Georgia Tech ranked 25th in way-too-early Top 25 for 2024 season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure if it's the culture of the school, the beat down of the past few years, or the overall angst of being a GT fan.

However, this thread shows what a mopey bunch us GT fans are. Can't take good news and say "Great!", instead we find all the reasons to be gloomy.

Should we change our mascot to Charlie Brown?

I know the football prognosticators are unlikely to take patterns of mid to late season swoons into consideration when making preseason polls. See the U and UNC as examples. Do the baseball writers do the same? I.E, is the Tech program always ranked higher earlier than postseason data would otherwise suggest?

For GT, the late season swoon is patented by baseball. But for Miami and UNC, it's football. Their baseball teams generally do well.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Top 25 will be the usual suspects. Miami and UNC will be in there along with Clemson and FSU. Ugag, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, ND, LSU, USC, Oregon, Washington, and Ol Miss will be the top 13.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree about the 2024 schedule, but I would take it one step more. To me, the schedule next year without Ole Miss and Clemson on the road has a higher ceiling. FSU and UNC will be much, much weaker. On the other hand NC State (at home) and Va Tech (on the road) will be challenging. We will have to see about ND (at MB) , but that game will be much more winnable than playing in Oxford, Miss.
Why are we having to play 2 straight at VT? Last game was in’22 at VT

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Miami seems to lose their bowl game every single year. UNC doesn't play defense really at all.
Yup, they are not the top 13 that were listed. They will get top 25 based on talent/potential. One of these years they will live up to their potential. Coach Collins, is he the answer for UNC's defense. We will see!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Why are we having to play 2 straight at VT? Last game was in’22 at VT
Schedule rotation got completely flipped with the erasure of divisions and additions of SMU, Cal, and Stanford. The future opponents/locations for the next several seasons got released a few months ago. We get Duke twice in a row at home if you’re keeping that score.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
Auburn was a 7pt game, and ugag needed a TD with 2:52 to go to take the lead. But yes other than those two, we were the only other one score game.
We put up more offensive yards than Bama and we scored the most points against them until they played Alabama.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s nice to be liked, but any ranking prior to about 10/1 is pretty much a guess. Of course, it makes compelling matchups that bring in $$$, so up with the rankings!!!
Unfortunately it also artificially contributes to “strength of schedule” and “good losses” for various teams. And the main problem is that it is harder to climb up from a low ranking than it is to drop out from a high ranking.