Georgia Tech Basketball: Roster Preview

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't mean for my comment to be harsh about Deebo. I guess improving fitness is a bit of an obsession for me. I think Deebo is a very good player and potenially a great player. He reminds me some of Dennis Scott his first two years. When Dennis improved his fitness his game exploded.
Some athletes have trouble losing weight. I had trouble gaining weight and that eventually ended my college hoops career. Deebo has body chemistry that making him very unlike me. It is also possible he his running and lifting every spare minute of his life. I like him as a player and hope he stays healthy and productive on the court.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tournament schools should equal D1 and transfers should equal D1. My Google-fu is failing me this morning.

I think there are about 350 eligible schools. There are 32 conferences that have automatic qualifiers for their champions.

I think your knowledge of baseball transfer rules serves you pretty well for basketball too, but the schools might be different.

But I’d have to look up whether Gardner-Webb is a tourney school or a lower division school. I can’t keep track of ‘em all.
Gardner Webb is in the Big South Conference. They have been to the NCAA Tournament one time. Definitely D1.

slugboy

Staff member
Some athletes have trouble losing weight. I had trouble gaining weight and that eventually ended my college hoops career. Deebo has body chemistry that making him very unlike me. It is also possible he his running and lifting every spare minute of his life. I like him as a player and hope he stays healthy and productive on the court.
Last year, looking at the Hawks, I kept thinking that Kevin Huerter needed to put on some muscle to help his game. Then, I looked at Trae and thought “nah, I’m not gonna worry about him” even though he looks like he doesn’t do S&C.
In the NBA, there are a few players like James Harden who don’t look like athletes at all but their game is insanely good.
That happens even more in college, and these players don’t have the time to dedicate to training that the pros do. Some players aren’t going to look super cut, even if they’re in otherwise great shape.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I just stated an opinion which could very likely be wrong. Deebo may training be very hard. I don't think he is overweight, but he appears to need some muscle toning which might improve his quickness. I wish him well and hope he has a great sports, academic, and social time at Tech.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I just stated an opinion which could very likely be wrong. Deebo may training be very hard. I don't think he is overweight, but he appears to need some muscle toning which might improve his quickness. I wish him well and hope he has a great sports, academic, and social time at Tech.

I understood your point and didn't view it as a swipe or diss on Deebo.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe the most exciting aspect of this season will be seeing who steps into the key roles. Lots of wide-open opportunities for guys to step-up.

If Howard was a better defender / rebounder, then I think the 4 spot would be wide open for a player like Jalon Moore or even Deebo Coleman (at 6'6" 218) to play at the 4. But as it is, I think it will be Franklin at the 4 because of his physical play and proven production on the boards. I think we need him at the 4 to help cover some of Howard's defensive deficiencies in the paint.

But, positions 1 thru 3 seem wide open to me. If Deivon Smith has really made a jump, then I think he easily surpasses Sturdivant. I think if Sturidivant was going to make a move, he would have done it last year, but the opportunity is still there for him regardless of my skepticism. Whomever plays the position, we need way, WAY, WAAAAAAYYYYYY more production at both ends from the PG spot this season. Not turning it over is not enough. If things are going porly at the PG spot, could Miles Kelly see some minutes here?

The two and three spots are up for grabs. Deebo is too big and heavy legged to guard at the 2. So, I think it will be Kelly, Terry or Maxwell at the 2. Will it be a season long rotation or will one of them grab the position by the horns? Lance Terry is the x-factor at this spot. The coaches keep referring to him as steady and dependable. The team may really need that on the court.

Same for the 3. I could see any of Kelly (if he's not playing the one or two), Coleman or Jalon Moore establishing themselves at the 3. Kelly is slight for the 3 but long. Coleman has size, but is not quick and has to learn to use his size instead of floating around the perimeter. He needs to make major changes to his game to be a +ACC starting player. Jalon Moore is the x-factor at this spot. Moore likely has more upside on the defensive end at the 3 than either Kelly or Coleman.

Pre-season returns suggest that the team has a low ceiling on the defensive end and a high ceiling on the offensive end. We may lack adequate defensive versatility so that the staff is forced to play guys who will stick their nose in there and grind on the defensive end rather than playing the player with the greatest offensive firepower at each position.

Only thing I disagree with is your position on Deebo. IMO, I think that he is our most likely candidate on the team to become a +ACC starter.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that this is Deebo's team by end of year. Make no mistake, Kelly is going to be a strong player for us, he will be very good, but not better than Coleman.

Coleman started every game a year ago, and he will take a big step forward this year. He's improved his body considerably and all reports are that he is lighting it up in the scrimmages.

He's been our leading scorer in both. Rodney said that Deebo hit 4 trey's in the first 7 possessions against Tulane.

If anything, I think that opposing teams will be focused on stopping Deebo, opening the door for the others.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
His weight would be useful in rebounding but he sure didn't use it last yr.We need him badly on the boards.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
His weight would be useful in rebounding but he sure didn't use it last yr.We need him badly on the boards.
If you are rebounding from the 3 spot - I will take quickness over weight even for rebounding. Except for rotations you shouldn't have to bang with a legit 5. If we have to play him primarily at the 4 spot then I will take a few extra pounds.