Georgia Tech’s Option Play and Offense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have an issue with one of the main details breaking down the triple option play. The author says:

Before the play a defender is designated who will be optioned for this part of the play. Usually it is the defensive tackle on the play side of the field (red in the diagram).
I thought the primary give/keep read key was the defensive end not tackle?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I have an issue with one of the main details breaking down the triple option play. The author says:

Before the play a defender is designated who will be optioned for this part of the play. Usually it is the defensive tackle on the play side of the field (red in the diagram).
For the bog-standard TO play, you're right, though obviously CPJ can change it up in-game by changing the blocking calls for the OL.

AFAIK, we read the DT by default on the midline option.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That was a very decent article. Unbiased and straightforward. The writer did do something which I thought was very subtle and clever when referring to the wishbone backs who are split out as slot receivers in the flexbone. He said, "They are called A-backs in Atlanta."

I smell a potential recruiting device. "Come be an A-back in the ATL." Atlanta, where where we name our backs with the big A.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Base inside veer is an option of the B gap defender.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our 5star qb was point guard on state champ basketball team. Last year I think we can all agree, he was great with the spread optio run.
I am in great hope that by mid season we are talking about all the roll out pass options that he is reading and completing for big gains.
Unstoppable.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was out of town and AFK when this was posted. The article is pretty good, but the analysis of Days's big run is, I think, incorrect. That was an outside veer, not some kind of disquised option used for a dive. The player optioned was the OLB. He missed the tackle on Days because he was slightly out of position due to biting on the initial inside run. Then Days ran to daylight with the entire MSU DL being pushed aside and the DB playing "assignment football" and staying with the pitch man. (Yes, it is ok for a back to run for daylight in our O.) You don't have to always option the DT/DE, iow; it depends on the numbers lineup on our strong side. And, yes, this is one of the reasons why we have so few plays and so many different blocking schemes. Making that initial call for the run side is the main reason playing QB for us is so mentally demanding. Getting to the point where you can make this call correctly even 80% of the time demands continuing practice and the right mind set.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was out of town and AFK when this was posted. The article is pretty good, but the analysis of Days's big run is, I think, incorrect. That was an outside veer, not some kind of disquised option used for a dive. The player optioned was the OLB. He missed the tackle on Days because he was slightly out of position due to biting on the initial inside run. Then Days ran to daylight with the entire MSU DL being pushed aside and the DB playing "assignment football" and staying with the pitch man. (Yes, it is ok for a back to run for daylight in our O.) You don't have to always option the DT/DE, iow; it depends on the numbers lineup on our strong side. And, yes, this is one of the reasons why we have so few plays and so many different blocking schemes. Making that initial call for the run side is the main reason playing QB for us is so mentally demanding. Getting to the point where you can make this call correctly even 80% of the time demands continuing practice and the right mind set.

Yeah, as has been said, the link isn't great on the details, esp the dive and pitch keys on inside veer triple.

On the long TD run by Days though, he was technically correct that it wasn't an option. It was a Lex Belly, where Lex refers to the unbalanced formation.

The backside ABack motion is as option fake.

We also run a Belly Option as a double option, QB and ABack, where the BBack fakes dive motion but attacks Bgap as blocker.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Reads the tackle on the dive. DE on the pitch.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I seriously would spend extra money to sit next to you guys at a game, or better yet, with a DVR. I just watch the games in amazement, with no clue how these guys do it. In my defense, I may not be a lot different than some of the coaches we face.
Where you from?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Let me also say, to be clear, iiuc, we often/typically treat a 3 Tech tackle as strong side and option to the other side. We scoop 3techs on the backside.

Yeah, that's the preferred way to do it. MUCH easier against the 1, can be like taking candy from a baby.
However, we've got some options against the 3
1) combo block him and keep the usual track for the BBack
2) "Rambo" read by the BBack - if the BBack sees a 3-tech playside, he adjusts pre-snap to auto-dive under him.

I liked (1) because it was easier to teach, but GT does (2) more often.