Georgia Tech at Virginia, Jan 23, 8pm, ACC Network

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
i really was hoping that pastner would sub bubba out at some point for kevon to add a little more size in the 2nd half

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Usher had the hot hand last night...wish he would have taken more shots in the last 8 minutes or tried to create something going down the lane. I do feel fatigue took its toll on the team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, although I'm disappointed in the outcome as I thought we should have won, I'm more mad at how the last five minutes played out. This should have been a win. I'll say this, I have a feeling our guys walked off that court knowing they should have won that...and I'm making a prediction that they will return the favor in a few weeks at home.

UVA started taking advantage of the mismatches in the second half. As good of a coach as Tony Bennett is, I was really surprised that he didn't take advantage of mismatches earlier in the game. No way Jose should have been on Hauser for that long, and we got away with it for a good portion of the game. Later in the second half, they focused on that matchup. There was a few times Parham was defending in the post and I expected UVA take advantage of that...but they never could.

Speaking of Jose, that dude did a heck of a job for a good portion of the game against Hauser. Also, Geoff Collins needs to ask if he wants to play some DB. What a heck of a game from Alvarado on the offensive and defensive end. He absolutely ate Clark's lunch in that PG matchup. Clark wasn't anywhere near the same weight class as Alvarado last night. Both were 2nd team All ACC and one of them played like a first team All ACC guy while the other guy didn't register a vote.

Some of ya'll are gonna have to let go of your previous judgements on Usher. That dude is a baller. Yes, he seems like he's out of control at times, but his game has changed since last season. You've heard me say that he's our most athletic and explosive player, but I will go further and say he's easily one of the top guys in the ACC in terms of athleticism and explosiveness. When he's out on a fast break, I've yet to see anyone keep up with him...sometimes he doesn't keep up with himself LOL. Yes, he's herky jerky still, but I think that's a part of his game we have to appreciate because it's what makes Usher, well, Usher.

I haven't really watched much of the rest of the ACC, but is anyone as lethal as we are on fast breaks? Holy crap, we are REALLY fast and efficient on fast breaks.

Not sure what happened in the last 5 minutes. They literally dared Moses to shoot...and he took the shots. If you're the other team, you live with Moses taking those 15+ jumpers over giving him an opportunity for shots in the post. Did Usher even attempt a shot in the last 5 minutes?

Anyhow, sucks to lose this game when we were in complete control for the vast majority of it. The game is forty minutes, and we didn't finish. Credit to UVA...that's a good team. GT is a good team as well...a REALLY good team. If you're on Twitter, consensus is we are definitely a tournament team. Hopefully, we take the lessons from this game and turn it on even more the rest of the season.

I'll say this: It is refreshing to play these games knowing we have a good chance of winning. I look forward to these games now where in the recent past I kinda dreaded them. Well, we have a run of the next five games we can really make a statement.

Go Jackets!

HenryUsher

Georgia Tech Fan
Man, although I'm disappointed in the outcome as I thought we should have won, I'm more mad at how the last five minutes played out. This should have been a win. I'll say this, I have a feeling our guys walked off that court knowing they should have won that...and I'm making a prediction that they will return the favor in a few weeks at home.

UVA started taking advantage of the mismatches in the second half. As good of a coach as Tony Bennett is, I was really surprised that he didn't take advantage of mismatches earlier in the game. No way Jose should have been on Hauser for that long, and we got away with it for a good portion of the game. Later in the second half, they focused on that matchup. There was a few times Parham was defending in the post and I expected UVA take advantage of that...but they never could.

Speaking of Jose, that dude did a heck of a job for a good portion of the game against Hauser. Also, Geoff Collins needs to ask if he wants to play some DB. What a heck of a game from Alvarado on the offensive and defensive end. He absolutely ate Clark's lunch in that PG matchup. Clark wasn't anywhere near the same weight class as Alvarado last night. Both were 2nd team All ACC and one of them played like a first team All ACC guy while the other guy didn't register a vote.

Some of ya'll are gonna have to let go of your previous judgements on Usher. That dude is a baller. Yes, he seems like he's out of control at times, but his game has changed since last season. You've heard me say that he's our most athletic and explosive player, but I will go further and say he's easily one of the top guys in the ACC in terms of athleticism and explosiveness. When he's out on a fast break, I've yet to see anyone keep up with him...sometimes he doesn't keep up with himself LOL. Yes, he's herky jerky still, but I think that's a part of his game we have to appreciate because it's what makes Usher, well, Usher.

I haven't really watched much of the rest of the ACC, but is anyone as lethal as we are on fast breaks? Holy crap, we are REALLY fast and efficient on fast breaks.

Not sure what happened in the last 5 minutes. They literally dared Moses to shoot...and he took the shots. If you're the other team, you live with Moses taking those 15+ jumpers over giving him an opportunity for shots in the post. Did Usher even attempt a shot in the last 5 minutes?

