Georgia Tech D looking to continue upward trend

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia Tech's defense is earning compliments instead of criticism.

The next challenge is to show its recent strong play is no fluke.

Georgia Tech still ranks near the bottom of most Atlantic Coast Conference defensive statistics despite strong signs that a turnaround is underway.

sports.yahoo.com/news/georgia-...064--ncaaf.html

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Although I believe our coaching can help these guys with alignment and doing some unpredictable stuff, we are who we are by now on D. If Watson is back for Clem's Son, we will have to outscore them to have any chance. UVA's offense was not all that much, but we did play well against them. Please don't get unreal expectations for this D this year. Any success should be appreciated, but not so much expected, in my opinion.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the Watson hype is overblown. He played really well against two of the worst defenses in the conference. He didnt do THAT great against a mediocre FSU defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we had FSU's mediocre defense, I believe we would be in the playoff this year.....just my thinking....sure it is flawed. :)

We'd be undefeated and being discussed for sure. But we'd still hae to beat CLemson, UGAg and FSU to make the playoff. Next year get the talk and the following year make the dance.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
We'd be undefeated and being discussed for sure. But we'd still hae to beat CLemson, UGAg and FSU to make the playoff. Next year get the talk and the following year make the dance.
Yeah I think you are being reasonable. Next year's schedule doesn't look favorable (opponents and home vs. away). When you add in the fact that Tech requests as regard scheduling (like when or if they get Thursday games, game times, and bye weeks especially relative to Fall Break) are rarely granted, plus the fact that every single Tech opponent makes sure to put at or near the top of its schedule requests a bye week before Tech then the task next year looks very difficult.

Of course, some fans' attitude is very linear and progressive so that if a team wins 9 games one year it is going to win at least 10 the next and then 11, 12 . . . and nine seasons later should expect to win 18 games. :p

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I dont believe our defense can be great this year, but I do believe alot of our problem has been scheme related. Having someone at SDE like Gamble helps tremendously in closing the pocket on opposing QBs, which in turn forces quicker throws, which in turn lets our DBs play closer to the line of scrimmage, which in turn makes our defense alot better.

Travis just seems like he isn't fast enough to speed rush, and not strong enough to power rush. The guy plays hard but just not talented enough to be a starter in D1 IMO

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Next years schedule sounds brutal but we aren't playing an Everett gholsten led nd nor a winston led FSU which helps

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I dont believe our defense can be great this year, but I do believe alot of our problem has been scheme related. Having someone at SDE like Gamble helps tremendously in closing the pocket on opposing QBs, which in turn forces quicker throws, which in turn lets our DBs play closer to the line of scrimmage, which in turn makes our defense alot better.

Travis just seems like he isn't fast enough to speed rush, and not strong enough to power rush. The guy plays hard but just not talented enough to be a starter in D1 IMO
Gamble gives you a lot more at end even if he never gets to the QB. He is a lot taller than Travis too and he has longer arms. That reduces the throwing lanes a good bit too. We just need the size. We can't afford to be small at every position like we have been.