Georgia Tech it is special

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I have been down on what has gone on, but that has changed some for me! First though there are things like the hype before really good things happen and the new depth chart! Now for the better insights! First is that one QB is getting the playing time he needs to get himself focused and his growth on the field in all kinds of happenstance. Then their are a lot of young guys getting themselves a lot of reps, and I know at times that doesn't help NOW, but think of all this playing time they are given now! Then there is ONE YOUNG MAN who is a walk on fr(or so) and he is starting because of injuries at the pos he plays, but he is doing a VERY fine job!! And was not supposed to get ANY time on the field! And he has very good size! And his name is LAY. There are other young ones making some very good plays also! NOW FOR SOMETHING WHICH COULD MAKE US GOOD MAYBE IN 2 YEARS OR EVEN NEXT YEAR!! That is SIGN JAYSON JONES, STACKHOUSE, AND Gibbs! Even just 2 of those guys!

So most of you are asleep as I write this but I have been doing some thinking this Sunday evening. Maybe it is because my son was home from college this weekend and has gone back and I miss him that I am writing this. For those that read about me I have been going to Tech games for 50 years. My family has had tickets since 1931. Georgia Tech is as much a part of me as anything in my life. And I am a UGA grad 1984. I have had season ticket since 1994 and with tickets and donations pay about $2500 per year. I own and have more Tech stuff than probably any one including the Football that won the 1991 Aloha bowl, an autographed copy of Bobby Dodd's book, a signed Coleman Rudolph jersey etc.

I have gone with Tech through ups and downs. The Renso Rock Perdoni years to the CPJ 2014 Orange bowl. In 1987 I wondered if Tech football was done, much like in 1980. But we found a way out and had some great times. For some you think Tech can be like UGA and recruiting will fix it. For me, what amazes me about Tech is we are more like Navy and our good coaches can scheme a way and our players can rise up. 1980 Notre Dame game. It is what makes Tech special.

Having Tech football in the fall has always been a part of my life. Going to the games after mine in the 1970's. Eating at the Varsity. And now tailgating with my crew when I come in town.

Does this year hurt....yep. Yesterday my son and I, he is a big Tech fan, were watching the game and I was joking that we had no chance, joking about the money down and the dancers. He said Dad what is wrong with you? I said I am not sure we are going to win any games for a while. And today I realized part of what drives me in the fall was gone. Yep, I think CPJ was a great coach and took Tech to heights we hadn't been since Dodd.

So now I am going to reset my thinking. No I don't think we win another game all season, but I am going to start thinking we are back in 1987. We had a major injury to Jerry Mays which hurt us and we have had a lot of major injuries coming into this season. Maybe if we still had Camp, and the other guys, and Big B clogging up the middle on the D it would be different.

Let's step back and let Graham develop. Let's get some more O Line. Frankly even with CPJ he would be struggling with the loss of players. I will be cheering in front of the TV next weekend, at Grant field for the Pitt game, and there for UGA. One thing about us Tech fans is we know what our challenges are but what makes us proud is that we have kids that graduate and go on.....not like the sess pool over in Athens....To Hell with Georgia.

Let's not be like the Dog fans who at this day think it is time to get rid of Smart because they lost one game. We need to be who we are and who knows, maybe this year we have another.....What a time to be alive game.....

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Mods; please move my post on the post thread REASONS TO BE OPTIMISTIC because I really wanted fans, players, coaches, and recruits to read my post! I have had a somewhat change in my feelings to more positive! I don't think anyone has read it yet, but this post thread might get it some attention!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
So most of you are asleep as I write this but I have been doing some thinking this Sunday evening. Maybe it is because my son was home from college this weekend and has gone back and I miss him that I am writing this. For those that read about me I have been going to Tech games for 50 years. My family has had tickets since 1931. Georgia Tech is as much a part of me as anything in my life. And I am a UGA grad 1984. I have had season ticket since 1994 and with tickets and donations pay about $2500 per year. I own and have more Tech stuff than probably any one including the Football that won the 1991 Aloha bowl, an autographed copy of Bobby Dodd's book, a signed Coleman Rudolph jersey etc.

