Gibbs has announced his commitment to bama

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The 404 **** is going to bite us in the *** if Ga State ends up with an American invite due to realignmnet and the American wanting an atlanta team for recruiting.
Probably not. There's a clear difference between Georgia State football and Georgia Tech football, even if we're down. In my opinion, no comparison, and there never will be.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The 404 **** is going to bite us in the *** if Ga State ends up with an American invite due to realignmnet and the American wanting an atlanta team for recruiting.

I said years ago that GA State would eventually be a GT problem. A lot of GT fans dismissed them since we have this uppity issue among our fanbase, then they got invited into an FBS conference. Still not at our level....yet.

However, they are ripe for a conference like the Big 12, which is a P5 conference. They would form a natural rivalry with UCF which just joined the Big 12. Given the loss of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, Big 12 is going after "secondary" schools in large TV markets makes a LOT of sense. Everything changes for GA State if the Big 12 comes after them. They can now market themselves as a P5 program, with access to the college football playoffs. Their budget goes up...AND they don't have to wrestle with the academic issues that GT does when they recruit.

GA State has been the beneficiary of timing, if not actual on the football field results. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...and GA State has been at the right place at the right time since they started their program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I said years ago that GA State would eventually be a GT problem. A lot of GT fans dismissed them since we have this uppity issue among our fanbase, then they got invited into an FBS conference. Still not at our level....yet.

However, they are ripe for a conference like the Big 12, which is a P5 conference. They would form a natural rivalry with UCF which just joined the Big 12. Given the loss of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC, Big 12 is going after "secondary" schools in large TV markets makes a LOT of sense. Everything changes for GA State if the Big 12 comes after them. They can now market themselves as a P5 program, with access to the college football playoffs. Their budget goes up...AND they don't have to wrestle with the academic issues that GT does when they recruit.

GA State has been the beneficiary of timing, if not actual on the football field results. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...and GA State has been at the right place at the right time since they started their program.
With those teams, the Big 12 will no longer be a P5 conference.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

They made a good hire when they hired Elliott. They really did everything wrong but somehow lucked into a lot before they hired him. If he strigns together a few 8 win seasons and a sunbelt title. I expect they will get there call. Especialy if Helton truns aroudn Southern and app state stays up I could see a confernece wanting all three of them to expand to 16.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not true. The number 1 player in the country is from Gwinnett and just signed with Jackson State FCS.
Sorry I should of said the majority. But I’m pretty sure that most of or all The top 10 to top 20 Georgia High School recruits prefer to play for uga or another top program the last 40 plus years except for Calvin and Gibbs. And that’s a problem that GT has to fix if they ever want to be able to compete with the big boys.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I should of said the majority. But I’m pretty sure that most of or all The top 10 to top 20 Georgia High School recruits prefer to play for uga or another top program the last 40 plus years except for Calvin and Gibbs. And that’s a problem that GT has to fix if they ever want to be able to compete with the big boys.
I think you would be surprised by how ineffective UGA has been historically in keeping the top kids home. They have done well but have certainly not owned the state in recruiting. Kirby is improving on that the last few classes however.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who's taking the P5 designation away from them? Big 12 will still have New Years Day bowl tie ins, and they'll still have a big media contract. Those are not going away.
ESPN will cause them problems because it would appear they were involved in OU and UT move to sec.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see if Gibbs cracks a 1000 yards rushing within their offense. We already know how good he can be receiving out of the backfield.

JacketFan137

Banned
Will be interesting to see if Gibbs cracks a 1000 yards rushing within their offense. We already know how good he can be receiving out of the backfield.
it’s only gonna come down to the amount of touches he gets. he’s clearly the RB1 on the depth chart so it just depends on whether or not they give him the bulk of the carries or go full committee

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
it’s only gonna come down to the amount of touches he gets. he’s clearly the RB1 on the depth chart so it just depends on whether or not they give him the bulk of the carries or go full committee
Clearly? Trey Sanders (perhaps same HS class as Gibbs) has got a pretty substantial bio, if not superior to, Gibbs’ bio.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Clearly? Trey Sanders (perhaps same HS class as Gibbs) has got a pretty substantial bio, if not superior to, Gibbs’ bio.
Sanders also had two substantial injuries in his first two years. He didn't get much playing time this year until others got hurt and he didn't really shine when he got that chance. Its hard to say if he will ever be mentally and physically ready to contribute at a high level.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thanks for that info. Never kept up with bama’s individuals but Sanders seemed to be quite the HS player from his bio.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Would be great to have at least one game a week that is scheduled among the ACC and other two conferences that is a good cross sectional matchup for TV.