Anyhow, sucks to lose this game when we were in complete control for the vast majority of it. The game is forty minutes, and we didn't finish. Credit to UVA...that's a good team. GT is a good team as well...a REALLY good team. If you're on Twitter, consensus is we are definitely a tournament team. Hopefully, we take the lessons from this game and turn it on even more the rest of the season.

I'll say this: It is refreshing to play these games knowing we have a good chance of winning. I look forward to these games now where in the recent past I kinda dreaded them. Well, we have a run of the next five games we can really make a statement.

Go Jackets!
Nice post

Deleted member 2897

I'll say this: It is refreshing to play these games knowing we have a good chance of winning. I look forward to these games now where in the recent past I kinda dreaded them.
Too many points to agree with, so I’ll pick maybe what I thought is most important above.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow

Go Jackets!
Not only has Usher's game changed since last season, it has changed/evolved within this season. It continues to evolve week to week. Amazing thing about young athletes: they learn, grow, adapt. Many fans get a mindset that just because of a 4* label, kids must show up and produce as frosh and sophs. In reality, many 4* prospects are rated that way because of their future potential (size, athleticism, youth, etc) and not necessarily because of pure skills and hoop IQ at age 17. They need time to learn, grow, develop, especially at the highest level like the ACC --- the way most college players did before the modern era of rankings and ratings and hype put so many unrealistic expectations on young guys.
IMHO, the key to Usher's evolution thus far, and going-forward, is shot SELECTION (and the associated decisions regarding when and where to attack off the bounce). I see him learning and improving his shot selection each week this year. In half-court situations, I now see him attacking the paint knowing his goal is to collapse the defense and find an open teammate, rather than create his own shot in traffic. He is looking more like an upperclassman. There are still some poor shot selection decisions game to game, but I see significant learning and growth *within* this season in terms of hoop IQ, shot selection, and decisions on when to attack. Credit to him and the coaching staff. When he looks to score in transition or lets the half-court offense create the shot for him, very good production and stats. When he tries to create his own half-court scoring opportunities and jump shots off the bounce, production and stats plummet. That's true of almost all players, save a select few. The key for most, including Usher, is learning that and incorporating it at full speed with the adrenaline flowing and ACC defenses coming at you - which is exactly what he seems to be doing.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought the goaltending call was correct. The rule states if any part of the ball is above the cylinder, then it is goaltending. In this case, part of the ball appeared above the cylinder, in my estimation.

Doesn't matter whether the ball is likely to go in i.e., if just a portion of the ball is above the rim and likely to deflect out. That seemed to be the case for us, but it is still goaltending.
It does matter whether the ball is likely to go in. The rule also requires there to be a possibility that the ball will enter the basket on it's own.

You could argue for a kong time if there was a one in a million chance that ball would go in... but wither way, it does factor into the call.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
It does matter whether the ball is likely to go in. The rule also requires there to be a possibility that the ball will enter the basket on it's own.

You could argue for a kong time if there was a one in a million chance that ball would go in... but wither way, it does factor into the call.
2020-2021 Rule Book:

"Art. 3. Goaltending.
a. Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.h)
1. The ball is on its downward flight; and
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder."

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
I just realized I'm disagreeing with an admin and will quickly admit I'm not a referee or some kind of expert. I still feel the statement was misleading after reading the rules.

The goal tending rule seems to say nothing about if "any part of the ball is above the cylinder". That language seems to be combining parts of basket interference and goal tending rules.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whether it is called goaltending or basket interference by fans, the resulting call on the floor kills the play and awards the goal (or disallows the goal).

It has been a while since I officiated basketball (high school games), but the essence of the rule has not changed. If the ball is touched while any part of the ball is in the cylinder above the rim, it is a violation. If the ball is touched on its downward flight toward the basket, it is a violation. It the rim or net or backboard is touched while the ball is in the cylinder above the rim or on its downward flight, it is a violation.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Go Jackets!
Your post reminded me of something I've been thinking since the game, both the comments on Usher and the "refreshing"-ness of our performance.

That is, we've come out of the 2 week break like gangbusters. We've taken it to another level, imo, to prove that we've made the necessary leap from last year to solidify ourselves as a NCAAT-caliber team. It's almost as if we got in our preseason practice that we missed due to non-contact, and it's finally paying dividends and showing up on gameday.

I've been and still remain in the cautiously optimistic group that this will carry forward. I didn't see much prior to our hiatus to suggest we were materially better than the end of last year, when we were playing like a bubble team i.e., no slam dunk to make the tournament this year. If we carry forward what we've put on tape the last 2 games, we will cement our bid without much sweat.

