Georgia Tech 2021 Football Scholarship Distribution

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I have been for a couple of weeks- 2 days in all,; putting something like this together just show me just how young our players are, and looking at how many are playing a lot or a few plays per game. Also HOW FEW are seniors! If y'all were to really look at this you will realize what is going on with this season! Last I made a post about the roster and the young guys who are playing. There were so many players playing in every game that I started calling the season a practice season. Now I feel the same thing!!! And in that scope we are progressing quite a bit!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I have been for a couple of weeks- 2 days in all,; putting something like this together just show me just how young our players are, and looking at how many are playing a lot or a few plays per game. Also HOW FEW are seniors! If y'all were to really look at this you will realize what is going on with this season! Last I made a post about the roster and the young guys who are playing. There were so many players playing in every game that I started calling the season a practice season. Now I feel the same thing!!! And in that scope we are progressing quite a bit!
When are the practice seasons over?
What happens if players get cut in the off-season and we bring in more freshmen to take their place, does the practice season reset?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
When are the practice seasons over?
What happens if players get cut in the off-season and we bring in more freshmen to take their place, does the practice season reset?
Look at the position chart and look at how few positions have not many srs or jrs. Then look at the so and fr. There are way out numbering in playing time well over the upper classes. If you look at it like this and study the players and the rolls they play everyone should be excited about the future starting perhaps next year or certainly in 2 yrs. But you should see progress even this year!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
By my count, we’re starting freshmen or sophomores at the following positions:
  • QB
  • RB
  • WR
  • TE
  • OT
  • DT
  • LB
  • CB
That’s 8 of the 15 positions that are listed. There are 5 positions that are missing players from either the JR or SR class. And QB and TE don’t have any juniors or seniors. Obviously the TE position didn’t exist until CGC got here, and the QBs on the roster didn’t fit his system, but not having a single junior or senior (on scholarship) in a position room is a big deal. It’s not surprising that there are more underclassmen on the roster than upperclassmen. That’s the norm, because you can’t control attrition, and there are countless factors that can remove older guys from programs. But 59 of 85 scholarships being allotted to freshmen or sophomores is insane. That’s gotta be one of the highest totals in the country

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Look at the position chart and look at how few positions have not many srs or jrs. Then look at the so and fr. There are way out numbering in playing time well over the upper classes. If you look at it like this and study the players and the rolls they play everyone should be excited about the future starting perhaps next year or certainly in 2 yrs. But you should see progress even this year!
That's true, there is progress. I see it in the d line, rb, and o line (not counting the last game).

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
By my count, we’re starting freshmen or sophomores at the following positions:
  • QB
  • RB
  • WR
  • TE
  • OT
  • DT
  • LB
  • CB
That’s 8 of the 15 positions that are listed. There are 5 positions that are missing players from either the JR or SR class. And QB and TE don’t have any juniors or seniors. Obviously the TE position didn’t exist until CGC got here, and the QBs on the roster didn’t fit his system, but not having a single junior or senior (on scholarship) in a position room is a big deal. It’s not surprising that there are more underclassmen on the roster than upperclassmen. That’s the norm, because you can’t control attrition, and there are countless factors that can remove older guys from programs. But 59 of 85 scholarships being allotted to freshmen or sophomores is insane. That’s gotta be one of the highest totals in the country
Tremendous reply!!! Thank you!!

slugboy

Staff member
I'm counting 92 total scholarships for this season. 92 current players, 15 of which are seniors and 18 recruits. How do we have 92 players currently on scholarship?
This year has flexible limits, and seniors who stay one more year don’t count against the cap.

Also, Those rosters have all the current players on them. I’ll be shocked if David Curry plays next year, unless he’s using us to find a PhD program. He’s on that 2021 roster though

This year has flexible limits, and seniors who stay one more year don’t count against the cap.

Also, Those rosters have all the current players on them. I’ll be shocked if David Curry plays next year, unless he’s using us to find a PhD program. He’s on that 2021 roster though

My understanding is the scholarship limits would have to be increased for next year, not this year. I think this year is just a free year for seniors who wouldn't count against the 85 cap next year if they choose to return. Am I missing something here?

LibertyTurns

Banned
They need to redo the chart. A RS-Fr in his second year is much different than a Fr, etc. 1st year, 2nd year, etc gives a better distribution of the talent spread. Most teams will have less seniors because of attrition. The overall distribution should be skewed with RS-Sophs being at the median. At that point they’re either making a name for themselves or have moved along to greener pastures.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, along with the 7 walkons listed, Martin and Lee are also on the list but no longer on the team I believe.
I was about to say, Lantz and Macrina are on scholarship? Saw more names I didn't recognize too so I wondered how accurate it was as a scholarship distribution chart.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This covid season is going to be REAL interesting in affecting next season.We all are counting on our Fr and sophs to get better but better than who? How many SRs on OTHER teams are going to stick around? So the experience gap won't narrow if THEY don't loss a SR class.

btw-I was watching the uva and wake game and announcers mentioned how uva had exp and were playing almost all Jrs and Srs. ooooppps-they got blown out by 20 in 2nd half--so much for experience--hmmmm