Getting Specific about Improvement

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There has been a lot of chat elsewhere about the players that CGC inherited, has recruited, has lost to the portal, etc.

This thread isn't about whether the lineman are undersized or the QB is missing open receivers. In this thread, I want to ask what HAS to happen at a higher level to ensure that the team is ready to go to the best of its ability on game-day when the whistle blows.

So what is/are the problems that must be addressed/changed? Here are some things that come to mind:

1. The team is too loosey-goosey in practice, so they aren't focused enough when it counts.
2. The players simply don't know what their assignments are.
3. The schemes/assignments drawn up by the coaches aren't good enough.
4. The coaches aren't able to make real-time adjustments to what the other team is doing.

Leaving the players themselves out of the equation, WTH is going wrong?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I would guess it comes down to lack of preparation and lack of in-game adjustments, so both have to be better.

At times, the players looked like they weren't real sure of their assignments, and we paid for it. Or, the other team would do something like throw wide to a WR screen 8 plays in a row and gain 8-10 yards every single time, and we'd still only have one guy out there to cover 2.

I think we have players. It's on the coaches to get them ready and adjust as necessary.

Or, on offense, after having some success at the edge, we'd run right up the middle 3 plays in a row for nothing.

Coaches need a better feel for what's happening, and how to respond.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would guess it comes down to lack of preparation and lack of in-game adjustments, so both have to be better.

At times, the players looked like they weren't real sure of their assignments, and we paid for it. Or, the other team would do something like throw wide to a WR screen 8 plays in a row and gain 8-10 yards every single time, and we'd still only have one guy out there to cover 2.

I think we have players. It's on the coaches to get them ready and adjust as necessary.

Or, on offense, after having some success at the edge, we'd run right up the middle 3 plays in a row for nothing.

Coaches need a better feel for what's happening, and how to respond.
You're funny. Reaching back prior to CGC to discuss wide receiver screen 8 plays in a row. I was at the game in Miami and still curse it. But different players/coachs.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think the main thing that can get us quick results would be improved in-game adjustments. We played 7-8 bad teams this year but were unable to make any positive adjustments all year long. If we make positive changes in 5-6 of the games we played this year they could easily be wins.

bishopbee

Jolly Good Fellow
In game adjustments -
"The eye in the sky don't lie"
Our team observers/coaches in the booth either didn't know what they were looking at or couldn't communicate it to the coaches on the field
It was like our opponents were watching the game live while we were listening to it on radio with a one play delay

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I hope our players are going through S&C now. That's where it starts. I hope our S&C personnel are up to the task at hand. We need to be much more physical next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would spot something different that I've mentioned before.

This year the Braves won the World Series and won at a 67% pace after the all star break. Why? The players were very specific about it: analysis. By that they meant that the team had sold out on using numbers instead of intuition to make decisions on players and on how to play the game. The difference after the break are indicative; the Braves started swinging for the fence in every game because it was obvious they had players who could hit a lot of home runs. And they won.

I'm not sure what or how Tech its using what numbers it can generate about our football performance. This may not be the staff's fault entirely; football is way, way behind baseball on this. But I'm pretty sure we aren't doing anywhere near enough analysis of what we can or can't do efficiently to win games. The lack of variety on offense that complained of above is, I think, indicative of this.

Problem = I don't know the solution to this particular difficulty. I think we need to start looking into it, however.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

This year the Braves won the World Series and won at a 67% pace after the all star break. Why? The players were very specific about it: analysis. By that they meant that the team had sold out on using numbers instead of intuition to make decisions on players and on how to play the game. The difference after the break are indicative; the Braves started swinging for the fence in every game because it was obvious they had players who could hit a lot of home runs. And they won.

I'm not sure what or how Tech its using what numbers it can generate about our football performance. This may not be the staff's fault entirely; football is way, way behind baseball on this. But I'm pretty sure we aren't doing anywhere near enough analysis of what we can or can't do efficiently to win games. The lack of variety on offense that complained of above is, I think, indicative of this.