As I've tried to parse through thoughts around how sustainable our performance is over the last two games, a few thoughts:
  1. Positive: In the past, it's felt like when we lose a game to a top team, we lost the game. In this case, it felt like the opponent taking it from us. While we had some bad possessions in the final stretch, we weren't victimized by our own reckless abandon and carelessness. We still made things difficult for the opponent. That is a huge step forward.
  2. Positive: We are getting contributions from a variety of players. Jordan has elevated his output to All-ACC. Khalid had some efficient minutes offensively, clearly finding his spots and not forcing it. We were highly competitive without getting much from Moses and Mike offensively. In the past we could have preordained the outcome as a rout by the opponent with just 16 points from those two.
  3. Reason to remain cautious: We've shot 60%+ from three the past two games. While I think we are a better three-point shooting team than in the past, we will not continue at that clip. Period. Imagine for a second that we make 3 fewer threes and have 9 points fewer. That means we shoot just 50% against Clemson and 40% against Virginia, both still above average clips. That materially changes the feel of both games. Caveat: The good news is our ball movement and shot selection has been much better. So it's hard to complain about the looks. But still, no team averages 60%+ over the course of a year. There are only 11 teams shooting above 40% on the year right now, and only 1 of those comes from a P6 (Baylor).
  4. Reason to remain cautious: It's two games. To stay on the trajectory of the right side of the bubble requires consistency. We've all seen it before where we string together mini-streaks, ultimately to revert back to the level of the competition. I hope this last week is a sign that we will assert our will going forward. The guys have demonstrated they can against better competition. That doesn't mean there won't be clunkers, but it doesn't take a basketball savant to see how much more efficiently we're playing on the whole and the preparedness/energy from which that comes.
Without dragging this out too much further, the other normalizing affect is Covid risk, as well as normal season injury risks. That is, we should probably expect a meaningful guy or two or three to miss games. While I don't have data to support this feeling, it feels like some of our forthcoming and past competition has had more occurrences than we have to-date, and it's not only affected who they put on the court for specific games, but when those guys return they are not always in peak performance. Hopefully our guys stay safe and we sift through the messiness unscathed, but it's impossible to know how or when we will be affected.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I just realized I'm disagreeing with an admin and will quickly admit I'm not a referee or some kind of expert. I still feel the statement was misleading after reading the rules.

The goal tending rule seems to say nothing about if "any part of the ball is above the cylinder". That language seems to be combining parts of basket interference and goal tending rules.
You are right to disagree and added to my understanding, thank you. I wasn't aware that the rule book had changed its definition.

With that being said, I still don't believe the trajectory of the ball was conclusive enough based on how I read the rule now. If I were to guess at the referee's interpretation as I've seen it called in NCAAB generally, if the ball has a chance to go in or is likely to bounce more up than out, then it's called goaltending. Seeing it real-time and on replay, I thought it was goaltending based on that interpretation. It was unfortunate because the ball seemed more likely to miss and I can't really fault Moses for the effort, but I thought it was goaltending based on how the rule has been interpreted and enforced throughout CBB.

By the way, disagree with me all you want. I'm often wrong :)

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This team had gotten better as the season has progressed. We have played like the "old" team that we are. Better offensive movement and ball rotation. Good shot selection. We are taking care of the ball. As others have stated I have been impressed with the improvement seen in Moore and Usher. Moore does not put up big offensive numbers but you can tell he is more confident. Usher has been our most improved player this year. I've been impressed with his shooting but also how he creates for others. He puts a ton of pressure on the opposing defense. This team gets contributions from a number of different players. I really wish we had someone to give Moses some more rest. May need to take him out before some of the scheduled timeouts to give him a few extra minutes.
Anyone who has been down on GT basketball the past 10 years is doing themselves a disservice if they are not watching this team. Easily the best we have played in years. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Deleted member 2897

Many really good comments on Usher's development. I've also felt that it was like watching a 2 year Moses-development-path condensed into a couple months this year. I hope it continues, he is so dynamic.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
You are right to disagree and added to my understanding, thank you. I wasn't aware that the rule book had changed its definition.

With that being said, I still don't believe the trajectory of the ball was conclusive enough based on how I read the rule now. If I were to guess at the referee's interpretation as I've seen it called in NCAAB generally, if the ball has a chance to go in or is likely to bounce more up than out, then it's called goaltending. Seeing it real-time and on replay, I thought it was goaltending based on that interpretation. It was unfortunate because the ball seemed more likely to miss and I can't really fault Moses for the effort, but I thought it was goaltending based on how the rule has been interpreted and enforced throughout CBB.

By the way, disagree with me all you want. I'm often wrong :)

Cool, maybe I've gotten too used to forums where disagreeing with the masses is a ban worthy offense. I do enjoy one place on the internet not being an echo-chamber.

The way this rule is written really makes it a judgement call. I'm just happy I don't have to judge that call on national TV. :ROFLMAO: