Georgia Tech head football coach Paul Johnson on Press Row

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we normally shoot for 17. We made a decision to go after more skill guys and then got bit by Preddy and Brown moving on, iiuc. Add the injuries to that, and it looks rough. That being said, our top 6/7 uninjured are still in line with capable OL of the past, imo.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our numbers match the numbers of Clemson, Miami, and VT. The reason OL is low currently is some unanticipated attrition.

We have more RBs on scholly but less WR and TE so it actually does balance out.

But keep trying to spread that misinformation. One day it may be right.

Funny,when the truth is misinformation. Who really cares to debate if we are short players LIKE ANOTHER team .Whoever wins had "enough".Get back to me at end of yr and lets see who had "enough".

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny,when the truth is misinformation. Who really cares to debate if we are short players LIKE ANOTHER team .Whoever wins had "enough".Get back to me at end of yr and lets see who had "enough".

So should we recruit more running backs since we didn't have enough last year? You can only plan for certain levels of extreme events. I'd say that the level of lineman we've had leave our program is relatively unexpected, as was the number of running back injuries last year.
We're missing Brown, Roberts, Preddy, likely Griffin, maybe forgetting more.

The classes became ubalanced due to some preexisting imbalance creating a small 2013 class and an insane level of attrition on top of that. We've also rehashed the argument so many times I'm not sure there's more to say on the subject. We hit our scholarship numbers maybe less one a year which is about all we can do while sticking to the moral high ground and not forcing kids out, forcing greyshirts, or kicking committed kids out of the recruiting class.

The other thing is we know nothing about the actual quality of any potential recruits that we would talk about adding in a given recruiting year. Maybe there's literally no one we would take who is interested in committing above a walkon level in talent. Should we throw a scholly at them to simply say we have numbers? I think that side of the recruiting argument calls to question the ability of our staff to identify and develop talent along the lines. Based on our level of play w.r.t. to comparable teams (e.g. Duke) I think this is honestly the best bone to pick.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So should we recruit more running backs since we didn't have enough last year? You can only plan for certain levels of extreme events. I'd say that the level of lineman we've had leave our program is relatively unexpected, as was the number of running back injuries last year.

The classes became ubalanced due to some preexisting imbalance creating a small 2013 class and an insane level of attrition on top of that. We've also rehashed the argument so many times I'm not sure there's more to say on the subject. We hit our scholarship numbers maybe less one a year which is about all we can do while sticking to the moral high ground and not forcing kids out, forcing greyshirts, or kicking committed kids out of the recruiting class.

The other thing is we know nothing about the actual quality of any potential recruits that we would talk about adding in a given recruiting year. Maybe there's literally no one we would take who is interested in committing above a walkon level in talent. Should we throw a scholly at them to simply say we have numbers? I think that side of the recruiting argument calls to question the ability of our staff to identify and develop talent along the lines. Based on our level of play w.r.t. to comparable teams (e.g. Duke) I think this is honestly the best bone to pick.

After moving Scott Morgan from DL to OL, we still have iiuc 17 schol DL this year for 4 positions. Yet he complains both that we don't have enough OL and that taking a commit for OL rather than DL occurs because CPJ favors O. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sports reporters who ask open-ended questions seeking information rather than loaded gotcha questions think he's a great interview.

Jay and David are pretty good guys and both good writers. They're more SEC centric but they both have a lot of respect for PJ and his offense and his candor. They're both smart ... for Auburn grads.
Their show as a whole is a good listen.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Concerning our recruiting, it is easy to see that 2012 and the 2013 classes were a mess, however our recruiting has turned around since Ted Roof and Mike Pelton have come along... See 2014, 2015 and 2016 Classes. Part of the problem with our 3-9 season last year was all of the departures from the 2012 and 13 classes, let’s Look:

2012 Class - We had 17 commits, however 3 were dismissed and 2 quit for health reason and another quit in the middle of last season.! Oh and one of the health concerns was an OL guy! SO we have 11 from the class, but two are NFL picks so we actually have 9 on this year’s roster.

Dennis Andrews - AB - Dismissed
Anthony Autry - WR- Dismissed
Adam Gostis - DL- NFL Draft Pick
Justin Thomas- Starting QB
Francis Kallon - DL
DJ White - CB - NFL Draft Pick
Pat Gamble - DL
Rod Chungong - DL
Marcus Allen - BB
Beau Hankins - LB- Left Team Due To Concussions
Mike Summers - WR- Quit on Team playing this year for GA Southern
Chase Roberts - OL- Left Team Due To Concussions
Freddie Burden - Starting Center
Travin Henry - DE - Dismissed
Lynn Griffin - AB
Ryan Rodwell - P

2013 Class - We had 13 commits, however we had 5 recruits leave the team, 1 dismissed and another OL not healthy and thinking of calling it a career. SO really we have only 7 on the roster from that class maybe 6 depending on what the big OL decides.

Shamire Devine - OG
Kevin Robbins - DL - Left Team
Ricky Juene - WR
Darius Commissiong - DL Left Team
Donovan Wilson - BB Left Team
Harrison Butker - K
Chris Griffin - OL Injured, thinking about calling it quits for Health
Justin Akins - DL - Left Team
John Marvin - DB - Dismissed
Ty Griffin - QB - Left Team
PJ Davis - LB
Antonio Messick - WR
Corey Criffin - S

My point is as soon as Ted Roof/Mike Pelton came in and had a full cycle to recruit you can see 2014, 2015, 2016 classes are deeper and better. During our 3-9 season not only did we get hit with injuries we also were missing 13 player who were recruited to play a GT that left the team for one reason or another. We also missed on Travis Custis and Myles Autry so you could say 15 players.

The coaches are pulling out all stops, two JUCO transfers, UGA transfer, and a USC transfer! 2016 should be better by a mile we are deeper and more experience and the lack of 2012/13 classes will not have the same effect on the team as it did last season as the 2014-15 classes matured. If we stay healthy we are back in the ACC hunt again!