Problem = I don't know the solution to this particular difficulty. I think we need to start looking into it, however.
Cmon. Our Catapault numbers were elite !!!

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

if they team up with someone like amazon some of the engines they have developed would provide immediate results. It is amazing what AI and Machine learning engines can do now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All that matters is performing in games and winning them. I hope the next time we hear from the head coach is in the Clemson post game press conference. Nothing else he has to say means a thing. It’s year 4 and all the words have been spoken. There are only two outcomes left and neither involve words - 1) win some games and keep the coach or 2) not win games and get a new coach.

Jmonty71

Banned
There has been a lot of chat elsewhere about the players that CGC inherited, has recruited, has lost to the portal, etc.

This thread isn't about whether the lineman are undersized or the QB is missing open receivers. In this thread, I want to ask what HAS to happen at a higher level to ensure that the team is ready to go to the best of its ability on game-day when the whistle blows.

So what is/are the problems that must be addressed/changed? Here are some things that come to mind:

1. The team is too loosey-goosey in practice, so they aren't focused enough when it counts.
2. The players simply don't know what their assignments are.
3. The schemes/assignments drawn up by the coaches aren't good enough.
4. The coaches aren't able to make real-time adjustments to what the other team is doing.

Leaving the players themselves out of the equation, WTH is going wrong?
To be fair that is a really wide topic. I would list my areas, as below
1. O line. Regardless of the size. We need to implement better blocking schemes. I would like to see us pull guards and allow better run lanes.
2. QB. I think we can narrow down the passing game issues, to two things. Pass progression and lack of time to pass. Our QBs need to get the time to step and throw. Once they get that time, need to learn how to progress down to check down plays.
3. Defense needs a lot of help. We can't get pressure, we can't stop the pass and we fail to get teams off the field. I would start with installing some stunts on the D line. Communication within the D has to get better.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think what Ross did, back in the day , might be effective. He literally had the offense , defense, and special teams scout each other. That would mean an honest assessment of what each player's strengths and weaknesses are in game like conditions ( live, pads on, scrimmage ). Then share what's learned.
For instance: a certain DT tends to get too tall and can be drive blocked; a WR tips off his pass routes; a RB has poor pass blocking; . a QB locks on to their intended receiver- or a DL will need to be double teamed on a pass rush; A WR has good separation skills and a safety may need to be aware.
With all the past positive hype talk, players may need a reality check, learn they need better skills, and work on them.

JacketFan137

Banned
To be fair that is a really wide topic. I would list my areas, as below
1. O line. Regardless of the size. We need to implement better blocking schemes. I would like to see us pull guards and allow better run lanes.
2. QB. I think we can narrow down the passing game issues, to two things. Pass progression and lack of time to pass. Our QBs need to get the time to step and throw. Once they get that time, need to learn how to progress down to check down plays.
3. Defense needs a lot of help. We can't get pressure, we can't stop the pass and we fail to get teams off the field. I would start with installing some stunts on the D line. Communication within the D has to get better.
i feel like the second point was a bit of a two way street. young qb’s especially get happy feet and make bad decisions when they’re being pressured relentlessly. for us to even have time to get to progressions we have to get some kind of consistent protection

JacketFan137

Banned
defense has a lot of issues to the point where it needs a borderline overhaul. against some teams we generated next to zero pressure and we also had a lot of coverage breakdowns consistently happening. guys weren’t just open they’d be the only one on that side of the field.

that seems like a communication issue and some sort of playcalling language problem to me. should be fixable but we will see

offense to me is like 99% point of attack. too many early down runs getting stuffed forcing us into 2nd-12. analytics wise your first down odds absolutely tank when you get behind the sticks. to piggy back on this: STOP WITH THE PRE SNAP PENALTIES. we had way too many AFTER timeouts, way too many on crucial drives, and that really hurts and forces you to predictable play calling. we need to see more 2nd-5 and less 1st-15. we also have to win the short yardage plays more. i like being aggressive and going for it, but running mason into a mob of defenders that got penetration just never worked

i also think patenaude called plays off a waffle house menu. too many times WRs ran to the same spot. too many rollouts to the short side of the field. some of this was because with sims out we were extremely limited with what we could do on offense but still yates could have done more

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Fundamentals need to improve drastically and we'd be a much more competent team overall.

