Georgia Tech ranked 25th in way-too-early Top 25 for 2024 season

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nice to see BUT- (1) getting more LB and DL help is critical (2) not having key injuries nobody seems to mention but I think we were VERY lucky this yr. er-King, Haynes, Franklin, Douse, Efford , etc

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You would be surprised how much good coaching can move the needle on performance. Get the right coaches and some more decent transfers and we can be a top 50 defense next year.
I hope you are correct. I have very serious doubts any defense can improve that much. So far we really haven’t seemed to add impact defenders in numbers. Post Spring Portal needs to be really good for GT football.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well…of course it’s bunk. A more objective preseason ranking for GT would be around 15. Clearly we suffer from the ACC phenomenon. 😊

In baseball, we should be ranked 15th based on Fr class and transfers. But of course that is very unlikely to happen. Preseason rankings exist to make people look foolish while attracting attention.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope you are correct. I have very serious doubts any defense can improve that much. So far we really haven’t seemed to add impact defenders in numbers. Post Spring Portal needs to be really good for GT football.
So that is the hope...new DC brings some players...can it happen., yes. Will it happen...meh

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Bowling Green went 112th in DFEI in 20022 to 50th in 2023. It can be done

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure if it's the culture of the school, the beat down of the past few years, or the overall angst of being a GT fan.

However, this thread shows what a mopey bunch us GT fans are. Can't take good news and say "Great!", instead we find all the reasons to be gloomy.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure if it's the culture of the school, the beat down of the past few years, or the overall angst of being a GT fan.

However, this thread shows what a mopey bunch us GT fans are. Can't take good news and say "Great!", instead we find all the reasons to be gloomy.
Did you see the BB attendance chart someone attached. It reflects GT accurately. GT grads are the majority of GT fans. GT grads are a grumpy group on the whole.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Wait just a minute here… are we still supposed to hate preseason rankings? They are still just bunk, right? Popularity contest to sell magazines?
Do they still sell magazines?
Mind is racing right now….
If it helps with recruiting and the portal, I'm all for this kind of press.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see our schedule as any more difficult in 2024 as it was in 2023. We are replacing Clemson with FSU and Ole Miss with Notre Dame. Every other team on our schedule is very beatable and probably worse next season than this season.

Our offense return almost 100% of the production. The only real piece that will need to be filled is Donte Smith. Would not be surprised to see us beat FSU to open the season. It will be interesting to see how that program responds to being left out of the playoff and then an absolute destruction in their bowl game. Not to say the ACC would do it, but perhaps FSU may piss off enough people that refs start missing some calls.

Notre Dame will be breaking in a new QB so you never know how that is going to play out.

The only team I see on the 2024 schedule that is objectively better than Us (assuming we have a top 50 D) is unfortunately UGA.
I agree about the 2024 schedule, but I would take it one step more. To me, the schedule next year without Ole Miss and Clemson on the road has a higher ceiling. FSU and UNC will be much, much weaker. On the other hand NC State (at home) and Va Tech (on the road) will be challenging. We will have to see about ND (at MB) , but that game will be much more winnable than playing in Oxford, Miss.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wait just a minute here… are we still supposed to hate preseason rankings? They are still just bunk, right? Popularity contest to sell magazines?
Do they still sell magazines?
Mind is racing right now….
They are definitely pointless and stupid. Especially at this point when we don’t even know who will even be on what team for next year. But if they’re going to continue to pump them out, might as well embrace any bit of good publicity we can get.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In baseball, we should be ranked 15th based on Fr class and transfers. But of course that is very unlikely to happen. Preseason rankings exist to make people look foolish while attracting attention.
I know the football prognosticators are unlikely to take patterns of mid to late season swoons into consideration when making preseason polls. See the U and UNC as examples. Do the baseball writers do the same? I.E, is the Tech program always ranked higher earlier than postseason data would otherwise suggest?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We will have our first AP poll ranking since the start of 2015(!) if we can beat Free Shoes next season.
Maybe not. They may just say I told you so (about F$U) and rank Arkansas in that place, who will have beaten SE Missouri St that week as week as well.