Georgia Tech head football coach Paul Johnson on Press Row

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Who was that guy impersonating CPJ...the real CPJ is incapable of good media relations right? Had to be an imposter:rolleyes:

Did anyone else notice those guys didn't seem to ask any of the stupid cliche questions he often has to field?

Yeah, sports reporters who ask open-ended questions seeking information rather than loaded gotcha questions think he's a great interview.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Biggest concern depth wise...... Now it may also be biggest concern, but the question was about depth.

I'm sorry but when you have 13 scholly players for 3 running back positions,it is no wonder there is a "short" at some position that requires a number of players--ie-OL--guess who ok'd the recruiting

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but when you have 13 scholly players for 3 running back positions,it is no wonder there is a "short" at some position that requires a number of players--ie-OL--guess who ok'd the recruiting
Our numbers match the numbers of Clemson, Miami, and VT. The reason OL is low currently is some unanticipated attrition.

We have more RBs on scholly but less WR and TE so it actually does balance out.

But keep trying to spread that misinformation. One day it may be right.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Our numbers match the numbers of Clemson, Miami, and VT. The reason OL is low currently is some unanticipated attrition.

I hear the "we don't have enough OL" stuff from some guys and wonder if anything less than 30 OL on scholarship would satisfy them. CPJ is a great interview, though...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Clemson has 13 OL on scholly right now today, with 5 more coming in. Total 18 in 2016.
We have 12 including griffin as of today and morgan switching over for DL with 2 coming in. Thats 14 in 2016. And I am including Griffin in this number. Without him I believe would be at 13 in 2016....

its not misinformation IMO. We are low on numbers and only brought in 4 OL last two years. FYI after transfers VT has 21 on roster and I think 17 are on scholly....

GT was also in a bad OL spot similar to this 3 years ago...its not the first time...so it seems a repetitive issue IMO

Miami is an equal dumpster fire....Everyone else in the ACC seems to be good in numbers.

GT and Miami are not.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has 13 OL on scholly right now today, with 5 more coming in. Total 18 in 2016.
We have 12 including griffin as of today and morgan switching over for DL with 2 coming in. Thats 14 in 2016. And I am including Griffin in this number. Without him I believe would be at 13 in 2016....

its not misinformation IMO. We are low on numbers and only brought in 4 OL last two years. FYI after transfers VT has 21 on roster and I think 17 are on scholly....

GT was also in a bad OL spot similar to this 3 years ago...its not the first time...so it seems a repetitive issue IMO

Miami is an equal dumpster fire....Everyone else in the ACC seems to be good in numbers.

GT and Miami are not.

Where is your data from? If I read it correctly, CU has 9 returning and 4 incoming for 2016.
http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=16&yr=2015&nid=651

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Where is your data from? If I read it correctly, CU has 9 returning and 4 incoming for 2016.
http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=16&yr=2015&nid=651

AE, the Clemson roster online..go to each OL profile..it states whether walkon or not...I removed all walkons...added up and then added OL coming in from rivals is where I thought I counted 5....If its 4 then its 17 not 18....maybe I am totally messing up...but I counted 18 originally if its 4 then its 17. Also sometimes recruiting lists a guy as DL but he is OL vice versa

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
AE, the Clemson roster online..go to each OL profile..it states whether walkon or not...I removed all walkons...added up and then added OL coming in from rivals is where I thought I counted 5....If its 4 then its 17 not 18....maybe I am totally messing up...but I counted 18 originally if its 4 then its 17. Also sometimes recruiting lists a guy as DL but he is OL vice versa
We may have made the strategic calculation to count on walkons a little more than other teams. Since we don't oversign, which is admirable, imo, we need very low attrition and very high pan out rate. The decision may be made easier in the fact that some of these pwo's are a very small step down, if that, from some of the guys we're giving full rides to. This allows us to fill out our depth numbers without taking a hit to our scholly totals.

This strategy only works when attrition is low and pan out rate is high. It's a razor's edge we walk but the alternative is less appealing to the coaches - taking schollies from other positions.

Once in a while you get a walkon that becomes a major contributor or even starter (Bedford). Typically, you get guys who are there to provide limited, but valuable, minutes in a backup capacity.

Another thing to consider, our coaches, especially the big man, has been running this exact offense for a very long time and the total scholly number haven't changed much, if any, during that entire time span. I'm sure finding that perfect number mix throughout the offense is not some issue that is taken lightly and I'm sure it's something that has been tweaked and experimented with many times over the years. It's certainly not easy especially when you consider you're not just looking at overall numbers per group, but numbers have to be spread out among classes, as well. The number of available schollies year to year varies greatly as well throwing in another curve ball that disallows a basic formulaic approach.

The crop of available OL's is wild card year to year, too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One player can make a big difference. I don't think CPJ would feel the same if Griffin was good to go this year. Take away any teams likely best OL and most coaches will suddenly be more concerned about that position group.