Georgia Tech Football Media Day 2017

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Where do you come up with Lucas may be the most polished passer? Serious question. Guys on the team have talked about JJ passing but haven't heard anything about Lucas from the players. CPJ even said Jay was not playing like that the other part of the spring. I just don't read much into the spring game.

By watching his footwork and presence in the pocket, he knows how to slide to create passing lanes and didn't get flustered in the face of the rush. Very calm pocket presence, you can see how solid his mechanics are as well as knowing when to throw the ball away.

I'm not downgrading Jay at all and, like everyone else here I haven't seen practice, but what I did see are habits from high school of carrying the ball free and loose. He's learning you can't give the D a shot at the ball and that he's not going to out athlete everybody.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where do you come up with Lucas may be the most polished passer? Serious question. Guys on the team have talked about JJ passing but haven't heard anything about Lucas from the players. CPJ even said Jay was not playing like that the other part of the spring. I just don't read much into the spring game.

FWIW, CPJ had Lucas throwing with the first team during spring practice. Not Taquan, who was QB1 when MJ got hurt, and not Jay Jones.

IMO, both JJ and LJ are great talents that bring different things to the table. GT is going to be the biggest winner because the talent is such that whoever end up at QB1 will have beaten out other guys who are capable of doing great things at the position.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
By watching his footwork and presence in the pocket, he knows how to slide to create passing lanes and didn't get flustered in the face of the rush. Very calm pocket presence, you can see how solid his mechanics are as well as knowing when to throw the ball away.

I'm not downgrading Jay at all and, like everyone else here I haven't seen practice, but what I did see are habits from high school of carrying the ball free and loose. He's learning you can't give the D a shot at the ball and that he's not going to out athlete everybody.
I get your point about LJ, but being able to handle a pocket good doesn't automatically translate to being a good passer, those are two different things. And I agree JJ holds the ball to far away from his body, but JT did this same thing and we see how well he did. Plus I'm inclined to believe CPJ when he says that wasn't the normal way JJ played the rest of the spring. JMO and I see where you are coming from.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I get your point about LJ, but being able to handle a pocket good doesn't automatically translate to being a good passer, those are two different things. And I agree JJ holds the ball to far away from his body, but JT did this same thing and we see how well he did. Plus I'm inclined to believe CPJ when he says that wasn't the normal way JJ played the rest of the spring. JMO and I see where you are coming from.

Got it, as I said I'm not downgrading either just going with my eyes showed me :) It's a good problem to have trying to decide who gives Tech the best chance to win going forward!

Let me say this though, pocket presence and good mechanics are generally indicative of a good passer. ;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, CPJ had Lucas throwing with the first team during spring practice. Not Taquan, who was QB1 when MJ got hurt, and not Jay Jones.

IMO, both JJ and LJ are great talents that bring different things to the table. GT is going to be the biggest winner because the talent is such that whoever end up at QB1 will have beaten out other guys who are capable of doing great things at the position.
Yea I saw that about LJ but was it just for one practice? Maybe he had seen enough from JJ and TM and wanted to see more from LJ? This is all speculation of course. But it seems weird considering he's not going to put one guy in to run and another to pass and TQ is the 2nd string guy so why pull away from his time trying to get a connection going. To me it seems like he was wanting to see something specific from LJ. We've now had two guys on the team talk about JJ and passing but nothing about the other QB's when talked about. I think they all bring something unique to the field though and I trust CPJ will field the best guy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Got it, as I said I'm not downgrading either just going with my eyes showed me :) It's a good problem to have trying to decide who gives Tech the best chance to win going forward!

Let me say this though, pocket presence and good mechanics are generally indicative of a good passer. ;)
Yes, GT is in a very good place at the QB position.