Georgia Tech’s Option Play and Offense

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's the preferred way to do it. MUCH easier against the 1, can be like taking candy from a baby.
However, we've got some options against the 3
1) combo block him and keep the usual track for the BBack
2) "Rambo" read by the BBack - if the BBack sees a 3-tech playside, he adjusts pre-snap to auto-dive under him.

I liked (1) because it was easier to teach, but GT does (2) more often.
Imagine, Tech doing things the hard way.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me also say, to be clear, iiuc, we often/typically treat a 3 Tech tackle as strong side and option to the other side. We scoop 3techs on the backside.
Do we typically run the midline to the 3tech or either way. This will be the first year I will be able to pay closers attention.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I called it "Rambo." I think the guy I learned it from actually called it "Geronimo" on second thought. No idea what GT calls it.

We run midline to the 3 tech. If we run "midline" at a 1-tech, it's an automatic keep for the QB.
Sorta like the dreaded "duck" play...

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I called it "Rambo." I think the guy I learned it from actually called it "Geronimo" on second thought. No idea what GT calls it.

We run midline to the 3 tech. If we run "midline" at a 1-tech, it's an automatic keep for the QB.

I think we call it Geronimo too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I think we call it Geronimo too.

Rambo seems more optimistic.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

That kind of explains to me the amazingly short time an Aback spends telling the QB the play and Tech breaking the huddle. I find it really interesting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here is a question for anyone who has played football in CPJ' system. If you haven't played in his system you can make up something and I will probably believe that too.

When CPJ sends in a play, JT has the option of changing the play. Does he have a specific check off only related to three or four variables related to the play already called or can he call anything in the playbook? I have always assumed it is the former and that he has a very specific check off list depending on the play called.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is a question for anyone who has played football in CPJ' system. If you haven't played in his system you can make up something and I will probably believe that too.

When CPJ sends in a play, JT has the option of changing the play. Does he have a specific check off only related to three or four variables related to the play already called or can he call anything in the playbook? I have always assumed it is the former and that he has a very specific check off list depending on the play called.
My guess is that say a midline is called he can check it to the 3 tech. But as someone posted earlier if we run midline to a 1tech it is an automatic pull. So to keep the double option it could be checked to the 3. On the triple we usually run it from a balanced formation with two splits and two A backs in the slot. We want to check it to the side with the fewest defenders so the QB counts the defenders on either side of the center. There are 11defenders so chances are there are 5 on one side and six on the other. If the defense is even (5 on each side and 1 in the middle) then we have them out numbered on both sides so the play can go either way. This is a simplified explanation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So what I am hearing is that it is even more limited than I thought. I was thinking he had several check offs. The reason is that sometimes he is changing the play and CPJ calls time out because he doesn't seem to like what he is checking into. That led me to believe his options were more complicated. Otherwise, even changing the play is pretty much an automatic call and doesn't require a lot of thinking.

Related note. Is anyone good at reading the hand singles that the A-backs are giving to each other before the play? Is it as simple as they are just verifying which side the play is called to or is that more complicated?

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
So what I am hearing is that it is even more limited than I thought. I was thinking he had several check offs. The reason is that sometimes he is changing the play and CPJ calls time out because he doesn't seem to like what he is checking into. That led me to believe his options were more complicated. Otherwise, even changing the play is pretty much an automatic call and doesn't require a lot of thinking.

Related note. Is anyone good at reading the hand singles that the A-backs are giving to each other before the play? Is it as simple as they are just verifying which side the play is called to or is that more complicated?
I always thought that the hand signals are telling other players that the play direction is being switched. I could be completely wrong though.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My guess is that say a midline is called he can check it to the 3 tech. But as someone posted earlier if we run midline to a 1tech it is an automatic pull. So to keep the double option it could be checked to the 3. On the triple we usually run it from a balanced formation with two splits and two A backs in the slot. We want to check it to the side with the fewest defenders so the QB counts the defenders on either side of the center. There are 11defenders so chances are there are 5 on one side and six on the other. If the defense is even (5 on each side and 1 in the middle) then we have them out numbered on both sides so the play can go either way. This is a simplified explanation.

I wonder if someone who can keep all this $%^& straight in the span of 10-30 seconds while performing in front of thousands of screaming people actually find calculus and physics classes pretty simple.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I am still wondering about the lenghly instructions CPJ gives the player on the sideline bringing in the play. Said player then sprints to the huddle and appears to give the QB a quick one word translation. The QB immediately abbreviates the word and the huddle suddenly breaks. It is not a rare occurrence. ?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

I haven't studied exactly what we are doing I'm just making an educated guess. Hopefully this year I will have more time to study exactly what's going on so I can make more specific comments.