Georgia Tech donors see positives, but it’s time to ‘put up or shut up’

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Last year after we beat them on last second td pass,, cgc said " we just beat a really great offensive team". I was ridiculed by my hs coaching son
Now they have a young qb that is slinging it.
I was at their Temple game. The Duke defense was very good that game. Not out of position and tackled well in space. No coverage break downs. The QB was hitting his receivers (I think he completed all his passes in the first half). I was surprised they played that well for their first game under a new coach. They will be a handful for us this year. This could be the game that ultimately becomes the final straw. It's a must game for this staff. Will there be any fight left in the team for this game?

JacketFan137

Banned
I was at their Temple game. The Duke defense was very good that game. Not out of position and tackled well in space. No coverage break downs. The QB was hitting his receivers (I think he completed all his passes in the first half). I was surprised they played that well for their first game under a new coach. They will be a handful for us this year. This could be the game that ultimately becomes the final straw. It's a must game for this staff. Will there be any fight left in the team for this game?
we’ve played two games. why are you asking if there’s gonna be any fight left in the team? just seems like a wild jump to be making at this point in the season lol

MidtownJacket

Staff member
For me I would say the bar is fairly low (get back to .500 football this season, and improve next year) but the tolerance for a miss is almost nonexistent.

I still have faith in the team, and will remind you all of my sage 2-0 pregame season prognostication for this week:

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: I believe we have to win this game to have a solid back half of the schedule. We grow up this week and beat the rebels, staving off our own rebelling fans and start to turn the corner. The team is bought in and ready to roll now, and since we are being optimistic we avoid the injury bug that has been lurking around for what feels like forever based on the changes in our conditioning staff.

PS LINK TO FULL FUTURE PREDICTIONS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DOUBTED

PPS I did not share that I became a mod, but look, I hinted at it here, it's like a GeorgePBurdell Drop:
@kg01 has been blocked by the 8-10 blowhards on here that only kvetch about the program but can’t take the heat from our guy’s kitchen and there is some hilarity between people missing posts because of the blocked content. I start quoting @kg01 in an unholy alliance to make sure the haters have to read his katana like sharp wit and get the both of us put in the SinBin*.
no regrets GIF

*Just kidding mods, no posters were injured during the creation of this hypothetical- plus if we are 6-4 in the way I have described at this points wouldn’t I have enough time traveler cred to be unbannable? Like don’t mess with that MidtownJacketMagic™

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
we’ve played two games. why are you asking if there’s gonna be any fight left in the team? just seems like a wild jump to be making at this point in the season lol
Tough stretch coming and we need the Duke win . If we go into that game on a losing streak, will they still have any fire left. Very important to get a win before that game. UVA looks to be struggling now under a new staff. VT is probably winnable as is UNC but game in CH and so far not a good history with away wins. We shall see how it plays out. This team needs to still be playing for a bowl in late October.

kalld12

Banned
Tough stretch coming and we need the Duke win . If we go into that game on a losing streak, will they still have any fire left. Very important to get a win before that game. UVA looks to be struggling now under a new staff. VT is probably winnable as is UNC but game in CH and so far not a good history with away wins. We shall see how it plays out. This team needs to still be playing for a bowl in late October.
I can get behind this, but we need more faith in our team going into these next 3 games. You're right we need at least one win and MUST win the conference games after that, that we know we will be competitive in. I still have tons of faith in this team, but we got to start putting the pieces together. Saturday will tell us a lot.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I like to think it put up or shut up time for donors too! They’re the one that have the money and basically call the shots for our two main athletic programs, Football and basketball, but we’ve constantly been at the bottom of the acc when it’s come to coaching hires, budgets and now NIL stuff. So, this is their time to show and prove.
If we have another losing season, they better make a “splash/big name” hire like they’ve talked about.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If this is the year that GC is done, TStan has to have the $ lined up for a buyout and a new contract. The staff still has some buyouts as well. Not a good situation to be in unless large $ donors are willing to help. There are a lot of reasons for TStan to hope for a winning season.

JacketFan137

Banned
I like to think it put up or shut up time for donors too! They’re the one that have the money and basically call the shots for our two main athletic programs, Football and basketball, but we’ve constantly been at the bottom of the acc when it’s come to coaching hires, budgets and now NIL stuff. So, this is their time to show and prove.
If we have another losing season, they better make a “splash/big name” hire like they’ve talked about.
yeah collins salary is in the lower part of the acc and relative to competitive p5 schools (not counting your vanderbilt, purdue, rutgers etc) he is bottom of the barrel. if these donors that keep making comments to the media are truly committed they need to pony up and pay some money to hire a serious coach. not just some up and coming guy or rehashing some old guy with loose connections to the program.

if i see us linked to bozos like whisenhunt, g5 coaches and guys that just aren’t proven im gonna continue to have a hard time taking those guys seriously

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The qb Freshman and soph at UNC and Duke are at top of ACC passing while our qb is at the bottom.
In BB Unc and Duke "just reload" OK. But not in Football. I refuse to here a Sam Howell replacement for 4 years.

Cgc has all his chips on Sims.

In the ole miss game the defense and running game can help. Sims has to shine brightly for several series if we are to play them close..
Let's Go Sims!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Cgc has all his chips on Sims.

In the ole miss game the defense and running game can help. Sims has to shine brightly for several series if we are to play them close..
Let's Go Sims!
Chan rode the Reggie Ball horse all the way off the North Ave exit ramp. I think Collins is doing the same with Sims. Time will tell if it’s a good decision or if he should have given Puma Man the ball pool and let him a rip instead.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If this is the year that GC is done, TStan has to have the $ lined up for a buyout and a new contract. The staff still has some buyouts as well. Not a good situation to be in unless large $ donors are willing to help. There are a lot of reasons for TStan to hope for a winning season.
If large donors aren't willing to help TStan or whomever might replace him, then the program is essentially dead.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If large donors aren't willing to help TStan or whomever might replace him, then the program is essentially dead.
If large donors, not so large donors in large numbers, AND Cabrera, aren't willing to help whoever the AD is......program ded.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Chan rode the Reggie Ball horse all the way off the North Ave exit ramp. I think Collins is doing the same with Sims. Time will tell if it’s a good decision or if he should have given Puma Man the ball pool and let him a rip instead.
I look at it a bit differently. I think Chan rode the Pat Nix train for far too long and when he made that change it was too little, too late. Collins may have ridden the Dave Patenaude train for too long. In both cases I think the teachers were bigger problems than the students. But that's just my opinion.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t think you can look at any game left and circle it as a win. On the other hand, I only see one sure loss.
I agree with this. If you assume UGA is a loss then GT has to go 5-4 against the other 9 to get to 6 wins. Doable, but not easy.

Right now Ole Miss feels like the toughest of the next 3. They have looked solid on both sides of the ball.
UCF did not look good offensively against L'ville (though they did look good defensively).
Pitt has looked good in parts so far. They lost their Top 2 QB's against Pitt so we will have to see when they are ready to go. Word is 1st string is concussion, 2nd string ankle injury.