Offensively, it starts with the O-line. Better leverage, quick first steps and protection pickups when the defense throws something at them like stunts. We seem to continue to have trouble knowing our assignments on the O-line when it comes to stunts, rolling gaps by the D-line and delayed blitzes. We also need more athletic linemen. We've gotten more size, but theathleticism is still not where it needs to be as far as getting out in space and creating lanes nor getting to the second level of the defense from the point of attack. We are also still lacking truly elite perimeter weapons. We had/have a good stable of backs but the O-line issues mitigate their explosiveness nearly every game.

Defensively: oh boy, where do I begin.....We need bigger, better bodies on the D-line and depth....much better depth. We get pushed around and swallowed up at the point of attack as we are undersized and frankly, not very athletic. 0Our LBs have been very poor in coverage and their run fit assignments/gap integrity. We need our version of a Nakobe Dean for Ugag. A sideline to sideline guy who can make plays, drop in coverage and rush the. A guy who is a 3 down type of player. Our secondary is a nightmare. I could write a 5 page diatribe on their issues, so I'll simply say, we need better players and at least 1 lock down DB & leave it at that.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
i feel like the second point was a bit of a two way street. young qb’s especially get happy feet and make bad decisions when they’re being pressured relentlessly. for us to even have time to get to progressions we have to get some kind of consistent protection
This is why the protection issues absolutely must get fixed. Consistent pressure leads to the qb not trusting the oline which leads to bad fundamentals. Even on plays where the oline does an ok job, the qb is still not trusting that he will have the time to make the proper reads. It will not matter who we have at qb if we cannot pass block better.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Something Specific that drives me crazy in the defensive backfield is not turning and finding the ball. When your receiver turns to look, what is happening? Get your head turned. Less likely pass interference will be called. Especially in zone coverage. Refs do not call having a hand on a receiver, so stay in contact as you turn to look for the ball. Get an underthrow and you can make the interception or the breakup because you see the ball. Trying to knock the ball out of a good receivers hand after he has made the catch is nigh impossible.

The second thing is not wrapping up. So often I see a defensive player throw at someone's legs and miss the tackle. Grab something. Hair, belt or balls. Grab something and don't let go.

Finally, if you have to simplify coverages, do so. The defensive backfield was lost the last half of the season. This must be fixed by our new DB coach. Another point. One game our "best" corner was man on man and the receiver flat ran past him on a deep ball and he was 5 yards behind him when he caught the ball. Not coverage bust. Just flat footed. Or perhaps playing with an injury, but another jv versus varsity looking play. Flat footed on defense gets you beat.

The defense needs to play like a team. If CGC is indeed the new DC, he needs to prove his claim on being elite, and put an "elitely" coached "team" on the field.

The defense can turn the ship around with improved play. Like some said in another post, marginal improvements on both offense and defense can lead to more wins.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lacking a pass rush and lacking a lock down defensive back does not let the coaches off the hook for misunderstandings in our coverage last year which were numerous. I hope Coach Collins as defensive coordinator will make sure communication is tightened up such that if we get beat it's physical not miscommunication.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think the main thing that can get us quick results would be improved in-game adjustments. We played 7-8 bad teams this year but were unable to make any positive adjustments all year long. If we make positive changes in 5-6 of the games we played this year they could easily be wins.
Actually the UNcheat game may be as one of the largest (positive) outliers in Tech history. How we changed our DEf effectively was amazing.Maybe just as amazing was how it made no difference for the rest of season. hmmm