Georgia Tech athletics to post $2.1 million surplus (SY17-18)

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
That NCST deal came at a different point in the cycle. I think it is fairly safe to say the apparel bubble has deflated with UA's financial issues.

Kansas/Indiana/Louisville get more than us due to their basketball teams being good. We become a lot more attractive to Adidas if we can have a consistently good basketball program again.

slugboy

Staff member
So that means the following adidas schools make more than Georgia Tech.. Are deal looks and feels like a top tier G5 program and bottom feeder P5 program.... it us what it is!

Washington
Nebraska
Texas A&M
Kansas
Indiana
Arizona State
Louisville
Miami
NC State

I really hate that NC State has such a great deal and we do not.. I hope we can get a deal like theirs during the "look in"

That NCST deal came at a different point in the cycle. I think it is fairly safe to say the apparel bubble has deflated with UA's financial issues.

Kansas/Indiana/Louisville get more than us due to their basketball teams being good. We become a lot more attractive to Adidas if we can have a consistently good basketball program again.
I agree with that. Here's last year's RPI rankings.

3. Kansas
25. Texas A&M
29. Miami
42. Louisville
54. Nebraska
63. Washington
72. NC State
73. Arizona State
124. Indiana
165. Georgia Tech

We're probably underrating how much basketball strength and the basketball fan following matters for the apparel deals (and Indiana is much more that 124th in basketball fan following, obviously).

Also, there's football attendance (link), where you're going to find the football fans buying apparel.

Code:
Texas A&M            98,802 
Nebraska             89,798 
Washington           68,822 
Miami                58,682 
NC State             56,850 
Arizona State        51,380 
Georgia Tech         46,885 
Louisville           46,160 
Indiana              43,953 
Kansas               26,641

We're in the middle there (not bad, pretty good). If you want to look through last year's Football FEI, it's here. We're behind most of those teams. I'd say we're turning things around, but we got ourselves into a pretty bad situation, and should be in a better position in a couple of years for the "look-in" on the agreement.