Georgia Tech Spring Game Thread

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it me, or does Dennis Andrews look like his short space quickness and burst has improved? Almost didn't recognize who it was on his TD run.
I agree he did have a good burst and I think lynch looked good as well, personally I believe our a backs are better runners with the ball in their hands and will make more guys miss compared to the guys from last year.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I was more impressed with Allen than I expected to be. From what I saw, he has all the B back tools. And that after only seven practices.

Both lines look bigger and thicker than in years past.

Jabari is a freak. He put on 60 pounds yet still looks like a linebacker and moves like a linebacker. He doesn't play low enough for an interior guy, but he more than makes up for it with his first step quickness. He will be a nightmare for offensive linemen this year. They will get no practice trying to block someone like him, 'cause there aren't any. It will be fun to see how many times he ends up in the backfield and blows things up. I'm guessing he will get more sacks than you expect from a DT too.

Terrel Lewis will be a starter some time in his career.

We have reloaded at A back. Willis, Searcy, and Lynch will supplement our returning two just fine.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Jordan will ever be an effective option quarterback. I don't think he is quick enough, and I'm not sure a thousand reps will fix that.

let MJ run with the 1's and then give him a fair observation.
Its not fair to stick him with the 2's, 3's and 4's and say he is not effective.

No QB can be effective with no blocking.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
let MJ run with the 1's and then give him a fair observation.
Its not fair to stick him with the 2's, 3's and 4's and say he is not effective.

No QB can be effective with no blocking.

Man, he did not look good compared to the last time we saw him in action. Let's remember, he was stuck with the backups, but he was also playing against backups. Though to be fair, our backup DLs are VERY good compared to our backup OLs due to all the injury this spring.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Man, he did not look good compared to the last time we saw him in action. Let's remember, he was stuck with the backups, but he was also playing against backups. Though to be fair, our backup DLs are VERY good compared to our backup OLs due to all the injury this spring.
Martensen played the final minutes of the fourth Q with the 1's and looked totally different (much better) with decent blocking. I believe Jordan would have looked much better with some blocking also. Time will tell. Lets hope we get the 2's blocking fixed! To me that is more worrisome than Jordan's struggles behind those 2's. We will need those 2's OL before we need Jordan.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Martensen played the final minutes of the fourth Q with the 1's and looked totally different (much better) with decent blocking. I believe Jordan would have looked much better with some blocking also. Time will tell. Lets hope we get the 2's blocking fixed! To me that is more worrisome than Jordan's struggles behind those 2's. We will need those 2's OL before we need Jordan.

Some of the OLs playing with the 1's are actually 2's...so that proves your point. The OL will be fine at the 1's and 2's once we get everyone back.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And a lot of the "2s" were actually 3rd string or walk ons. Really hard to judge anyone behind that line.

Agree. I think what you can clearly see from the Spring Game performance that the one year D players and ABs can compete a lot better than the OL and QB players. Andrews and maybe Klock are exceptions. It seems all of the D players and ABs are on a schedule to compete for a second string role. Not sure about the WRs but they seem to be clearly ahead of the OLs.
Conclusion seems to be that in general it just takes longer to develop competitive OL players for this offense. At first I was disappointed but now I believe I can accept the reality and maybe muster the patience. CPJ had said in post practice interviews that the RS freshmen OL "couldn't get in the way" or "they don't know where to go". I should have believed him.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
what I took from the spring game is:

-the offense is going to be fine if we stay healthy
-the DL is deeper and more talented with the addition of Whitehead, JHD, et al.
-the secondary will be a strength again this year

I knew all of these things before the spring game, but it was fun anyways.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am excited to see the development of our guys and am certainly feeling good watching JeT run - but I wonder how much of his speed this weekend was the guys holding off trying to make sure they didn't hit him?

Not throwing stones - just trying to keep a healthy dose of realism.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am excited to see the development of our guys and am certainly feeling good watching JeT run - but I wonder how much of his speed this weekend was the guys holding off trying to make sure they didn't hit him?

Always wonder why the coaches don't put a flag on the QB like in flag football, or give them a tear-away jersey that kills the play once they pull it off. Give the defenders a chance to really pursue full speed, at the same time, also protects the QB.

Milwaukee

Banned

???

I guess watch the Miss St game again. And the UGA game, and the VT game, and the Clemson game, and the FSU game, etc.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
???

I guess watch the Miss St game again. And the UGA game, and the VT game, and the Clemson game, and the FSU game, etc.
yeah no question he is fast as heck, just saying I was curious what effect (if any) it has had on the perceived speed of our defenders from the Spring Game.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Just watching the game now. I really like what I'm seeing from Marcus Allen on his two long runs. The number one offense as a whole looked great. So many notable names on D. Days looked like a boulder out there... Huge and all muscle. There was one play where he knocked three players down then got up mad that the BB gained a couple of yards...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just echoing what some have said about Lewis...looked really impressive in terms of closing speed and ability to cover a large area. Once he was locked in, it was like a cheetah hunting its prey. The guy moves like a DB in a LB body.
I dunno, did you do the math?

cheetah-header.jpg