line looks like this at end of Clemson game he's my starter for rest of season.

60+ Completion %
200+ Passing Yards
2 TDs running or throwing and no multiple TOs

I don't think that's to far fetched of impossible but so much rides on oline to allow running game to at least be serviceable and give him a little time

Last edited:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates looks like a QB out there. Pre snap he’s showing leadership getting guys lined up. Stays calm, decisive with the ball, seems to be seeing the whole field, throws very catchable passes. I like Sims’ potential, but he may need more time to really learn the position. We really haven’t seen much of Sims this season to fully evaluate, but it looked like he had quite a case of the yips for the quarter he was out there. Regardless I wouldn’t throw him out there against Clemson at this point. Let him watch and heal up and maybe split time in the next game.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We're still very weak in the trenches both sides IMO, until we get a whole lot better there we will not get a championship type QB, maybe next year we are better both sides of trenches towards end of year I'm guessing. Hope I'm wrong and it's this year later in the season.
Agree trenches are not as strong as I had hoped. Glad to see AC Clayton play after not playing VS NIU. This is the week Keon White, the transfer from ODU is supposed to be able to go (recovering from broken leg/non-football related I believe). IF we can stay healthy I think the DL has a chance to make a major development stride this year. A lot of kids missed time with injuries last year and we are still young on the DL as a whole. And it seems we are just now starting to get 4-star DT talent coming. IMO the relationships needed to pull that kind of player away from the factories takes time to build.

Offensively I expected pass pro to be much better than it has been from the get go. I think what's going on is multifactoral. First, we have a bunch that haven't played together yet. Second, we are still thin depth-wise on the OL (less competition), and the DL they practice against doesn't have a bunch of stud pass rushers (yet). We also have a bunch of young guys and a few transfers, and not a lot in between. We do have some promising young OL.

Really we just have to work to get better in the trenches on both sides, recruit like crazy, and develop to give our QB a more prosperous environment this year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
As far as Yates and Sims go, I say let them compete in practice and start whoever you think gives you the best chance. Let them know if they falter you may bring the other guy in for a series or two so they can regroup, but if the other guy starts lighting it up you will ride the hot hand.

So if Sims is a practice warrior and Yates is a gamer you still end up rolling with Yates. You could actually have some run packages with Sims as well with the rare surprise pass if Sims accuracy woes continue.

Kind of a good problem to have.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Yates has killer Instinct. I don't know what took so long for the staff to let him play, I assume it was because their jobs were on the line. But I am glad they did. Sims is a great talent no doubt, just not ready yet. Give him a few games on the side to watch and learn and he may become dangerous for us again.