I have gone with Tech through ups and downs. The Renso Rock Perdoni years to the CPJ 2014 Orange bowl. In 1987 I wondered if Tech football was done, much like in 1980. But we found a way out and had some great times. For some you think Tech can be like UGA and recruiting will fix it. For me, what amazes me about Tech is we are more like Navy and our good coaches can scheme a way and our players can rise up. 1980 Notre Dame game. It is what makes Tech special.

Having Tech football in the fall has always been a part of my life. Going to the games after mine in the 1970's. Eating at the Varsity. And now tailgating with my crew when I come in town.

Does this year hurt....yep. Yesterday my son and I, he is a big Tech fan, were watching the game and I was joking that we had no chance, joking about the money down and the dancers. He said Dad what is wrong with you? I said I am not sure we are going to win any games for a while. And today I realized part of what drives me in the fall was gone. Yep, I think CPJ was a great coach and took Tech to heights we hadn't been since Dodd.

So now I am going to reset my thinking. No I don't think we win another game all season, but I am going to start thinking we are back in 1987. We had a major injury to Jerry Mays which hurt us and we have had a lot of major injuries coming into this season. Maybe if we still had Camp, and the other guys, and Big B clogging up the middle on the D it would be different.

Let's step back and let Graham develop. Let's get some more O Line. Frankly even with CPJ he would be struggling with the loss of players. I will be cheering in front of the TV next weekend, at Grant field for the Pitt game, and there for UGA. One thing about us Tech fans is we know what our challenges are but what makes us proud is that we have kids that graduate and go on.....not like the sess pool over in Athens....To Hell with Georgia.

Let's not be like the Dog fans who at this day think it is time to get rid of Smart because they lost one game. We need to be who we are and who knows, maybe this year we have another.....What a time to be alive game.....

Great post, Colorado. I’m just like you, except I graduated from UGA in 1974.

Mods; please move my post on the post thread REASONS TO BE OPTIMISTIC because I really wanted fans, players, coaches, and recruits to read my post! I have had a somewhat change in my feelings to more positive! I don't think anyone has read it yet, but this post thread might get it some attention!
You know you can either retype it here or copy and paste it from the other thread yourself.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I got to watch the Duke game with my oldest son (33 yo). He grew up a GT fan and we had season tix when we were in ATL. He has a young family, a full time job, is attending school again and runs a business on the side. I don't get to see him as much as I would like so it was fun watching the game with him.

He was an OL in HS and decent enough to get offers from smaller schools (OVC and the like) until he had a career ending injury in the playoffs his senior year. In watching the game, he talked about his career and its relevance to the game we were watching. He said he knew early in the game how the line matchups were going. If he and his teammates were winning their battles on the LOS, the game was fun and easy. On the whole almost everything the coaches dialed up worked. The opposite was true. If they were getting whipped physically, the game was a war and their offense was sporadic. Occasionally, a play would work but nothing was sustainable. Their was nothing the coaches could call or do that would offset the physical differences. It was a mental and physical grind although he and his teammates never gave up that he saw. He never felt like the coaches won or lost the games for them (although he had a lot of respect for the coach who had won a state championship at a previous school).

I share his feelings about the game and the season and it confirmed my feelings about this season. While I am not saying things have been perfect, it is all about what is and is not happening in the trenches.We are losing that battle and schemes cannot overcome this.

And let me add this disclaimer - yes, the Citadel game was an aberration. But, had we won that, nothing much else changes. Just like I don't feel any different about SoCarolina after they caught lightening in a bottle. They are still an average SEC East team although Saturday was probably a great day for all associated with the program.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I'm going to derail threads with Lincoln Riley worship or just outright funniness to take the pain away. Sorry mods ... y'all are awesome. (I'm also very jetlagged in a foreign airport lounge)

Steebu floats in the air, cross-legged, head swaying back and forth. Gasping wildly, he collapses to the ground.

