Georgia Tech to open 2019 season vs. The Citadel

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Boo. Tired-a these cupcake openers. Hope we're in the mix for one of these 'preseason' showcase games by then.

Oh and no need to speculate on that '19 2-Lane game. If we canceled the '18 home date with them, ain't no way in the world we're traveling to NO in '19.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Boo. Tired-a these cupcake openers. Hope we're in the mix for one of these 'preseason' showcase games by then.

Oh and no need to speculate on that '19 2-Lane game. If we canceled the '18 home date with them, ain't no way in the world we're traveling to NO in '19.

Tulane canceled our 2018 game so they could go to Ohio State instead.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Apparently Tech will host The Citadel to start the 2019 season:

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/08/georgia-tech-open-2019-season-the-citadel/

Not that plenty can't happen between now and then, but it could be interesting -- and a quick game. The Citadel became a FCS-level rushing powerhouse last year with its Tech-ish option-oriented offense. Citadel new HC Brent Thompson (OC there the past two years) loves the option and ground game, even has his team run option out of the old T formation sometimes, and with him coaching the offense both The Citadel and, before that at his previous stop, Div. 2 Lenoir-Rhyne, piled up yards and points.

If Thompson is still HC at The Citadel come 2019 -- those Bulldogs won't be an Alcorn State-ish FCS cupcake. Sure, even an average Tech squad should win by a comfortable margin, but it might be interesting for a while to see an opponent operating an option-oriented offense coached by someone who isn't from the CPJ coaching tree.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Only 1 attractive OOC game, and not every ACC game is attractive.

For me, no way I could care any less what O the Citadel runs.

Still no leadership or brains at GT. 1 in 6 millionaires - 1 in 3 idiots.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Could be a nice treat for the Swilling boys, who'd be juniors in 2019, to get a chance to play in their home town. It never really hurts to get games in a recruiting hotbed, we might just reschedule our home game for after.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
GT - Auburn needs happen once every 4 years.

Wouldn't mind having a GT/Big 10 matchup either. Northwestern/Wisconsin/Michigan/Purdue (MBob special!) would be good games.

Agreed...it almost seems like we're avoiding playing the good teams that could gain us some respect nationally. It could only help our recruiting efforts, kids want to play in big games, period. And I don't consider The Citadel a "big game".

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Mercer -- next week's opponent -- hosts The Citadel tonight at 7 p.m., and it's good for Mercer because El Cid runs an offense similar to Tech. However, Citadel's starting QB Dominique Allen has been suspended for this game, so the combo of that, and Mercer having 20 returning starters on offense and defense, means an upset by Mercer isn't out of the question. Mercer nearly upset a solid Citadel team last year, one which made it to the FCS quarterfinals.

Tonight's game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southeast, so if you want a look at next week's Tech opponent, here's your chance.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agreed...it almost seems like we're avoiding playing the good teams that could gain us some respect nationally. It could only help our recruiting efforts, kids want to play in big games, period. And I don't consider The Citadel a "big game".
Last year Bammer had MTSU, Louisiana Monroe & Charleston Southern. Now I know they broke from their NFL schedule to play those games, but you don't exactly have to have style points to end up in the championship game. You just need to win your damn games. I'm in favor of winning the games we have scheduled first & plotting out strategies to garner national support for poll balloting so we can even be eligible to compete in the playoffs sometime in late Nov or early December. Maybe I'm mistaken but it has been a very long time since GT's record would even permit consideration yet we gnash our teeth every year about if we don't have some sort of pre-ordained strength of schedule somehow we're going to end up 13-0 & standing on the corner without a date. Heck, how can you even predict the strength of your team or the teams you're required to play before the season starts with any type of accuracy much less 3 years in advance?

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year Bammer had MTSU, Louisiana Monroe & Charleston Southern. Now I know they broke from their NFL schedule to play those games, but you don't exactly have to have style points to end up in the championship game. You just need to win your damn games. I'm in favor of winning the games we have scheduled first & plotting out strategies to garner national support for poll balloting so we can even be eligible to compete in the playoffs sometime in late Nov or early December. Maybe I'm mistaken but it has been a very long time since GT's record would even permit consideration yet we gnash our teeth every year about if we don't have some sort of pre-ordained strength of schedule somehow we're going to end up 13-0 & standing on the corner without a date. Heck, how can you even predict the strength of your team or the teams you're required to play before the season starts with any type of accuracy much less 3 years in advance?

My sentiments exactly! I've watched these threads talk about scheduling tougher opponents and I just don't get it; I don't buy the theory of "good losses." If you finish with only 0, 1, or even 2 losses, then you're in the discussion. Let's do that before we schedule someone we might actually lose to.

BTW, the two best teams in the country last year were Bama & Clemson.
Bama's schedule this year includes Western KY, Kent State, and UT Chattanooga
Clemson? Troy and SC State
GT? Mercer is the only "gimme" and *maybe* Ga Southern

Let's win the conference and let others talk about our "strength of schedule"