Film Room Getting through the summer - Spring Game Slow Motion Play by Play #1

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a botched read, to me. Looks like lee was trying to get to the 2nd level and Freeman squeezed down super hard, which to me means that should be a pull.

VT likes to squeeze their ends down like this, both to lock up the tackle and prevent him from cutting down the LB's and to confuse the dive read.

Cooper also airballed his block on the MLB, so even if the right read had been made, this play was likely going nowhere.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On Defense, we had 8 men in the box. It looks like we had AJ Gray move up on the level with the 3 LBs (Lewis, Mitchell, and Alexander) of our 4-3 personnel. I think someone said that we ran our base 4-2-5, but this looks like we weren't running base 4-3 or nickel.

I agree with @ilovetheoption that the play appears to be an inside veer with a bad give read.

Green got after Victor pretty good. Brant played off the Cooper's block pretty well. Terrell Lewis made the big play by staying home. Mills did a pretty amazing job of resetting the play, and it looked like he might bounce it outside. However, Lewis took away that path.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look at what the left A-Back does... normally that means a called dive. I think Freeman and AJ are the reads. Freeman pinches Lee and holds back a little... this can be a give call at times. If Mills goes outside of Freeman and AJ over-runs to the outside... this could have made better yards.

There is a similar play latter and Freeman's arms are not strong enough to stop Mills.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Look at what the left A-Back does... normally that means a called dive. I think Freeman and AJ are the reads. Freeman pinches Lee and holds back a little... this can be a give call at times. If Mills goes outside of Freeman and AJ over-runs to the outside... this could have made better yards.

There is a similar play latter and Freeman's arms are not strong enough to stop Mills.
Huh! So the read there is "give, and bback hits it hard as hell outside"? That surprises me.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A classic misread (unless it was a flat-out called bback dive), if the ball went outside there was minimum of 5 yds. And like Flea said, the DEF has seen that play before a few times--hmmm. Another big reason the DEF looked ok in the game.