jwsavhGT: "What was that?"
steebu: "I went forward in time... to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming season."
slugboy: "How many did you see?"
steebu: "14,000,605"
CuseJacket: "How many did we win?"

tenor.gif

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think I'm going to derail threads with Lincoln Riley worship or just outright funniness to take the pain away. Sorry mods ... y'all are awesome. (I'm also very jetlagged in a foreign airport lounge)

Steebu floats in the air, cross-legged, head swaying back and forth. Gasping wildly, he collapses to the ground.

jwsavhGT: "What was that?"
steebu: "I went forward in time... to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of the coming season."
slugboy: "How many did you see?"
steebu: "14,000,605"
CuseJacket: "How many did we win?"

tenor.gif
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Animal02

Banned
I got to watch the Duke game with my oldest son (33 yo). He grew up a GT fan and we had season tix when we were in ATL. He has a young family, a full time job, is attending school again and runs a business on the side. I don't get to see him as much as I would like so it was fun watching the game with him.

He was an OL in HS and decent enough to get offers from smaller schools (OVC and the like) until he had a career ending injury in the playoffs his senior year. In watching the game, he talked about his career and its relevance to the game we were watching. He said he knew early in the game how the line matchups were going. If he and his teammates were winning their battles on the LOS, the game was fun and easy. On the whole almost everything the coaches dialed up worked. The opposite was true. If they were getting whipped physically, the game was a war and their offense was sporadic. Occasionally, a play would work but nothing was sustainable. Their was nothing the coaches could call or do that would offset the physical differences. It was a mental and physical grind although he and his teammates never gave up that he saw. He never felt like the coaches won or lost the games for them (although he had a lot of respect for the coach who had won a state championship at a previous school).

I share his feelings about the game and the season and it confirmed my feelings about this season. While I am not saying things have been perfect, it is all about what is and is not happening in the trenches.We are losing that battle and schemes cannot overcome this.

And let me add this disclaimer - yes, the Citadel game was an aberration. But, had we won that, nothing much else changes. Just like I don't feel any different about SoCarolina after they caught lightening in a bottle. They are still an average SEC East team although Saturday was probably a great day for all associated with the program.
Had just the opposite experience playing.....coaches won several games...The one in particular I remember, we were the underdog playing a team that was projected to make a run at the Ohio state title, we managed to keep them out of the endzone 3 times when they were 1st and goal at the 5. Went into the locker room 0-0 at the half. We were down because it seemed like we could not hold them off.....the HC walked in upbeat.....said don't worry, we get the ball to start the half....we will run play A, play B, and Play C will be a touchdown. That is exactly the way it played out, and from that we went on to win.....

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Just adding to the Braves and Falcon woes, this year just needs to end already.

I do have faith that CGC will right the ship. Look at the coaches surrounding this program. LEGENDARY Tech men who love this institute. It will be okay. Keep the 'cruits comin and we will start winning again.

Animal02

Banned
Just adding to the Braves and Falcon woes, this year just needs to end already.

I do have faith that CGC will right the ship. Look at the coaches surrounding this program. LEGENDARY Tech men who love this institute. It will be okay. Keep the 'cruits comin and we will start winning again.
Being legendary Tech men does not make one a good coach. Recruiting is not the be all to end all, if it was FSU would be in the top ten.
That being said, I do hope things get corrected.......just not seeing it

Deleted member 2897

2015 was the year of the injuries, but we were competitive, but could never make a play. Then the FSU game happened. We may lose all the rest of our games. But we could win any of them. I can’t wait to watch the locker room after our next win, when the team mobs CGC and dumps every cooler of Gatorade over his head. Hopefully this weekend in the mini-cesspool.

2015 was the year of the injuries, but we were competitive, but could never make a play. Then the FSU game happened. We may lose all the rest of our games. But we could win any of them. I can’t wait to watch the locker room after our next win, when the team mobs CGC and dumps every cooler of Gatorade over his head. Hopefully this weekend in the mini-cesspool.
I currently have lots of doubts about Collins, but if we beat The U, I will be celebrating along with everyone else and give Collins due credit for it.