Article Georgia Tech coordinators see bump in pay

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Highest coaches salaries in history. Just over 10 million, including HCBK. The mutts pay their head coach what our entire staff makes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … that's as obscene as most places.

This constant upward pressure on coaches salaries doesn't make any sense. Take Key, for instance. Right now he doesn't have a head coaching record. He took over last year and did ok, but he's never run a ship before. Why does he get a salary like he knows what he's doing when we don't know if he does? I think he does, but so what?

Well, there isn't much choice in the matter. Until the Revolution we're stuck with it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Well … that's as obscene as most places.

This constant upward pressure on coaches salaries doesn't make any sense. Take Key, for instance. Right now he doesn't have a head coaching record. He took over last year and did ok, but he's never run a ship before. Why does he get a salary like he knows what he's doing when we don't know if he does? I think he does, but so what?

Well, there isn't much choice in the matter. Until the Revolution we're stuck with it.
While I agree that the escalation in coaches' salaries is unsustainable, to question Key’s salary is puzzling. Let’s see…
  • Get a coach for less than the previous two were making last year of coaching – check.
  • Pay our coach the lowest salary in the conference – check.
What exactly do you think we should have offered Key or any other coach to come to GT? I think we did as well as we could have expected, factoring in his relative inexperience with the p5 market rate.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is a positive and necessary step in the right direction.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Engineers and numbers.
In 2021
Uga alumni donated 45,000,000

Gt alumni donated 8,000,000.

It is what it is.

2 good years, Batt works magic, and we break 20,000,000 in donations

I had a conversation with a friend this weekend. She randomly said GT was #2 in total enrollment in the state of GA, and ahead of UGA. I looked it up and found this:

For my purposes, I would consider total enrollment about equal for the top 4 on that list. Given that, you would think GT would be better than the numbers you quoted...and we know your numbers are probably accurate given how cheap GT fans are. I don't expect GT to be anywhere close to UGA athletic donations, but given the numbers, you would hope GT could at least break $20 million. Nope.

The other thing is GT's male enrollment is pretty high. I would make a guess (maybe a bad one) that males give more to their school's sports programs than females do.

Really odd numbers all around for GT.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I had a conversation with a friend this weekend. She randomly said GT was #2 in total enrollment in the state of GA, and ahead of UGA. I looked it up and found this:

For my purposes, I would consider total enrollment about equal for the top 4 on that list. Given that, you would think GT would be better than the numbers you quoted...and we know your numbers are probably accurate given how cheap GT fans are. I don't expect GT to be anywhere close to UGA athletic donations, but given the numbers, you would hope GT could at least break $20 million. Nope.

The other thing is GT's male enrollment is pretty high. I would make a guess (maybe a bad one) that males give more to their school's sports programs than females do.

GT's enrollment counts the online students which inflates the number a ton, and those people are giving essentially nothing to the school or the football program.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
GT's enrollment counts the online students which inflates the number a ton, and those people are giving essentially nothing to the school or the football program.
I can contribute to this... I'm in an online masters program at GT now, and there are something like 2-3K students in my program alone. I imagine that there is a huge number of students across all online programs combined.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

The percentage of our study body and alumni who care enough about sports to donate is drastically lower than UGA’s percentage. A lot of that has to do with the type of student we attract, where they’re from, where the go after graduation. We attract kids from all over the planet, who in turn move all over the planet after graduation. A lot of these kids have never watched a football game, no do they during their time at Tech. It’s not the bulk of our students, but it’s a lot of them. A lot of kids choose UGA based on the football experience alone, stay in state, donate and become season ticket holders. Enrollment numbers and male population don’t matter in my opinion if they’re from the other side of the globe and recognize Lionel Messi over Calvin Johnson. Haha that’d actually be a great study with our male students. Do you recognize these two faces? And see how many more know Messi over Calvin.

All of this changes with the product on the field.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Also, our undergraduate enrollment is around 17k. We actually have more grad students enrolled than undergrads. Undergrads are where you are more likely to generate lifetime fans.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's demographics thru Fall 2022. 60/40 male/female undergrad, 73/27 for grad students. I was surprised we have that many undergrad students now. It was 11k back in the 80's with 7k grad students.

1689093447266.png

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Undergrad matters the most for fan development. Good friend that did undergrad with me at tech got mba at unc-ch. Still 100% tech fan. Also have a high school friend who lives in Philly whose son chose to attend UGA last year mainly for the college sports atmosphere(ps - I give him **** weekly for allowing that to happen).